Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Phase5 Oogle Review...

RiverRunner

Back in September I asked for suggestions on a new WakeSurf Board Link, a few weeks back I bought a The Phase5 Oogle:

Dimensions: 58" x 20 3/4" x 3/4"

Core: Divinycell Core

Glass: E-Glass/3-D Weave

Rider Size: under 250 pounds

First I was not real thrilled about spending so much money on a new board. I already had a 5'6" Landlock which I liked but, it was a more of a cruiser. I am a big guy and most of the other shorter boards I had ridden were not fast enough, making it difficult to stay on the wake. For me the Phase5 Oogle is very quick, turns on a rail and will break loose when you want it to. It came with a 2" fin but, I am going to switch it to a 1.25 to help it break loose easier. I was also very surprised at how hard it is to submarine the nose of the board. I called Phase5 with some questions and decided to order the board directly from them since they would put a custom graphics job on the board for me. When I received the board I could not believe the way it turned out and once I had a chance to ride it at the Texas Mini WOW I could not of been happier. Several of the Texas crew also had a chance to ride it and I am sure they will add their 2 cents on it.

nice cover. What size are you? how much more was the graphic?

Thanks the CFO did a great job on the cover. I am a little over 6' at 240. They did not charge me any extra for the custom graphics.

I need to find a surfer that floats me better than my HL and LF boards. I weigh 245 and need more weight in the boat to let the line go.

Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the post.

Then I'll have a board or 2 for sale!

Do you think that board would work for a 200 lb guy behind a weighted & wedged SLxi? I am at 180 lbs, but my BIL is at 200 and would like a board that could work for him too. If not, what board would you suggest for my purposes. We have never surfed but would like to give it a try.

Great board, extremly forgiving and will work for a wide range of rider weights. I think most everyone at the Mini WOW rode it and noone was too small or too big for it. When I rode it the first thing I did was a 180 and had a little trouble with the foot pads. I would like to see them a little more situated for riding the board turned 180. This would not be a problem for Phase 5 to do. It still rode good that way but I was on the edge of the pad. The board slashes great and holds well. With that big rounded nose it was hard to put the nose under and wash out the board. The custom Malibu graphics was just icing on the cake.

Great board, extremly forgiving and will work for a wide range of rider weights. I think most everyone at the Mini WOW rode it and noone was too small or too big for it. When I rode it the first thing I did was a 180 and had a little trouble with the foot pads. I would like to see them a little more situated for riding the board turned 180. This would not be a problem for Phase 5 to do. It still rode good that way but I was on the edge of the pad. The board slashes great and holds well. With that big rounded nose it was hard to put the nose under and wash out the board. The custom Malibu graphics was just icing on the cake.

nothing a lil surf wax wont cure :) ...i had to wax up my phase 5 icon because i tend to be everywhere on the board and busted my pipe a few times cause it was so freakin slick

tj-

nothing a lil surf wax wont cure :) ...i had to wax up my phase 5 icon because i tend to be everywhere on the board and busted my pipe a few times cause it was so freakin slick

tj-

Don't get me wrong...I loved the board and would buy one in a heart beat if I was looking.

Here's a video of RiverRunner's first ride on the Phase 5 at the secret spot. I can't remember who's boat he was behind. Whistling.gif

How much was it?  I keep hearing these things are great but pricey. 

How pricey?

Anyone know of a good place to buy them?

I paid right at $350 including shipping, I was a little skeptical at first but, once I received and rode the board I felt it was money well spent. I grew up surfing and know what it takes to make a hand made surf board and $350 is pretty cheap compared to a new surfboard, also the Oogle is about 4 lbs. lighter than my 5’6” Landlock.

love the oogle, wish I had known about the custom graphics they look awesome.

I have an oogle with a 1" fin, it is the only way to go.

I just bought a prop thinking it will make doing 360 spins quicker, I can't quite catch the wake after doing the spin on the oogle. Haven't tried it yet. There is ice on the pool in the mornings here.

Back in September I asked for suggestions on a new WakeSurf Board Link, a few weeks back I bought a The Phase5 Oogle:

Dimensions: 58" x 20 3/4" x 3/4"

Core: Divinycell Core

Glass: E-Glass/3-D Weave

Rider Size: under 250 pounds

First I was not real thrilled about spending so much money on a new board. I already had a 5'6" Landlock which I liked but, it was a more of a cruiser. I am a big guy and most of the other shorter boards I had ridden were not fast enough, making it difficult to stay on the wake. For me the Phase5 Oogle is very quick, turns on a rail and will break loose when you want it to. It came with a 2" fin but, I am going to switch it to a 1.25 to help it break loose easier. I was also very surprised at how hard it is to submarine the nose of the board. I called Phase5 with some questions and decided to order the board directly from them since they would put a custom graphics job on the board for me. When I received the board I could not believe the way it turned out and once I had a chance to ride it at the Texas Mini WOW I could not of been happier. Several of the Texas crew also had a chance to ride it and I am sure they will add their 2 cents on it.

Very nice board. Love the custom graphics.

I have been trying to find a phone number for them. Any chance you have a number and contact person. It would be much appreciated.

I need to find a surfer that floats me better than my HL and LF boards. I weigh 245 and need more weight in the boat to let the line go.

Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the post.

Then I'll have a board or 2 for sale!

Greg,

This weekend we replaced the big fins on my friends Landlock with the 2" fins off of a Broadcast...my friend weighs about 245 and has had a lot of trouble keeping it afloat, but with the 2" fins it made a world of difference...much faster and a lot more fun. His skill level bumped up several levels instantly. He really likes the Broadcast now. The 2" fins are available on the Hyperlite site but Rich may just cut down the shark fins that came on it.

• 1 month later...
Do you think that board would work for a 200 lb guy behind a weighted & wedged SLxi? I am at 180 lbs, but my BIL is at 200 and would like a board that could work for him too. If not, what board would you suggest for my purposes. We have never surfed but would like to give it a try.

I ditto this question. Hate to spend lots of $$ on a board that won't work with our wake. The CWB ride and LF board have both been recomended for smaller wakes.

Edited by Lakenut

I ditto this question. Hate to spend lots of $$ on a board that won't work with our wake. The CWB ride and LF board have both been recomended for smaller wakes.

If you are talking about the Oogle, it will definitely hold a 200 lb guy. One of the guys that rode with us all summer is at least 225lbs. the description on Wakeside shows the Oogle good for up to 280 lbs.

http://www.wakeworld.com/surf/getboard5.asp?ProductID=2266