Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Black rubbing off Swim platform

The non-slip black rubber on the swim platform is rubbing off on our feet and is now getting on the interior of the boat. Is this happening to anyone else? Any fixes to this (other than getting a Teak platform)?

Have the same problem with mine sometimes. Depending on the year of your boat (or where you bought your boat...my uncle and I have the same year boat, two different models, with two different platform pads- bought from different dealers - don't know if this has anything to do with it or not), I think they used a couple different platform pad types. One was a more squishy foam-like pad, and the other was a more firm hard rubber like "pad". I have the more firm, hard rubber type and it does rub off at times, although it hasn't gotten to the point where it's been a major inconvenience. Talked to the dealer about replacing the pad, and they said for them to do it, it would be financially viable for me to just buy a new platform with the other type of pad on it. Or...I could do it myself...which is why it has yet to be replaced.

It happened on my '05. It seems to happen the most when it sits out in the sun and bakes then your feet get wet and track it it. The dealer replaced the hard rubber with a softer more foam like pad under warranty and haven't had an issue since.

Just 303'd mine yesterday, once a year keeps this problem gone for me. (I have the hard black honeycomb rubber variety) Super easy.

I had the issue on mine. I didn't say anything but the dealer actually asked me if I had any problemss and I said I did.

They said it was a known problem s they replaced it under warranty...looks much better too.

The non-slip black rubber on the swim platform is rubbing off on our feet and is now getting on the interior of the boat. Is this happening to anyone else? Any fixes to this (other than getting a Teak platform)?

Ours did this when we first bought it. It was previously used in eastern oregon (more sunny days) and sometimes stored outside. Now that it is in western oregon and stored inside the problem went away completely. The verdict: UV rays, 303 will probably do the trick but might make it slick.

It might be worth it to take it to your dealer...maybe it's a recall or at least a TSB...If you let them know that it has been happening for a few years (ie when it was still under warranty) and Malibu know's it's an issue they'd probably replace it under "goodwill".

[The verdict: UV rays, 303 will probably do the trick but might make it slick.

Yes, don't jump from a dock onto a freshly 303'd platform that has a few water droplets on it unless you want one hell of a trip into the water.

(coming from experience, while fully dressed)