Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

automatic bilge pump stopped working

So I was out the other day and happened to pull up the floor access panel to look at the fuel tank and noticed about 6-7 inches of water in bilge. I hit the switch for the pump and it came on. Good. However, after testing a few times I concluded the internal float switch on the auto bilge pump is not functioning. The bilge pump is sealed and I cannot see a float switch. there is a small rotary switch on the side, which does not currently do anything.

Question is - can ths bilge pump be broken open to service the float switch, or should I replace it?

So I was out the other day and happened to pull up the floor access panel to look at the fuel tank and noticed about 6-7 inches of water in bilge. I hit the switch for the pump and it came on. Good. However, after testing a few times I concluded the internal float switch on the auto bilge pump is not functioning. The bilge pump is sealed and I cannot see a float switch. there is a small rotary switch on the side, which does not currently do anything.

Question is - can ths bilge pump be broken open to service the float switch, or should I replace it?

Mine broke, but it was the entire pump frozen and it did not work at all.It kept blowing the fuse. I found one at walmart, it was the same one as the factory one and actually mounted in the factory holder, and it was only $45.00. I tore the old one apart, it turned out to be a blade that was welded to the housing. I had to break the blade apart, and when it was apart from the housing, the motor again ran fine. It seems to me that the repair and the parts needed to fix it would cost more than a new one. This was over 2 years ago and the Walmart unit is still working fine. Is it worth trying to find the parts and repair it?

Question:

at what level should the pump come on? I was cleaning the bilge out the other day (I run in salt all the time) and wanted to test the automatic trip, I got the water up faily high and nothing, i flipped the switch and the bildge worked fine. does the water level have to come up fairly high?

thanks

Question:

at what level should the pump come on? I was cleaning the bilge out the other day (I run in salt all the time) and wanted to test the automatic trip, I got the water up faily high and nothing, i flipped the switch and the bildge worked fine. does the water level have to come up fairly high?

thanks

When it worked - mine would only allow 3inches or so at the pump. Note that on plane the water level was lower, but when sitting still, the water collects at the bilge, so 3 inches really is not that much.

Just replace it. It's not likely the kind of thing you can open it up & fix.

Attwood pump

3305331.jpg

That is the original, s750.

I wondered if some of the ones listed in Overtons as electrical contact activated as opposed to float switch might be better?

Question:

thanks

Probably around 3" at the pump.

Question:

thanks

I just went through the same thing with the Attwood S500 on ours and we had some junk that got into the float area and blocked it from moving all the way up. After everything was cleaned and rewired it works great. The pump wiring might be an issue if it doesn't come on with the float. One power lead is for the float switch and might be damaged. It only takes a couple of inches for the float to kick the power on.