Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

8.1 Vortex Engine

jody house

I'd be all over it - is the boat the color you want, is the price right, and in good condition?

On second thought... buy the boat, but that 8.1 sucks... since you are a new guy, I'll make you a deal -I'll trade you the 8.1 for my more economical monsoon... Biggrin.gif

It'll pass everything on the lake with the exception of a gas pump. :lol: Seriously, I've seen reports of up to 30% more fuel useage with the 8.1 vs. the Monsoon. My dealer has also commented that it's harder to work on & maintain. Even with that said though, I wouldn't mind having one in the boat. We have that motor in our tow rig & it's a beast.

It'll pass everything on the lake with the exception of a gas pump.  :lol:  Seriously, I've seen reports of up to 30% more fuel useage with the 8.1 vs. the Monsoon.  My dealer has also commented that it's harder to work on & maintain.  Even with that said though, I wouldn't mind having one in the boat.  We have that motor in our tow rig & it's a beast.

could you imagine the new 8.1 in an 06vlx....sounds like a good idea. i know you could get the 8.1 python in the 210 ski antiques. not sure if it's still possible, but man, 450 hp in a 21.5 foot boat....god, that'd be incredible.

I do not see why they do not offer it. From my understanding the depth of the motor box on the 23 and 21.5 are the same. I could very will be wrong but seem to remember hearing that at one point. Heck I would even take a hump in the sun deck to have the 8.1.

I've been in that boat with that engine - it totally rocks! The gas factor is certainly an issue but I'd gladly take the tradeoff. I think the new Hammerhead is a good match for the LSV as well. I just spent three solid days behind that combination with the boat fully weighted and the wedge down. No problems at all. I think the Monsoon is a bit underpowered for the fully weighted LSV (but I like to really pack in the weight). Bottom line, I've owned the LSV with the 335 Monsoon and ridden behind LSV's with both other options - and the HH would be my 1st choice followed closely by the 8.1.

The 8.1 also provides some extra built-in ballast on that boat. JeffK pulled 8 wakeboarders from the water at a recent ski show in an LSV with the 8.1 and had no problems (actually the only problem was the tower didn't like that much load so he switched to the pylon and off they went).

I do not see why they do not offer it. From my understanding the depth of the motor box on the 23 and 21.5 are the same. I could very will be wrong but seem to remember hearing that at one point. Heck I would even take a hump in the sun deck to have the 8.1.

I don't think it's the depth, but the length. In my boat, the HH (basically the same block size as a Monsoon) is absolutely jammed/wedged in there. I can't see a big block fitting, even if it's only a few inches (it's that close).

It'll pass everything on the lake with the exception of a gas pump.  :lol:  Seriously, I've seen reports of up to 30% more fuel useage with the 8.1 vs. the Monsoon.  My dealer has also commented that it's harder to work on & maintain.  Even with that said though, I wouldn't mind having one in the boat.  We have that motor in our tow rig & it's a beast.

The 8.1 flat out hauls! We were on Nacimiento a couple of weekends ago and saw a 06 23 LSV with a 8.1, and it was screaming.

That puppy will cost you about another $50+ to operate a day. But can you really put a price on WOW!

If the 8.1 fits any tighter than the Monsoon, it would be a maintenance nightmare. My '04 VLX has plenty of HP for us, but basic maintenance is difficult - to say the least. Getting to the impeller to change it out requires working blind and laying on top tf the engine - getting the filter screens out of the v-drive to clean them requires hiring a midget, and I do not even want to think about the transmission filter way up under there Cry.gif

• 4 weeks later...

The 8.1 barely fits in the motor compartment of the 23. Changing the oil filter is a nightare due to the tightness of the quarters.

Other than that the 8.1 litre rocks!!! For 2006 they reinforced the tranny to accomidate the torque of the 8.1.

Gas is about the same (maybe 5-10% more) due to the fact that the motor doesn't have to strain to get to speed when weighted down.

On the older 8.1 (2004-2005) you will notice vapor locking when you are on hard throttle and drop to neutral. This is normal especially on a non-broken in motor. When you are driving the 8.1 (04-05) don't drop the throttle like with the monsoon, ease it up. You will find that it has more than enough power to get to speed. The 8.1 litre coupled with the new TBW is a dream to drive. Smooth as silk responce.

• 10 months later...

The 8.1L sure is a powerhouse and it's weight might be a plus for wakeboarders, but the cost of a newer boat, the additional gas the big block uses and higher price for major repairs or replacment of a long stroke engine : I'll always chose a good fuel consuming, low maintenance (cost and ease of repair) small block that is a proven winner overall in any of my boats.

Love mine! It seems to do fine on gas if you drive it easy. It doesn't take much throttle to get on plane when boarding. Run it hard and it will go thru some gas. But, it is nice to have the power and speed when you want it. My previous 2 LSVs had the HH.

Edited by larrys

I wouldn't own a 23 without one. I have run 23's with the hammerhead and the 8.1 and the 8.1 is just a beast. Throw a oj xmp prop on there and it will pull like a horse and also burns less fuel than my vlx with the hammerhead did. With the stock prop it will burn more, but you throw the xmp and it will drop it about 1000 rpm at boarding speeds which saved a ton.

• 2 months later...

I have a 23 LSV with the 8.1 Vortec engine option. It is really nice to have all the torque this engine can produce. It rocks. The other thing we have been very suprised about is the fuel consumption. We expected to go through gas fast. It uses the same or less for a day of skiing / wakeboarding than our 99 sunsetter with a small block did. Only down side is the extra weight in the back. It makes the ski wake pretty bumpy. I would guess the small block maybe a better ski boat.

I have a 23 LSV with the 8.1 Vortec engine option. It makes the ski wake pretty bumpy.

May also be the 23' & 100" beam making the ski wake bumpity ;) - not quite like skiing behind a sporty

• 3 weeks later...

word has it that the ZZ383 (2005+) Hammerhead can out perform the 8.1L even loaded down... now if i were running a lot of weight in the boat i would probaly prefer the 8.1

word has it that the ZZ383 (2005+) Hammerhead can out perform the 8.1L even loaded down... now if i were running a lot of weight in the boat i would probaly prefer the 8.1

Experience has it that the the 8.1L will win. Loaded or not!