Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter w/o Wedge Wakesurfing

Umatilla Matt

I think ours has a different hull than the earlier sunsetters, but when I am out surfing I have two ronix telescope 800s one in back locker and one laying next to the engine and then however many people either on the back bench observer seat or left side of the bow. Like you're all saying no matter what kind of ballast voodoo you use theres no way to make the wave steep and clean. Which in turn, makes it very difficult for large surfers (my dad) to catch much push from the wave. The only way I've discovered to steepen it is to slow the speed down below 10. I am only like 170 and on a skimboard so I do just fine with a long shallow wave, but its gonna be hard no matter what on these boats for the big guys.

• 4 years later...

Any update on success surfing with the 97 Sunsetter? I just bought a 99 and while I hadn’t planned on surfing with it I would go for the bags if it actually works decently. I just don’t want to waste a bunch of time and money trying to turn this boat into something that is simply isn’t. I am an experienced surfer and I weigh 205 lbs but I already own tons of short  boards with good volume.