Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 LSV in Reverse, big boom noise and overheat

2003 Monsoon 335 23 LSV we just got this boat with about 100 hours on it. We've run it about 20 hours and it was fine. Today, it's 97 degrees out and ran it about 15 minutes, pulled 2 people on a tube, came back to the dock to grab some skiis and...... we were backing up from the dock and heard a kaboom noise and about 2 minutes later the engine overheated (the beeping gage went off) and the oil pressure was initially around 40, went up real quick, then dropped back to 40 (though it all happened pretty quickly).

Prop: I figure we'll check the prop to see if something's wrong there tomorrow in the daylight.

Oil: Checked the oil, level is fine, a little viscous, but it was hot.

hoses: Checked the compartments, didn't see any hoses disconnected.

Compartment: Nothing looks out of the ordinary versus, say a car engine.

Any ideas what it might be? This is our first boat ever, so I'm hoping someone can recommend next steps or things to check. And can someone recommend what our action plan would be should this happen further out from the dock.

Edited by laxjim

2003 Monsoon 335 23 LSV we just got this boat with about 100 hours on it. We've run it about 20 hours and it was fine. Today, it's 97 degrees out and ran it about 15 minutes, pulled 2 people on a tube, came back to the dock to grab some skiis and...... we were backing up from the dock and heard a kaboom noise and about 2 minutes later the engine overheated (the beeping gage went off) and the oil pressure was initially around 40, went up real quick, then dropped back to 40 (though it all happened pretty quickly).

Prop: I figure we'll check the prop to see if something's wrong there tomorrow in the daylight.

Oil: Checked the oil, level is fine, a little viscous, but it was hot.

hoses: Checked the compartments, didn't see any hoses disconnected.

Compartment: Nothing looks out of the ordinary versus, say a car engine.

Any ideas what it might be? This is our first boat ever, so I'm hoping someone can recommend next steps or things to check. And can someone recommend what our action plan would be should this happen further out from the dock.

not sure what the kaboom was but i would check that impeller.

perhaps when it went it was noisy.

if the impeller is toast make sure you check the trans. cooler to make sure it has not trapped the leftovers from the impeller.

Thanks for the quick response! Do you know if I can see the impeller when I go under the boat? Or from the top while the boat is in the water? Should I bother trying to run the engine at all? I don't have my shorestation in yet, so I'm stuck with looking at it as long as I can hold my breath.

I'll check the prop first to see if there's a load of seaweed or something jammed in there.

Edited by laxjim

Thanks for the quick response! Do you know if I can see the impeller when I go under the boat? Or from the top while the boat is in the water? Should I bother trying to run the engine at all? I don't have my shorestation in yet, so I'm stuck with looking at it as long as I can hold my breath.

I'll check the prop first to see if there's a load of seaweed or something jammed in there.

i'm guessing here; my wag is that there are a couple of issues.

kaboom issue. yes, take a look at the drive shaft, prop, etc. under the rig. make sure all is clear and that the prop can swing with clearance. while you are under the hull look to insure that the raw water pickup strainer is clear of debris/ seaweed (relates to overheating issue).

overheating issue. start with the impeller. i have a direct drive so i can't help much with the v drive. the raw water pump/impeller on my dd is physically mounted to the front (accessory drive belt end) of the engine. if i understand all that i know about your v-drive the engine is sitting backwards in your rig. the 'front' of the engine is at the back of the boat. i strongly suspect that your raw water pump is located at the end of your engine that does NOT have a transmission mounted to it. inside of the raw water pump is a rubber impeller. if the vanes of the impeller have sheared off then it's not able to pump cooling water to the engine. if the impeller has been trashed you will need to remove the hose that routes water from the raw water pump to the transmission cooler to insure that the trash from the impeller is not blocking the trans. cooler.

fwiw: the belt driven raw water pump is self priming. the belt driven automotive style water pump on the engine is not self priming so the raw water pump is used to force water from the pond into the automotive style water pump.

if you have a clear pick-up screen (bottom of hull), a healthy impeller and nothing blocking the transmission cooler my next step would be to button it all up then remove the hose at the trans. cooler and point it into the bilge. drop the boat in the pond and run the engine for 5 seconds (be careful of rotating stuff n things (a professional term)). you should have lots of water coming from that loose hose.

Thanks - I will try to fix on my own with your tips. We're on Walled Lake and it's pretty weedy /mucky in some spots, including right off our dock. I don't have a trailer either (why do I need one, right? Like what can go wrong with a boat??!!! :whistle: ) so I'm left to holding my breath for a couple minutes at a time with goggles on to see what's going on under there.

Is this engine (top side) repair something I can do while the boat is in the water?

Ugh and this weekend looks PERFECT for skiing. :cry:

Thanks - I will try to fix on my own with your tips. We're on Walled Lake and it's pretty weedy /mucky in some spots, including right off our dock. I don't have a trailer either (why do I need one, right? Like what can go wrong with a boat??!!! :whistle: ) so I'm left to holding my breath for a couple minutes at a time with goggles on to see what's going on under there.

Is this engine (top side) repair something I can do while the boat is in the water?

Ugh and this weekend looks PERFECT for skiing. :cry:

No offense but based on some of your responses I would suggest reading alot on here before taking anything apart. The very first thing you'll want to do before pulling any hoses while on the water is close your inlet ball valve.

No offense but based on some of your responses I would suggest reading alot on here before taking anything apart. The very first thing you'll want to do before pulling any hoses while on the water is close your inlet ball valve.

Yeah, for sure I'm cautious. I worked on car engines before, so I'm not afraid to take stuff apart on the engine. OTOH, I also know when I've reached my capability to repair on my own.

overheating issue. start with the impeller. i have a direct drive so i can't help much with the v drive. the raw water pump/impeller on my dd is physically mounted to the front (accessory drive belt end) of the engine. if i understand all that i know about your v-drive the engine is sitting backwards in your rig. the 'front' of the engine is at the back of the boat. i strongly suspect that your raw water pump is located at the end of your engine that does NOT have a transmission mounted to it. inside of the raw water pump is a rubber impeller. if the vanes of the impeller have sheared off then it's not able to pump cooling water to the engine. if the impeller has been trashed you will need to remove the hose that routes water from the raw water pump to the transmission cooler to insure that the trash from the impeller is not blocking the trans. cooler.

On his vdrive, he won't be able to see it, as the big Silent Rider crosses the engine compartment at the rear & sits right over the top of the impeller housing. You have to be a contortionist to get to it, & if you don't know where it is or what it looks like it will be a challenge for sure. If someone has a picture that they could post up of what it looks like (even if it's on a direct drive), that would be very helpful for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: It turns out it was the trans cooler, not the impeller. Thanks all for the help!

I've never heard of one of those going bad, other than temporarily getting clogged. What happened to it? Plugged with weeds or something?