Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teleflex Steering Cable

So I finally got the cable out. Mad.gif Had to remove the intake thru-hull to get it out though. Mad.gif

The cable has the number SSC 13415 on it.

I have searched SKI DIM, West Marine, iBoats, among others and no one lists this number. They have a SSC 12415 "Kit" that has the rack style cable and the pinion drive unit. Can one of you dealer types please tell me if these are interchangable? I called West Marine but the guy who answered the phone was somewhat less than helpful (not to mention somewhat less than intelligent).

Anyone? Help? Please. :)

I've had my dealer help several people with this type of thing and he has sent them all over the country. They will get it to you quickly too. You can try him.

WATERSKI AMERICA

11444 N. Stemmons Freeway

Dallas, TX 75229

Sales: (972) 620-2377

Service: (972) 241-7767

Fax: (972) 241-3839

I think I would have had the correct new one in hand before pulling the old one out on a Saturday, but maybe that's just me. Crazy.gif I got mine from Peter at SmoothWaterSports so I could be sure it was right. WaterSKi America is good, or a dealer near you. Guess for now you get to go back inside and watch some tackle football on the TV. Biggrin.gif

I think I would have had the correct new one in hand before pulling the old one out on a Saturday, but maybe that's just me. Crazy.gif  . . .Guess for now you get to go back inside and watch some tackle football on the TV. Biggrin.gif

ROFL.gif

I think I would have had the correct new one in hand before pulling the old one out on a Saturday, but maybe that's just me.

Tongue.gif To you too. ;) Having the old one in wasn't doing me any good. :(

As far as watching football...no TV...but I do have buddies with boats in operating condition. :) In fact, it just so happens that I'm on my way out the door to catch a few sets right now. Tongue.gif See y'all later.

Oh, and thanks for the tip on sources. I'll try them either when I get back this afternoon or next week. Right now.....it's time to ski. Yahoo.gif

Having the old one in wasn't doing me any good. :(

Hank, you may have heard about Michael's control problem? In fact, his profile info lists his boat as a Swampster. I, for one, am glad he's getting out on the water today. I think he needs therapy of some kind or another. Help.gif

Having the old one in wasn't doing me any good. :(

Hank, you may have heard about Michael's control problem? In fact, his profile info lists his boat as a Swampster. I, for one, am glad he's getting out on the water today. I think he needs therapy of some kind or another. Help.gif

Hey, I hadn't thought of blaming The Swampster Incident on the steering cable. Biggrin.gif

Got some hydro-therapy today. Yahoo.gif It was wonderful. Yahoo.gif

Michael - did you try calling Malibu for the part number? Probably not the case on your boat, but there were two cables for my boat (a std and heavy duty one) They had different helm fittings.

I'd just double check both ends before starting the install - seems like a dumb point, but mine looked similar (didn't hold them next to each other) but the bolt holes didn't line up :Doh: Had to do the install twice

Good luck - I'm sure it'll drive like a dream again with that new cable

I got my cable at Boatfix.com.  They have yours:

You are the man. Notworthy.gif

I'm sure it'll drive like a dream again with that new cable

It better!! What a PITA!! Mad.gif

Oh well, atleast I got to ski on Saturday. Yahoo.gif I skied behind a late 80's Mastercraft Open Bow (not sure of the model name) and while it didn't have the holeshot of my Sporty I gotta say that I was impressed with the wake. Walk-thru open bow with wood floors....that thing has got to weigh a couple of tons but it had an impressively small wake. Thumbup.gif

I got my cable at Boatfix.com.  They have yours:

You are the man. Notworthy.gif

I know. Biggrin.gif

No thanks necessary, just send $$$$. j/k

Or, better yet, give me a pull next time I'm down CA - If you look to the left you will notice that my location is: In Transition - I'll updat that soon.

Or, better yet, give me a pull next time I'm down CA - If you look to the left you will notice that my location is: In Transition - I'll update that soon.

Shocking.gif Lost a Nor Cal.... Cry.gif ....Whahappen? Crazy.gif

Absolutely you have a pull. Thumbup.gif GT & Hoover are coming out in January. :)

Got the cable ordered from boatfix.com....$113 including UPS.... Thumbup.gif ....the Nor Cal Malibu dealership wanted $189.99 plus tax to special order it.

Thanks again. :)

Or, better yet, give me a pull next time I'm down CA - If you look to the left you will notice that my location is: In Transition - I'll update that soon.

Shocking.gif Lost a Nor Cal.... Cry.gif ....Whahappen? Crazy.gif

Absolutely you have a pull. Thumbup.gif GT & Hoover are coming out in January. :)

Got the cable ordered from boatfix.com....$113 including UPS.... Thumbup.gif ....the Nor Cal Malibu dealership wanted $189.99 plus tax to special order it.

Thanks again. :)

BIG surprise there.

• 2 weeks later...

Yahoo.gif Huge PITA, but man what a difference. From two hand crank back to one finger spin it. Yahoo.gif Hope this one lasts a little longer, that was ridiculous.

mrothwell - Thanks again for the "boatfix.com" link (linked right to the product, now that's service). Thumbup.gif Ready to update your location yet?

Yahoo.gif Huge PITA, but man what a difference. From two hand crank back to one finger spin it. Yahoo.gif Hope this one lasts a little longer, that was ridiculous.

mrothwell - Thanks again for the "boatfix.com" link (linked right to the product, now that's service). Thumbup.gif Ready to update your location yet?

Yes I am.

Thumbup.gif Glad to here you got the cable changed out. Was the stiff cable a result of swampster incident?

Whistling.gif

Was the stiff cable a result of swampster incident?

You know....I hadn't even thought of that but sounds reasonable. The water was a little deep that day (inside the boat, that is Crazy.gif ) and that cable was completely submerged. Cry.gif

Good thing I gave up such foolishness. Biggrin.gif

mrothwell - Job transfer? What would take you to Meridian, ID?

Michael, steer me to the swampster thread...I guess I missed that whole sordid affair. Maybe that's why you had to take your short sabbatical?

Maybe that's why you had to take your short sabbatical?

I don't really want to open that all up again. Here's the description of what happen (from "that" thread)....and yes, "that" thread was the beginning of the implosion. Innocent.gif

I thought that I would finally share the details of what happened at Lake McClure the morning of May 30, 2005....

It was Memorial Day. Troy (SacRiverRat) and I had gotten up early and were looking for a 3rd. We went out to the houseboat and everyone was passed out and unwilling to participate. We were feeling discouraged until Brad (barefooth2oskier) agreed to drive for us. 

Troy and I got our pulls in, all was right with the world.  When we got back to the houseboat to drop Brad off Justin (Malibudude) was finally awake and wanted a pull. Back out we go...Brad was feeling better at this point and also took a couple of runs. As the morning passed the wind kicked up and the wallies showed up so we finished up.

As we were heading for the houseboat, with Justin sitting in the observers seat and Brad & Troy sitting on the floor in the back, Justin leans over and whispers "Do a bat-turn and get'em wet". I resisted at first but eventually caved (I'm weak). So doing 42 mph I cut the throttle and spin the wheel to starboard...my little Sporty does a textbook 360* flat spin and I throttle out of it. Great fun...except everyone is still dry.  Hmmm, maybe a couple more mph's will put some water in.... 

2nd attempt at getting Troy & Brad wet went something like this...45 mph, cut throttle, spin wheel to starboard...Aaaahhhh!!  ...not exactly sure what caused it but water was coming from everywhere!! There was water coming over the windshield, water coming over the gunnels, there was even some water coming over the bimini (how the he!! does that happen?  ). Needless to say, the second attempt was successful. 

We had about 3" of standing water in the bottom of the boat. Had to lift the engine cover slightly to allow it into the bilge so the bilge pump could get rid of it. At one point, my CD case floated by. 

Hence my Sportster LX became the "Swampster LX", I still need to talk to Eric at domednumbers.com about getting dripmolds made.

Don't try this at home, kiddies. Crazy.gif

mrothwell - Job transfer?  What would take you to Meridian, ID?

I grew up in Idaho and all my family is still in Idaho. I lived in So Cal for about 10 years until I couldn't stand all the people and concrete any longer. Then I moved to No Cal and really liked it there for 7 years. The last couple years I and my wife have been looking into the Boise area because we were getting tired of all the people in No Cal. Along with that, house prices were shooting up and I couldn't stand the politics in CA any longer. We also decided that it would be nice to live close to family again and let the kids get to know their Grandparents and cousins a little better.

So, we loaded up the Suburban and the boat and moved to Boise for a couple months to see if we liked it there. I grew up on a farm about 3 hours away and had never lived in Boise, so we wanted to have a "trial" period. We kept our house in EDH and had some friends move in to house-sit for us. A few weeks ago, we made the decision to stay and we bought a house in Meridian. I am a database administrator and contract out, just happens that for the past year and half I have been working for HP. They have a big facility in Boise, and my project manager said it was fine for me to work from there. The stars all aligned and we decided to stay. Now I gotta go get the rest of my stuff from EDH and sell the house.

Anybody want a nice house in EDH - I'll make a good deal if I don't have to go thru a Realtor ( the thiefs ).