Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brown spots on hull

pablo

Just noticed the other day that there were some small brownish yellowish spots on the lower sides of the hull. I've tried scrubbing them off with no luck. I've tried everything including acetone. Talked to someone at a boat shop and he said that it was probably just color that got soaked into the hull. He said that I should just wax the boat and that over time like a couple months the spots would be gone. The boat only has 50 hours and has not sat in the water for more than a few hours at a time. I've always wiped it down after each time out. Guess I'll try waxing it and see if the spots disappear. I have never waxed it before and not sure if the original owner ever did either. Hopefully that's all it is

No sympathy here. My boat sits in the water all season and the hull looks gross when I finally take it out. It is one giant yellowish-brown spot.

If I were you I would throw the boat over a cliff and buy a new one.

Try a 50/50 mixture of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. Spray it on the hull, then scrub, rinse, and scrub again if it's still there. My boat sits in a river all Summer long and the entire hull below the water line turns brown. Just spraying this mixture on turns it white as soon as it hits it, then scrub it in and take care of the rest. Whoever came up with that is a genius, I owe it to this forum for introducing me to it.

Try a 50/50 mixture of Lysol toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide. Spray it on the hull, then scrub, rinse, and scrub again if it's still there. My boat sits in a river all Summer long and the entire hull below the water line turns brown. Just spraying this mixture on turns it white as soon as it hits it, then scrub it in and take care of the rest. Whoever came up with that is a genius, I owe it to this forum for introducing me to it.

:plus1:

I have used this several times with great success. One thing to point out is not to get it on any metal parts. I put some water on the driveway and the trailer before wiping it on the hull. It instantly "melted" off the stains without so much as scrubbing.

I mix it in a glass mixing bowl from the kitchen (ssssssssssshhhh, don't tell my wife).

Just noticed the other day that there were some small brownish yellowish spots on the lower sides of the hull. I've tried scrubbing them off with no luck. I've tried everything including acetone. Talked to someone at a boat shop and he said that it was probably just color that got soaked into the hull. He said that I should just wax the boat and that over time like a couple months the spots would be gone. The boat only has 50 hours and has not sat in the water for more than a few hours at a time. I've always wiped it down after each time out. Guess I'll try waxing it and see if the spots disappear. I have never waxed it before and not sure if the original owner ever did either. Hopefully that's all it is

Muratic Acid Then Wax it, The muratic should take it right off

There are lots of different products that will clean scummy hulls. How strong do you want to go? Starbite instant hulll cleaner is fairly mild as well as most toilet bowl cleaners. Products like muratic acid or anything with hydrochloric acid will work really well but use extreme caution with any acid, wear googles for sure, and old clothes, this stuff is also murder on your trailor.

Come to the gulf coast and talk to a BP claims adjuster. They're dying to give out $. Some of the fishing boats that go offshore came back with totally black hulls, its crazy.

• 9 years later...

I have the same issue, so why does the fiberglass turn yellow/brown after a short time in the water? how can this be preventer? and yes i buff and coat the bottom with a polamer polish, i have also used 3M marine Boat Wax same results , what is the cure ?

46 minutes ago, Ski said:

I have the same issue, so why does the fiberglass turn yellow/brown after a short time in the water? how can this be preventer? and yes i buff and coat the bottom with a polamer polish, i have also used 3M marine Boat Wax same results , what is the cure ?

Because your lake water is gross ;)

Not much you can do if your water is scummy other than get used to cleaning the boat periodically.