Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Gage (86 Skier)

Hey Crew! I have an 86 Skier and the fuel gage is not working. It hasnt bother me so I havent messed with it, but feel the need to begin figuring it out. I pulled the back seat and started looking around. I noticed a wire that is attached to the spout that is not attached to anything else. I am guessing it needs to be grounded to maybe sending unit. Is there any ideas? I looked on the sending unit and currently there are 3 wires attached to it. 1 in the middle and 2 black wires. I'm guessing there isnt a good ground causing the gage not to work. I do have power to the gage itself but it doesn't do anything outside of lighting.

The best way to know what's up - use a typical multimeter that will test continuity. Make yourself some long leads using simple braided 16 or 18g wire. Check to see if you have continuity from the sending unit to the gauge. If you are not experienced with a multimeter - all you are testing when you test continuity is if there is a break in the wire, and if there is, which one has the break. That's the biggest reason a gauge will fail...the sending unit or the wiring between the gauge and the sending unit.

Super simple. Nothing else to check. If it isn't working - it's the gauge, the sending unit or the wires.