Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Jimmy Buffett

No way I get close to 13 or 14 mpg.  I'm going to try driving like a granny the next couple days and see what I get...I wonder if the computer is wrong.

Keep in mind that the avg. mpg computer readout measures the actual air mass flow into your engine and that is how it is calculated. It by no means 100% accurate because of that. It doesn't calculate the amount of gas you are actually burning. Things like changing the air filter to a different brand or new one can make a difference in what it reads. It would be interesting to know if you are actually getting that low of gas milage if you calculate it on your own at the pump when you refill. If so, you might want to get it looked at.

I use a Volvo V70R to tow my V-ride. I tow locally only and only once every few months. It does just fine. The base model Volvo wagons are 168 HP and have a tow rating of 3300 lbs. Mine has 300hp and huge Brembo's to boot. Stopping is a non-issue especially with trailer brakes. Accel is better than the F-150 I used to tow with (had the 5.4L Tritan). I wouldn't attempt a long trip >1-2 hours (especially in the hot summer months, which would be hard on the turbo), but around town it is awesome. Oh, and I get about 28mpg Highway. The only thing I am really careful with is pulling it out of the water. My V70R is a 6-speed manual and if you aren't a good driver you could probably fry the clutch pretty easily with all that weight. That said tranny heat build up is not an issue once you get the load moving. Anyway.....Food for thought.

If you are talking about buying a new 4Runner, go with the V8. It has a lot more torque and the price wasn't that much more. The V6 is good, but the V8 is much better for towing. Toyota now lists the tow rating for the V8 4Runner at 7700lbs.

If you are talking about buying a new 4Runner, go with the V8.  It has a lot more torque and the price wasn't that much more.  The V6 is good, but the V8 is much better for towing.  Toyota now lists the tow rating for the V8 4Runner at 7700lbs.

The website says 7300.

I want to see a picture of the V70 with the I-ride!