Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Caps: for shift knob and ski pylon

TrickyNicky

Okay so since I got the boat every once in a while I'll throttle forward and the issota knob would come right off the throttle stick. I figured it used to be glued or something and never worried about it. Now I finally figured out that there is supposed to be a 'cap' above the issota knob screwed into the throttle stick. I'm guessing it would probably say "malibu" or "silver edition" etc.

I also just got a new ski pylon (for the boom) and it did not come with a cap either.

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get these? I checked Bakesonline (where else) but wasn't sure if the 'decal' they had was really what I was looking for. I also don't have a local dealer.

If anyone knows where to get these, please let me know. Also does Bakes ship to Canada?

Edited by TrickyNicky

Can you post a pic?

Not till monday because the boats at the cottage but....LINK....This roughly the shift knob we have (see other pictures for the leather version), I'm missing the chrome cap with the dimples. Basically everything above the leather part of the knob.

I'm starting to think that 'cap' piece isn't supposed to come off and I may need a whole new know ($93, Ranting.gif ) plus the decal ($8). Still don't know about the ski pylon. Same type of piece though. The small silver cap with the dimples at the top of the pylon. And I just got the new pylon so I know that cap is supposed to come sperately.

Okay, I found a pic. Look at the top of the throttle knob and there's no finishing piece. Personally I think it actually looks fine but i'ts annoying when you throttle forward and teh entire leather section falls right off the throttle lever. And than your trying to find it rolling on the floor as your driving.

I am missing some cap piece here right?

post-12790-12786036017_thumb.jpg

Okay, I found a pic. Look at the top of the throttle knob and there's no finishing piece. Personally I think it actually looks fine but i'ts annoying when you throttle forward and teh entire leather section falls right off the throttle lever. And than your trying to find it rolling on the floor as your driving.

I am missing some cap piece here right?

Even if you're missing a cap, the knob shouldn't just fall off. Mine is screwed onto the lever. YMMV.

Even if you're missing a cap, the knob shouldn't just fall off. Mine is screwed onto the lever. YMMV.

The small "chrome" cylinder is screwed on and doesn't come off but the knob aroudn it does. I also noticed this weekend there is a screw inside that little cylinder which probably secures the cap on.

You are correct, the top cap is what holds the center section on. Malibu is out of stock and no plans to restock, for as you saw they are quite expensive.

But, as an option, late 2010 model year boats have a black coated aluminum knob, made in house by Malibu. For $28, you could simply install one of these.

Peter

You are correct, the top cap is what holds the center section on. Malibu is out of stock and no plans to restock, for as you saw they are quite expensive.

But, as an option, late 2010 model year boats have a black coated aluminum knob, made in house by Malibu. For $28, you could simply install one of these.

Peter

I'm guessing you could probably get one of these to me? Also do you have a picture?

Drove a 23 that had one of those knobs on it, YUCK :vomit: Does not feel good in the hand at all. I guess you would get used to it in the long run, but sure doesn't feel like a nice leather knob does. I think those caps are just held in place with rubber o-rings you can just replace from any hardware store. A lil grease and a new o-ring should do ya if you still have the caps.

Yes I could. Not a great photo, but here's one.

http://shop.smoothwa...products_id=137

Peter

Thanks for the offer Peter but I'm with Bawshogg. If worse comes to worse there's some Isotta knobs on ebay fromt time to time. Appreciate the effort though.

Bawshogg, I don't have the caps, thats my current problem.

Drove a 23 that had one of those knobs on it, YUCK Vomit.gif Does not feel good in the hand at all. I guess you would get used to it in the long run, but sure doesn't feel like a nice leather knob does. I think those caps are just held in place with rubber o-rings you can just replace from any hardware store. A lil grease and a new o-ring should do ya if you still have the caps.

No, there are no o-rings or grease. Malibu does not have or offer the isotta knob anymore, but there are lots of them available aftermarket without the "Malibu" top decal.

That's why I said, "as an option".

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

No, there are no o-rings or grease. Malibu does not have or offer the isotta knob anymore, but there are lots of them available aftermarket without the "Malibu" top decal.

That's why I said, "as an option".

Peter

I know for a fact that my pylon on the tower has an o-ring that keeps it on because I have to take it off to put in my garage, wasn't sure about the shift knob though, neve actually taken it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the shift knob from the dealer I bought the boat from.

Note to used boat buyers: always keep some collateral, Like Bears tickets. Keeps the dealer willing to make you happy after you've taken possession of the boat.