Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Use boat buying...your take?

martho

I would have taken a closed bow over our open bow but the OB was what made it a "family" boat. And getting a family boat was one of my wife's requirements. :(

My biggest concern with a 10 year old boat would be that 10 years ago boat manufacturers were still using wood in the stringers and floors. Wood is not only heavy, it rots. :(

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martho

• NorCaliBu

• Malibudude

• JohnDoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True about the rotting, but those stringers are encased in fiberglass.

IMO, don't be afraid of a wooden-strung boat, has much less vibration. Although thay can rot, many people think that wooden stringers are in fact superior. But, fiberglass was cheaper and MC was busting CC's chops in marketing so CC (I believe the last of the wood-users) finally regrettably switched. That said, many other new construction techniques help the vibration issues. I'm not saying that I wouldn't prefer glass stringers, but I wouldn't be afraid of a wood strung boat either. Interior components, now thats a different story!

If the price is right, thats a sweet looking boat. Just don't plan to barefoot behind it.

I would have taken a closed bow over our open bow but the OB was what made it a "family" boat.  And getting a family boat was one of my wife's requirements. :(

My biggest concern with a 10 year old boat would be that 10 years ago boat manufacturers were still using wood in the stringers and floors.  Wood is not only heavy, it rots. :(

In 1995 most brands/models had phased out wood contruction.

I would have taken a closed bow over our open bow but the OB was what made it a "family" boat.  And getting a family boat was one of my wife's requirements. :(

My biggest concern with a 10 year old boat would be that 10 years ago boat manufacturers were still using wood in the stringers and floors.  Wood is not only heavy, it rots. :(

Thats a good point. I guess wood/fiberglass discussion doesn't even matter if has no wood!

Most? :unsure: MC, CC, & Bu....yes, but there are still some using wood today.

Im gonna add something here.  MC/CC/Bu are the boats of discussion.  no other brands

I was making that comment as the original question was specifically referencing MC/CC/Bu.

Im gonna add something here.   MC/CC/Bu are the boats of discussion.   no other brands

I was making that comment as the original question was specifically referencing MC/CC/Bu.

Uh, actually.....the original question did not have that parameter. Tongue.gif

My comment was less brand specific but you knew that and just wanted to be a bu++head, no? Crazy.gif

Im gonna add something here.   MC/CC/Bu are the boats of discussion.   no other brands

Uh, actually.....the original question did not have that parameter. Tongue.gif

My comment was less brand specific but you knew that and just wanted to be a bu++head, no? Crazy.gif

It was the 4th post that was clarifying the orginial post. :) So see I'm still correct ;)

It was the 4th post that was clarifying the orginial post. :) So see I'm still correct ;)

The 4th post is the original post? Hmm, whenever I count things I always start with the number 1, not the number 4. Tongue.gif Are you looking at getting into politics? Redefining the word "original" maybe? It depends on what you mean by "original".... Crazy.gif

Oh, and if you were correct...(but you're not)...it would be a first. Tease.gif But hey, there's a first time for everything so keep trying, it's bound to happen eventually. Biggrin.gif

I didn't say question 4 was the original posted question, rather it clarified the true intent of question 1.

This is getting silly but.......Wrongo!!

Would you look at a 10 year old boat with 250 hours on it?

Curious as to how you would approach a 10 year old boat for sale.

Im gonna add something here.  MC/CC/Bu are the boats of discussion.

The brand specification was added it was not a clarification. Tongue.gif You can't wiggle out of this one, boy.

I didn't say question 4 was the original posted question, rather it clarified the true intent of question 1.

This is getting silly but.......Wrongo!!

Would you look at a 10 year old boat with 250 hours on it?

Curious as to how you would approach a 10 year old boat for sale.

Im gonna add something here.   MC/CC/Bu are the boats of discussion.

The brand specification was added it was not a clarification. Tongue.gif You can't wiggle out of this one, boy.

See in #23 he was thinking of a 10 year old CC boat all along. Therefore, I'm correct as posts #4 & #23 support the true intent of question #1. Are you ready to throw something yet Biggrin.gif

You're hopeless. But I guess I am too for arguing this with you. Crazy.gif I'm arguing semantics and implied intent with someone who types as though English is his second language. ROFL.gif

Have a nice afternoon, M-Dude. :)

Aren't you supposed to be out on the course anyway..  It's always fun to argue w/ ya.  :lol:

Yes.gif But it's RAINING!! Mad.gif

I don't mind the cold but rain hitting the eyeballs hurts. The rain is supposed to stop in a little bit so I'll be out this week-end. Yahoo.gif