Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ALARM SENSORS

I have a 2004 23' XTI Direct Drive with a 340 Monsoon EFI engine. My alarm has been constantly beeping after the boat warms up and stays on constantly. The fluid levels are fine. My water temp gauge seems to be working fine as well as my oil pressure and voltage gauge. Can somebody tell me everything that triggers the ECM and could be sending a fault to the alarm. Can anybody give me some advice on how I can troubleshoot these sensors myself without taking it into the shop. The engine has always fired up immediately but I did have one rough start over the weekend where it took 10 seconds of cranking time to get it fired up. When it did fire up I had a minute or so of rough idle. It has new gas and was full.

Can anyone tell me if there is a Direct drive transmission overheating sensor on the tranny? How easy is it flush the tranny cooler? Also, where is the actual horn located. mine has not worked since I got the boat. the fuse is fine, but I cannot locate the physical horn.

Any help would be appreciated.

The 4 things that can trigger the beeper are high engine temperature (>203*), low oil pressure (<6 PSI), high tranny temperature (>?*), or a diagnostics trouble code. The sensors that feed info to your gauges are not the same ones that feed info to your ECM. So one of those (faulty?) sensors could be triggering the beeper. The beeper is controlled by the ECM in responce to info from sensors.

Edited by electricjohn

Thanks Electricjohn. If the fluid level in the direct drive is O.K., what could be some of the causes for tranny high temp. Could it possibly be a bad sensor, or a blockage in the tranny cooler? The tranny operates great no slippage etc.

How can I test the sensors without replacing them?

Would it be worth my while to purchase a code reader?

Am I able to reset my fault codes on my own and if so how?

Thanks for your help

I had the same problem with my 2004 23 LSV HH. The alarm was triggered by high trans temp. A tech with a good eye spotted the problem. The trans cooler had been replaced with an aftermarket unit that was smaller than the original. Installing the correct cooler solved the problem. A partial blockage in the correct cooler would cause the same problem.

If you are able to silence the alarm by letting the boat cool off for a few minutes, I would start with flushing the trans cooler first. If you have access to a trans temp guage, that would be another good place to start.

Thanks Electricjohn. If the fluid level in the direct drive is O.K., what could be some of the causes for tranny high temp. Could it possibly be a bad sensor, or a blockage in the tranny cooler? The tranny operates great no slippage etc.

How can I test the sensors without replacing them?

Would it be worth my while to purchase a code reader?

Am I able to reset my fault codes on my own and if so how?

Thanks for your help

It's likely a faulty sensor, but there is no other sensor for the transmission, so make sure the transmission cooler and lines are not extremely hot.

The oil pressure on an '04 is the older style pressure switch. It is located right above the oil filter, 90 degrees to the engine.

- See http://shop.smoothwatersports.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=127

The transmission temp sender is located under the ecm mount, directly on top of the the transmission, in the valve body. The sender has spade connectors, which you can pull them off to see if the alarm stops.

The water temp senders are on front of the engine, in the intake manifold. The top one (digital) is the gauge sender, and the forward facing one (under hose) is for the ecm and alarm.

- See http://shop.smoothwatersports.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=74

While you're looking, remove the water hose on the bottom of the transmission cooler (between raw water pump and thermostat housing on engine), and make sure no debris/grass/etc slowing down water flow in the bottom of the cooler.

Hope that helps -

Peter

It's likely a faulty sensor, but there is no other sensor for the transmission, so make sure the transmission cooler and lines are not extremely hot.

The oil pressure on an '04 is the older style pressure switch. It is located right above the oil filter, 90 degrees to the engine.

The transmission temp sender is located under the ecm mount, directly on top of the the transmission, in the valve body. The sender has spade connectors, which you can pull them off to see if the alarm stops.

The water temp senders are on front of the engine, in the intake manifold. The top one (digital) is the gauge sender, and the forward facing one (under hose) is for the ecm and alarm.

- See http://shop.smoothwatersports.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=74

While you're looking, remove the water hose on the bottom of the transmission cooler (between raw water pump and thermostat housing on engine), and make sure no debris/grass/etc slowing down water flow in the bottom of the cooler.

Hope that helps -

Peter

Thanks for all your advice. I am going to check my wiring connections to all the sensors and flush the tranny cooler.

Can anybody tell me what the red button to the right of the ECM unit (where the tranny bolts up to the engine)is for. Looks like you can press it in. What does it do?