Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

"Check Engine" Code & Strange Motor Connector

We took our 06 VRide out yesterday and it had a hart time starting up until I found that the lanyard had been pulled. Anyway, after starting right up, it began throwing a computer code "Check engine". It was running fine, all gauges were normal and engine & trans oil levels were OK. I pushed the "E" button on the dash and the code would disappear, but reappear after about 10 minutes. We stayed out a short time before returning home and I looked around the motor for anything obvious. I checked all of the sensor plugs and they were dry, uncorroded and tight. However, I did find a large female plug hanging by the front of the motor near the reset button. It has 6 wires going into it, but it's not connected to anything nor can I find where it should go. Could this be a computer diagnostic access point?

post-1873-127863920936_thumb.jpg

Edited by scfdfireman

I can only see the first picture without having an account but the one picture is of the ECM area (actually at the back of the motor, V-drives are backwards) in which there is the diagnostic access which sounds like what you are describing.

-Chris

OOPS, I forgot that it's backwards. The plug is at the back of the motor near the reset switch. It seems strange that Malibu would leave a access plug open like this and unprotected...

It does have a home on the piece of sheetmetal where the relays and ECM live. Little plastic thing that the side of the plug slides into.

It's hanging because some mechanic was too lazy to put it back.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, I saw that little plastic thing on the plate, but couldn't believe that Malibu would leave a live connector in a wet area with no cover or end plug. However, I still can't find the source of "Check Engine" warning. I've checked every plug on the engine and all of them are dry and clean. I guess it's time to go to a dealer (2 hours away) to see what's up.