Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

no top end. wont reach rev limiter

I think I have a problem. I am a new bu owner. Its 2007 vlx with a hammerhead. It has 70 hours. I used 2+ tanks of gas for 17 hours of use. Does that seem like alot?? Also it has no top end.--the most speed I can get is 34 mph. 3000rpm==22mph ///3500rpm===27mph ///4800==34mph. It wont go over 4800 rpm.. my dealer told me the rev limiter is set for 5300rpm and should get up 45mph. Its got a 381 prop--13.5--17.5 any ideas??????????

I think I have a problem. I am a new bu owner. Its 2007 vlx with a hammerhead. It has 70 hours. I used 2+ tanks of gas for 17 hours of use. Does that seem like alot?? Also it has no top end.--the most speed I can get is 34 mph. 3000rpm==22mph ///3500rpm===27mph ///4800==34mph. It wont go over 4800 rpm.. my dealer told me the rev limiter is set for 5300rpm and should get up 45mph. Its got a 381 prop--13.5--17.5 any ideas??????????

Are you empty or full of ballast? I would switch props

The rev limiter is there to keep you from underpropping your boat to the point you over rev the engine. It is not necessarily the case that you boat will hit the rev limiter at full throttle...in fact, it should not...mine doesn't.

martinarcher

The rev limiter is there to keep you from underpropping your boat to the point you over rev the engine. It is not necessarily the case that you boat will hit the rev limiter at full throttle...in fact, it should not...mine doesn't.

Agreed. The boat should not hit the rev limiter unless it is way under propped.

How does it pull you out of the water? With a top speed of 34 it should rip you right out of the water. If it struggles to get you up you might have an issue. If you are after more speed I would re-prop the boat, but mine doesn't hit those speeds unless we are footing.

Have you confirmed the speed with GPS? Your top end seems low. The vlx, although it is a wake boat, runs faster than bu DDs.

As for fuel consumption, it depends on what you do on the water. I burn around 4-5 gallons per hour. 50% wakeboarding with wedge and ballast, 30% pulling the kids on the kneeboard and the rest skiing and getting to and from the boat ramp. Based on the 35 gallon fuel tank I have, that gives me 7-8 hours per tank. So if your are burning 100 gallons in 17 hours, that puts you at 5.8 gph. Not all that un resonable for an inbord.

With your prop and engine rpm you should see a higher speed. I would verify the rpm is correct, and perhaps look at the simple things first - bad or fouled plug(s), injector, dead cylinder....

The 13.5x17.5 was popular on Sunscape models for general operation and lower rpm than the wakesetter's using 13.5x16, etc.

Peter