Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL

MY O6 VLX WITH 340 HP MONSOON IDLES HIGH 1200 RPMS OR MORE WHEN GOING INTO NEUTRAL. A SLIGHT GOOSE ON THE THROTLE RETURND RPMS TO NORMAL. THE ETC CONTROL WAS REPLACED BY DEALER 20 MONTHS AGO TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM. WENT OUT OF WARRANTY LAST YEAR. SHOULD DEALER REPLACE AGAIN AT NO CHARGE? OR DO I JUST PAY FOR A NEW ONE EVERY 2 YEARS.

Funny, I logged in this morning to post the exact same thing. I have an '06 Response LXi w/ monsoon. Intermittently the boat is idling high (+200 to +1200 over normal. Turning the boat off and on always resolves the immediate issue. I have noticed that this issue will effect the boat while driving too but it is obviously easier to detect when in neutral.

The other issues that seems closely related is that while slowly backing off the throttle/speed the engine seems to stop responding to the deceleration and simply maintains speed. Eventually when you move the throttle back far enough the engine will respond with a big/sudden bleed off of power as if it is trying to catch up on the deceleration which it had missed while I was pulling the throttle back. I have noticed that this issue can easily be repeated within the same RPM range. Like the idling issue above, this seems to come and go depending on the day.

I was talking with a buddy of mine this past weekend about these two issues and he said that his boat is having the exact same two issue (idling high and decelerating throttle dead spot) intermittently as well. He has an '07 Sunscape w/ monsoon. So for he has put $700 into it and the problem continues.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know of the solution. Seems to be something that is happening to a number of people. I found a post that suggest re-flashing the software. I don't think there was any confirmation that this worked.

I was on this boat while these problems occurred and in addition to the issues already mentioned, the fuel pump is starting to whine. Also, at one point during a week long lake trip the boat started with the engine idling very rough and then it died and would not start again after several attempts (vapor lock???). We were starting to make arrangements to get towed in and after about 10 minutes it fired up again without any problems, aside of the aforementioned acceleration/deceleration issues for the remainder of the week.

I read through several posts which led me to believe that this is possibly a fuel filter issue (inline filter or the small screen is clogged as described in other posts). Does anyone know the part #’s for the inline fuel filter for a 2006 monsoon?

I was on this boat while these problems occurred and in addition to the issues already mentioned, the fuel pump is starting to whine. Also, at one point during a week long lake trip the boat started with the engine idling very rough and then it died and would not start again after several attempts (vapor lock???). We were starting to make arrangements to get towed in and after about 10 minutes it fired up again without any problems, aside of the aforementioned acceleration/deceleration issues for the remainder of the week.

I read through several posts which led me to believe that this is possibly a fuel filter issue (inline filter or the small screen is clogged as described in other posts). Does anyone know the part #’s for the inline fuel filter for a 2006 monsoon?

NAPA #3299

Funny, I logged in this morning to post the exact same thing. I have an '06 Response LXi w/ monsoon. Intermittently the boat is idling high (+200 to +1200 over normal. Turning the boat off and on always resolves the immediate issue. I have noticed that this issue will effect the boat while driving too but it is obviously easier to detect when in neutral.

The other issues that seems closely related is that while slowly backing off the throttle/speed the engine seems to stop responding to the deceleration and simply maintains speed. Eventually when you move the throttle back far enough the engine will respond with a big/sudden bleed off of power as if it is trying to catch up on the deceleration which it had missed while I was pulling the throttle back. I have noticed that this issue can easily be repeated within the same RPM range. Like the idling issue above, this seems to come and go depending on the day.

I was talking with a buddy of mine this past weekend about these two issues and he said that his boat is having the exact same two issue (idling high and decelerating throttle dead spot) intermittently as well. He has an '07 Sunscape w/ monsoon. So for he has put $700 into it and the problem continues.

Anyone else have this issue and/or know of the solution. Seems to be something that is happening to a number of people. I found a post that suggest re-flashing the software. I don't think there was any confirmation that this worked.

You may have a bad TPS sensor. (throttle position sensor) you can check it with a VOM meter if you have one.

FYI - I did get a response from my local Malibu dealer with a fix for the high RPM idle issue from Indmar. I have the PDF which describes the simple fix but don't see how to load an attachment. Am I missing something or have I not yet earned my stripes to post an attachment on this site?