Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Any downside to 23 and 24s?

I've been checking out some used bu's lately. Have an older sunsetter and would like to move to v drive at least. Putting the differences in hull design and motor aside, any downside to owning a big hull, 23 or 247? I'm assuming mpg is different but does the boating experience change much? I've got three kids and we like to take guests all the time. Any input is very appeciated. Any regrets going to a bigger hull? Sure seems like it's the trend.

It just depends on what you want to pull, if you have somewhere to store it, a little more gas money, etc.

I have a 21.5 LSV and there is comfortable room for 7 - 8 adults. It is easy to tow, and it fits in my garage.

If I had a 23, I would need to find somewhere else to keep it, would be tougher on my truck, etc.

So for me, the 21/5 was right.

If you have a tow vehicle and a place to put it, I doubt that you would regret having the 23.

The 24-7 is a huge boat, long and wide.

My 23 LSV with HH is more fuel efficient than my 06 vlx was with the monsoon. The ONLY downside to having a bigger boat is it takes more room to store it. Other than that it's nothing but perks in my experience. I guess if you're a guy that hates extra room and storage a bigger boat my not work either :unsure: .

I love my 247 and if I were to order a new boat today, it would be another 247. That being said, it is a beast of a boat size-wise. It sits 9-1/2' wide, guide pole to guide pole, on the trailer, and will not clear a 10' door with the tower up. I cannot stand on the ground and look into the boat when it sits on the trailer, and find myself using a ladder to access the swim platform while working on the boat.

All of that goes away when it sits on the water. It handles like a smaller boat, has plenty of room for all your family and friends and never feels cramped.

If you have a good sized tow vehicle, room to store the boat, go for the 23 or the 247.

I love our 23ft boat and would say that it only has a few drawbacks.

1. It weighs more and therefore is harder on some tow vehicles

2. It's bigger and can't fit in some garages (mine)

3. The ski wake is no good

It would be awesome to have two boats. A big wakeboard/surf boat and a tiny closed bow ski boat...and two trucks to tow them with, and two garages to store them in, and millions of dollars in the bank, and, and, and, :blowup:

We just bought our first boat and it was a 247. It is large you do need a ladder when it is on the trailor. You have lots of room. We had 12 people on it and it did not feel crowed. Great for wake boarding, surfing, tubing for the kids have not skied behind it yet will try that this weekend. It is a beast. Gas not bad but just started reaily using it last week because of the break in. I guess what I'm trying to say if you have the truck and can store it some where and you can pick up a good boat get the big beast you will not regret it I love ours.

I've been checking out some used bu's lately. Have an older sunsetter and would like to move to v drive at least. Putting the differences in hull design and motor aside, any downside to owning a big hull, 23 or 247? I'm assuming mpg is different but does the boating experience change much? I've got three kids and we like to take guests all the time. Any input is very appeciated. Any regrets going to a bigger hull? Sure seems like it's the trend.

We went from a 20' Echelon LX direct drive to a 23 Wakesetter XTi this year. I could not be more pleased with the upgrade. Since the XTi's still a direct drive, it handles extremely well. I can literally fit everything in a storage area with room to spare even with two families out for the day. I also have 3 kids and 10 people and gear are easily accomodated without feeling the least bit crowded. Having a tower's a huge plus, especially with the tower bimini, speakers, racks, etc. Features the newer model has have also been nice - the wedge is simple and very effective at creating a great wake for boarding, perfectpass is a thing of beauty, and while my carb motor never gave me problems, EFI is the way to go. I am pretty sure the new boat will out hole-shot the old boat even with an extra 3 ft of length...thanks to the Hammerhead.

The only downside with the boat is the slalom wake isn't great. But my neighbor has a closed bow CC196 so I am covered! :-) Secondly, low speed docking - which sucks in an inboard anyway - is even worse with a bigger boat. It's taken some getting used to, but I am almost used to it.

As far as trailering, the 23 vs 20 is not much different. Just got back from a 400 mile road trip and fuel ecomony for the suburban was about 1 MPG worse than towing the old 20 footer.

-- Mike

Awesome. Price is always a factor of course. I just missed a nice 23 that I didn't jump on soon enough because I only just started thinking of upgrading.

Still hate the thought of spending money since mine is paid for and I put so much time into it... but we've spent a lot of time one the water every summer... the whole family loves it and will hopefully keep going for a long time. Also like the idea of a bigger boat for Lake Tahoe, our favorite place.

I appreciate the feedback. Doesn't sound like any regrets as long as you have the room.

Edited by rugger

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the more people that you have on a boat, the more people there are that want water time & to be perfectly blunt, that cuts into YOUR riding time. Bigger boat = more people. A 247 is called a Lake Limo for a good reason & it's great at that, but the ones that I've been on at times have had so many people on them that there just isn't enough time to get everyone the sets that they may want. If that's what you want & you're happy with that, then that's great. But just consider yourself warned.

i'd love to have a 247, even if i every time i went riding it was just with 2 other people. having really only ridden regularly behind my boat and my friend's ps190, i can't imagine there ever being a downside to more room aboard, even if it seems like overkill.

side note, and not intended to start some mc vs. bu vs. cc debate, but is clearly grounds for such, nor is it really relevant to the thread at hand:

given the seating configurations of the big three, i can't see any valid reason to go with the x-45/55, or the big cc over the 247. malibu stretched the cockpit, where everyone hangs out 90% of the time, where as mc made the bow seating bigger (big whoop. 3 girls can sit up front when underway. cool.) and cc made the seating super-complicated in all of their wake specific boats with movable seating and all that gimmicky nonsense, whereas bu followed the KISS ethos: Keep It Simple, Stupid. if someone wants to watch, unless they're in a HALO or a quadriplegic, they can turn their head. less moving parts=less parts to break.

Edited by madchild
MalibuNation

Do you store your boat on a boatlift ... you'll need a lot bigger and heavier boatlift that you will have to put in the lake even deeper.

i'd love to have a 247, even if i every time i went riding it was just with 2 other people. having really only ridden regularly behind my boat and my friend's ps190, i can't imagine there ever being a downside to more room aboard, even if it seems like overkill.

side note, and not intended to start some mc vs. bu vs. cc debate, but is clearly grounds for such, nor is it really relevant to the thread at hand:

given the seating configurations of the big three, i can't see any valid reason to go with the x-45/55, or the big cc over the 247. malibu stretched the cockpit, where everyone hangs out 90% of the time, where as mc made the bow seating bigger (big whoop. 3 girls can sit up front when underway. cool.) and cc made the seating super-complicated in all of their wake specific boats with movable seating and all that gimmicky nonsense, whereas bu followed the KISS ethos: Keep It Simple, Stupid. if someone wants to watch, unless they're in a HALO or a quadriplegic, they can turn their head. less moving parts=less parts to break.

:lol: I like the way you worded that post but you probably won't get much argument here.

I fell in love with the Malibu on a friends VLX and spent the first 6 months looking at VLX'x but ended up with a 23LSV. Never would have got on one but a bank repo place had a great deal on one. Didnt pull the trigger fast enough on it but after being on it I preferred the 23. Only negative is tougher to tow and needs a bigger storage but the storage place I had any fit mine just fine. With my family of 4 I still like the extra size and when we take another family out I really like the extra size. Aside from that in my opinion I think the wider beam on the 23's makes them take bumps better on the open lake.

I love the 23 and 247. I would consider one day getting a 23. However, since our place is on the water we really don't need to put everyone on the boat the entire time. Most of the time everyone is at the house and if we do load up the boat it isn't a huge deal since 21.5 is still a ton of room and more weight for wakeboarding is always welcomed and the rides are much shorter. Now if we didn't have the place on the lake, then I think I would probably own a 23 or 247. I do not store the boat at my house for the winter and it stays in the water during the season. So we tow minimally anyways.

Now that all being said. If you were considering two boats of different size. All things being equal, I would go with the bigger boat. The last thing I would want is a boat that I find to be too small to fit my needs. Take the family to test drive both, you will know what size to get.

I live on a lake..

Consequently we do not "spend the day" on the water.

If we did I would want a bigger boat.

I have spent time on friends LSV and a 247.

Great boats with plenty of room. The 247 is almost

Limo-like :)

For us our 20 ft. VTX is surprisingly roomy and is a great crossover boat.

Scott

Edited by steemin

I'll chime in w/ my 2 cents... As mentioned above, it depends what you use your boat for. If you're just looking to cruise and tie up w/ friends, then with appropriate storage/vehicle, go big! I have a 2008 vRide and I love my wake! My boss just bought a 23LSV and he told me in our sales meeting, "I have wake envy..." The hull is so big and wide on the 23/247's that you need a lot of weight in the boat; especially for surfing. Ballast, Wedge and a 350 lb fat sack makes my surf wake great (even with 2 or 3 people). I think my "capacity" is 11. I commonly have close to that but have cruised with 15. My theory = more people = more gas money = more beer. Good luck with your decision! You can't go wrong either way.

My 23 was an impulse buy, but I'm very happy with it. Having said that, we surf most of the time, so I'm going to have to drop more money to get a good surf wake without manually filling ballast. I would do it over again, but it helps to know going in exactly what you are going to get.

My 23 is 1000 pounds heavier than my last 21 and obviously longer, but it actually trailers better. It sits further forward on the trailer, which reduces the distance between SUV and trailer, lowering drag. I don't have enough numbers yet, but I think it will actually be very slightly better on gas mileage. Then again, my last boat wasn't a bu, so all of them may be the same.

It definitely sits up higher, though, so I have to drop the tower to get it in storage, which I didn't have to do before. The G3 is pretty easy to drop, so I don't mind. It is under 10', though so it fits under my overhang on the driveway.