Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing rotted floor panel

The floor panel in the rear of my 97 Sunsetter LX that allows access to the exhaust and rudder is cracked and/or rotted in one corner where the hinges are. What's the best way to go about replacing or fixing this? I assume I'll have to work in some sort of heat shield on the underside. It hasn't gotten terribly bad yet, but if someone jumps on it their foot is gonna go through. I'm just looking for some ideas.

Thanks,

Matt

The floor panel in the rear of my 97 Sunsetter LX that allows access to the exhaust and rudder is cracked and/or rotted in one corner where the hinges are. What's the best way to go about replacing or fixing this? I assume I'll have to work in some sort of heat shield on the underside. It hasn't gotten terribly bad yet, but if someone jumps on it their foot is gonna go through. I'm just looking for some ideas.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

Can you post up some pics? Depending on how its cracked there are several ways I would tackle a project like that...

The panel is made of honeycomb aluminum, so you could buy a new piece or attempt to reinforce the corners with some square tubing or similar.

I don't think you need any type of heat shield back there, the mufflers stay cool as there is plenty of water running through them.

-Chris

It's cracked across a corner. The screws on the hinges are stripped and pulling out too. I haven't really started digging around yet. I didn't know it was made of aluminum. That's good to know. It must be cracked and not rotted. I'll put up some pics if I get time. The only reason I thought about the heat shield is because there is some type of insulation on the underside of the panel now. I assumed that was to keep the heat in.

You might be able to turn the piece around and put the broken corner and stripped screws under the seat rather than their current position. This would at least give you some time to figure out what to do.

It's cracked across a corner. The screws on the hinges are stripped and pulling out too. I haven't really started digging around yet. I didn't know it was made of aluminum. That's good to know. It must be cracked and not rotted. I'll put up some pics if I get time. The only reason I thought about the heat shield is because there is some type of insulation on the underside of the panel now. I assumed that was to keep the heat in.

This is more than likely sound deadening insulation as opposed to heat sheilding.

You could always drill out the holes and epoxy in some nuts to fix the stripped holes. As for the crack depending on how deep it is, I have had good luck grinding out the crack and filling it back in with fiberglass. Is this pannel carpeted? or is it gel?

You might be able to turn the piece around and put the broken corner and stripped screws under the seat rather than their current position. This would at least give you some time to figure out what to do.

That might be an easy fix. I'll check that out. Thanks! :thumbup:

This is more than likely sound deadening insulation as opposed to heat sheilding.

Gotcha!!! :notworthy:

I removed the panel and took some PICTURES. It is only the two corners on the hinge side that are messed up. It is some sort of aluminum honeycomb. All of the other sides and edges are rock solid. I may just turn it around and screw the hinges to the other side like lsccc suggested. Either that or somehow reinforce those two corners.

I'm open to any ideas. Thanks!

Just an update...

I spun the panel around and screwed the hinges to the other side. It doesn't fit as well this way, but it works and it's pretty sturdy. I'll probably just leave it like that until I am forced to do something more involved.