Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Setup for 2001 Wakesetter

StuartM

Just looking for any tips on the best setup for my 2001 Wakesetter, how much weight do I need to get a good wave. I usually ride with six people in the boat, the center middle ballast sack full and one back corner full? Looking forward to any suggestions.

Just looking for any tips on the best setup for my 2001 Wakesetter, how much weight do I need to get a good wave. I usually ride with six people in the boat, the center middle ballast sack full and one back corner full? Looking forward to any suggestions.

Pretty much what i did with my 01.I stuck 2ppl in the bow surf side and the rest surfside back. center mls and surf rear bag full.I had 4or500lb bags in the back .Probably not the biggest wave possible but i like having everything hidden not laying all over the boat. :thumbup: Also no wedge i know the new one is better with the wedge so if youve got one use it. I had a big enough wave to go ropeless no problem.

Edited by apwrx

I have a 2003 23LSV. I have the best surf wave as follows for my boat. I have found this goes against most wisdom on this site, but I am 6'4" and 250lbs and can free ride a 5'5" trick board all day long, so I know it works. I am goofy foot, but I am sure it will set up either side:

All 3 factory ballasts full

Wedge (manual) down

750lb FatSac in rear compartment

400lb FatSac (long/skinny) under the side seat

400lb VDrive Fat sac in the bow

2500-2700RPM with my wife and 2 kids - Kids in the back side and wife driving

I have found that too much weight beyond this is not beneficial and makes the wake less defined.

The more weight in the back corner the steeper it will get. The more weight in front the more push. Should be surfable with your mid and rear surfside mls full and an additional 750 in the surfside corner and everyone sitting surfside.

That's what we've got going on here....

38208_1470935886359_1022463014_2955077_7446696_n.jpg

Edited by shawndoggy
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 2000 Wakesetter VLX (same hull as yours I believe) and am able to produce some really good wakes. I do the following:

• Rear ballast on surf side completely full. I have 750lb BI bags. Switching to these bags probably made the biggest difference.
  • Opposite rear ballast I will put some weight in at times if we are working on crossing the wake or other tricks. All the weight on one side is what you want for learning, but it tends to curl over so much at times getting up and over the wake is really tough.
  • Center ballast (400lb) I adjust based on the number of people in the boat. If its just me and one other person I put very little in it (and can still easily ride). More than 3-4 people I fill the front all the way up.
  • For people in the boat, it again depends how many (and how big they are). If I've got a full boat (10ish) I don't pile them all in the back or even on one side. You'll want to put 1 or 2 in the front as well so your wake doesn't get ridiculously steep and wash out.

Hope that helps.