Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo Calibration

Hey all - My two speedos were off from each other by about 3 mph so I borrowed a friends GPS to set them right. Went skiing then at my normal 36 mph and it seemed slow! Engine was turning about 3500rpm's. I have the factory prop...what kind of approx. rpm's are you guys running at 36 mph with your sunsetter's? I have the Monsoon engine. Unfortunately, I don't have a course on my lake so I can time it.

Edited by dtm8119

i don't have the monsoon but, normally 3500rpm is 35mph for me. i did switch to a 515 acme 13x12 prop though. usually every 100rpm above 2500 is another mph for my 99ss lxi.

Edited by sgt1970-442

Can't remember my #s right now. That sounds about right. Keep in mind with the dual venturi pick ups, they won't read the same. Mine are usually about 3 mph different at slalom speeds. And as soon as you calibrate with the left pick up and switch to the right, you just lost your calibration and vice versa. And then your lower speeds will be off also. Best bet is to buy a cheap hand held GPS to keep in the boat. I calibrate every time out, and yes they are usaully off a bit due to???? I guess barometric pressure.

As for props, are you still running the original SS 3 blade? I know they were OEM in 01. If so, might seriously want to consider replacing it as they have had a history of coming apart. Alot of folks like Acme. I went with an OJ XMP 13X11.5. Lost 1 mph top end but gained a ton of smoothness and low end. The best part was the rooster tail at 15 off went bye bye, and the wake softened at slalom speeds. Plus no worries of the SS coming apart.