Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.1 Vortex wake

jody house

Thanks, think you are very right. Sometimes it just helps hearing it from someone else. 30% more fuel is a fairly big deal these days. Its already bad enough pumping $130 + worth of gas in these things during a normal weekend...

But its cool to be fast!

Thanks, think you are very right. Sometimes it just helps hearing it from someone else. 30% more fuel is a fairly big deal these days. Its already bad enough pumping $130 + worth of gas in these things during a normal weekend...

But its cool to be fast!

You're preaching to the choir. :lol: On the subject of gas, we filled up both the boat & truck the other day & both were near "E". $220 later we rolled out of the gas station. Maybe I'm glad that we don't have 2 8.1s to feed.

But its cool to be fast!

You're preaching to the choir. :lol: On the subject of gas, we filled up both the boat & truck the other day & both were near "E". $220 later we rolled out of the gas station. Maybe I'm glad that we don't have 2 8.1s to feed.

WOW. I had thought one time how cool it would be to have a 25LSV with the big block. That extra power would be a blast but I'm already in it for $160 bucks as is with the little Sunsetter and the Hemi.

I am hoping that you guys are getting double AMEX miles for all of that gas. Biggrin.gif

But its cool to be fast!

At that price I could fill up my car about 6 times or go about 2600 miles Shocking.gif

I'm going to have to start using a card with some sort of rewards/points system.

I figure that if we are getting railed like we are for gas, I might as well get "something" back out of it.

I did however impose a " Good Times" tariff on my regulars who always pitch in.

Edited by Headhunter 2317

Ive been ridding with no ballast to try and help save on gas. Its helping work on my form, or lack of, and not worring about going huge.

Ive been ridding with no ballast to try and help save on gas. Its helping work on my form, or lack of, and not worring about going huge.

No doubt that ballast eats gas. Worrying more about your form is always going to serve you well - good form will get you to the going huge stage faster.

LOL, I boarded behind the new boat for the first time the other day & it was with full ballast. Let's just say that I've never, ever been terrified of a wake prior to that point in my life. :lol: I'd cut out to get set up for a wake crossing, then I'd see that wall of water approaching & all I could think about was my ribcage that is slowly mending itself from our last outing at Shasta. I'll be dumping all ballast before my next run behind the new boat. I'll just use the excuse of "saving on gas costs". Biggrin.gif

LOL, I boarded behind the new boat for the first time the other day & it was with full ballast.  Let's just say that I've never, ever been terrified of a wake prior to that point in my life.  :lol:  I'd cut out to get set up for a wake crossing, then I'd see that wall of water approaching & all I could think about was my ribcage that is slowly mending itself from our last outing at Shasta.  I'll be dumping all ballast before my next run behind the new boat.  I'll just use the excuse of "saving on gas costs".  Biggrin.gif

:)

LOL, I boarded behind the new boat for the first time the other day & it was with full ballast.  Let's just say that I've never, ever been terrified of a wake prior to that point in my life.  :lol:  I'd cut out to get set up for a wake crossing, then I'd see that wall of water approaching & all I could think about was my ribcage that is slowly mending itself from our last outing at Shasta.  I'll be dumping all ballast before my next run behind the new boat.  I'll just use the excuse of "saving on gas costs".  Biggrin.gif

You can't be scared of it if you can't see it. Just start your approach (edging really hard) and then close your eyes and fly Crazy.gif

Wakegirl the same thing happened to me, first time ridding behind the new boat, dad says well we bought the wakeboard edition one why not use the ballast and wedge, keep in mind i had ridden behind a 87 four winns, with an ankle high wake. so I was scared to say the least. Well now ill ride with the wedge, adds a bit of kick, and not too much load on the boat.

Yeah, I just need to take baby steps with the wake. With everything full & the wedge down, it's really vertical with a really vicious looking lip at the top. Like I said, no ballast next time & I bet that it's still bigger than the yellow boat's was with all ballast & wedge. Crazy.gif I'm more than happy to work on form. :lol:

Yeah, I just need to take baby steps with the wake.  With everything full & the wedge down, it's really vertical with a really vicious looking lip at the top.  Like I said, no ballast next time & I bet that it's still bigger than the yellow boat's was with all ballast & wedge.  Crazy.gif  I'm more than happy to work on form.  :lol:

You can do it! :)

Wakegirl,

I know what you mean. I went from a runabout to an 05 VLX, back in Feb. Have put 270 hours on since then, and STILL have the "oh $h*t's when I am heading at that wake. I usually run full MLS, and about 450 in lead. If I really want to be scared, I fill the two 400 lb sacks, and go for it! Like Jetskipro550 said, just close my eyes and hit it! Surprised.gifSurprised.gifSurprised.gif It's the landings I am working on! Crazy.gif

Looks like you've changed your sights on a bit different boat from your first post.

I've been behind a WLSV w/ an 8.1. It is an absolute beast

It did have more top end. But the holeshot was incredible. When I drove, i was using way less throttle to get my buddy up.

i wonder how this would translate into gas usage: less rpm's = better fuel economy

This has been discussed before - in the same boat, driven in the same manner, the fuel burn should be similar. With that said, the 8.1 gives you more opportunity (more hp) to burn more fuel... and accelerate quicker. That will burn more fuel.

Your choice - I'd go for the more HP myself.. The two motors shouldn't consume significantly different amounts of fuel at a given output level.