Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Board for a New Rider

aoblak

Good Morning

I'm planning on trying surfing for the first time next season and I would like a suggestion on what board or boards I should look at purchasing. I'm 5'-10" and weight 145 lbs but I would also like other people to be able to ride the board and none of the people weight over 200 lbs or under 100 lbs. I keep reading all the posts about surfing and I feel that it's time to give it a try.

Thanks

Allen

Cheers.gif

My boats not out of the water yet. We went surfing on Sunday. I had my boxers on under my full wetsuit and they didn't even get wet. We start from the swim platform and end on it too. Neither of us have let go of the rope lately because we don't want to get left behind and sink.

This weekend's going to be "not freezing", why don't you come out with us and try my 5'6" landlock.

I'll be pulling the boat out of the water sunday.

landlocks tend to be most riders 1st board...readily available and a fairly easy ride....but as your riding progresses so does your board....of the dozen or so boards we have been thru i would have to say hands down the phase 5 icon is my favorite

tj-

JasonK, I appreciate the offer, let me talk to my wife and see what my schedule is this weekend and I will send you an email. Once again thank you

It will be hard to find a board that will work for that kind of range. You may want to check out the Inland Surfers - the Green Room is their beginner & the Blue is supposed to be excellent for intermediate riders. The Green Room is very easy to ride with a lot of flotation (much more than the Hyperlite products, this makes it easier on larger riders). A lot of this will depend on how you set your boat up. If you go with a lot of ballast & plan on creating a huge wave, then the HL boards will work fine (although a 5'6" Broadcast/Landlock will have small people running into the back of the boat, you may want a smaller board for those folks). If you're just going to use stock ballast, then a board with more flotation like the Inland boards, CWB Ride or Liquid Force Skimskate will work a little better for you. JM2C. :)

It will be hard to find a board that will work for that kind of range.  You may want to check out the Inland Surfers - the Green Room is their beginner & the Blue is supposed to be excellent for intermediate riders.  The Green Room is very easy to ride with a lot of flotation (much more than the Hyperlite products, this makes it easier on larger riders).  A lot of this will depend on how you set your boat up.  If you go with a lot of ballast & plan on creating a huge wave, then the HL boards will work fine (although a 5'6" Broadcast/Landlock will have small people running into the back of the boat, you may want a smaller board for those folks).  If you're just going to use stock ballast, then a board with more flotation like the Inland boards, CWB Ride or Liquid Force Skimskate will work a little better for you.  JM2C.  :)

Only thing I would add is, go right past the Landlock and get the 5'6" Broadcast. You'll out grow the Landlock very quickly.

BTW, I tried a 06 Hyperlite Landlock 6'1" a couple of weekends ago Vomit.gif Slower than slow, too much bouyancy, worst board I have ever rode. It sucked!

I also would have to say the 5'6" to start out with, but after a few weeks you will want to move to a fast more responsive board like the phase 5, red chubby, or the 4'9" broadcast. Just hanging out behind the boat get old after some time and you will want to start carving hard.

I guess that I should just worry about a board for myself, the boat will be an 06 wakesetter VLX with the power wedge and then I will figure out the extra ballast after that.

It will be hard to find a board that will work for that kind of range.  You may want to check out the Inland Surfers - the Green Room is their beginner & the Blue is supposed to be excellent for intermediate riders.  The Green Room is very easy to ride with a lot of flotation (much more than the Hyperlite products, this makes it easier on larger riders).  A lot of this will depend on how you set your boat up.  If you go with a lot of ballast & plan on creating a huge wave, then the HL boards will work fine (although a 5'6" Broadcast/Landlock will have small people running into the back of the boat, you may want a smaller board for those folks).  If you're just going to use stock ballast, then a board with more flotation like the Inland boards, CWB Ride or Liquid Force Skimskate will work a little better for you.  JM2C.  :)

Only thing I would add is, go right past the Landlock and get the 5'6" Broadcast. You'll out grow the Landlock very quickly.

BTW, I tried a 06 Hyperlite Landlock 6'1" a couple of weekends ago Vomit.gif Slower than slow, too much bouyancy, worst board I have ever rode. It sucked!

Yes the 6'1 land lock is possible worse than ridding a sheet of plywood. I personally had good luck with the islandsurfer the green one. Also might want to check out the size down from the 6'1 hyperlite board.

You're buying a BOMB of a boat. But what is your experience? Do you have any experience surfing? Skateboarding? If not then there's a good chance it'll take you a season to really learn how to find and hold the sweet spot.

There will ALWAYS be beginners on your boat, people that will want to learn to surf. If you only have an advanced board they will never be able to learn.

I'd recommend the Landlock. But if you have no experience surfing I'd recommend a Butter Board. Much more bouyant, and shaped just like a surfboard. It has a rubber tipped nose standard as well. This will help your transom. It will always be a great board for beginners.

Good luck!

I used to skateboard, and I have never surfed, I just keep reading everybody's posts about surfing so I figure that I'll give it a try. Obviously the boat that I currently own would have no problems wake surfing if I want to. I really appreciate everybody help, please keep the information coming.

I just bought a Phase5 Oogle, to me it would be just as easy to learn on as a 5'6" Landlock/Broadcast and will also give you the ability to be more aggressive when the time comes. Out of the boards I have ridden/own (5'6" Landlock, 5'6" real surfboard, Large TrickBoardz, 5' and a 4'8" Liquid Force surf skate) the Phase5 Oogle is the best all around board I have ridden so far, have a look Link

Obviously the boat that I currently own would have no problems wake surfing if I want to.

Shocking.gifShocking.gifShocking.gif That boat puts out a sweet wake. Yahoo.gif I have had the 2" from the top of the deck with 2 people inside and two 750lb bags 3/4 way filled.

The power wedge will be sweet for you to have and my not need to much in the fat sac area.

muahahaha...u always need more in the fat sac area ;)

*cough*justdontforgettomovepeoplearoundwhenreturningtopickupyourrider*cough*

tj-

Makes me hungry for a big dip out of the chili pot... Surprised.gif

I'd be surprised if he needs any more ballast than stock with the Power Wedge.

With what we saw on the 247 I would think that he will need some ballast (stock or after market) to keep the bow down with the power wedge at the half way setting.

The new VLX has a lot of bow rise to contend with, of that there's no doubt (more so IMO than the 23' boats & I would assume the 247 as well). From the perspective of purely wake shape & size, the stock ballast (as long as he gets the front ballast) will be plenty with the help of the Power Wedge. But getting more weight up front will definitely be a good thing for a variety of reasons.

Edited by WakeGirl