Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Slipping/Low Fluid Problem

I've had my 1997 Sunsetter LX (Direct Drive) for about 3 months and put about 20 hours on it. I am almost positive I checked the transmission fluid and engine oil the first time out. Went out today and the transmission slipped when pulling up a wakeboarder. :cry: I immediately checked the transmission fluid and it was so low (or empty) that the dipstick came out clean. So I drove to the auto parts store and got some ATF fluid and put about a quart in. Took the boat down the lake and back and checked the fluid again. This time there was a little fluid on the end of the dipstick, not enough. Added about another quart, went down the lake and back, checked again and fluid was up to where it's supposed to be on the dipstick. Went back to wakeboarding and no more slipping for the rest of the day. I checked the fluid throughout the day and it stayed at the correct level.

My questions are:

Is it likely the transmission was damaged by running it with such low fluid?

Should I have someone check out the transmission and make sure it's ok?

Am I correct in assuming the slippage was caused by the low fluid?

The transmission fluid is supposed to be checked immediately after running the boat, correct? Does a run down the lake and back count as running the boat?

:unsure:

I am definitely gonna keep a close eye on the transmission fluid from now on. I'm just wanna get some input from someone more mechanically savvy than me. Like I said, I thought I checked the fluid right after I bought the boat, but maybe I didn't. :crazy: If it was full when I purchased it than that would mean it's leaking or something. It I didn't check and it's been low all this time, I'm wondering how much damage could have been done.

Thanks in advance!!

-Matt

Matt, to get the most accurate tranny fluid level, have two people available. One person turn off the ignition and the other person immediately check the level. If you wait more than a few seconds the fluid drains from the cooler lines and the reading won't be accurate.

Matt, to get the most accurate tranny fluid level, have two people available. One person turn off the ignition and the other person immediately check the level. If you wait more than a few seconds the fluid drains from the cooler lines and the reading won't be accurate.

Wow! I had no idea it worked like that. So the engine only has to have been running to get a good reading, I don't need to have had the boat in gear at all?

So should I get my transmission checked out or just continue to monitor the fluid? It seems to be running fine now, but I don't want a small problem to turn into something big.

So should I get my transmission checked out or just continue to monitor the fluid? It seems to be running fine now, but I don't want a small problem to turn into something big.

i have just about zero experience w transmission but there isn't much that anyone can do to 'check it out' without splitting the case.

splitting the case is going to be pricey; most of the cost of a rebuild will be pulling the trans and pulling it apart.

i can't see where you have anything to loose by running it and keeping a close eye on the fluid level and an ear tuned to any nasty noise.

use your head; i don't think i would attempt an ocean crossing until i had some hours on it.

i have just about zero experience w transmission but there isn't much that anyone can do to 'check it out' without splitting the case.

splitting the case is going to be pricey; most of the cost of a rebuild will be pulling the trans and pulling it apart.

i can't see where you have anything to loose by running it and keeping a close eye on the fluid level and an ear tuned to any nasty noise.

use your head; i don't think i would attempt an ocean crossing until i had some hours on it.

I think that's what I'm gonna do since it seems to be running fine now without any noises or issues. I just wonder how long the fluid was low. :whistle:

Any transmission people out there???

• 1 month later...

as long as it was getting some lubrication I wouldn't imagine damaging it. I have had my PCM 1:1 tranny apart. The slipping is because it is used as hydraulic fluid as well as lubrication to engage the clutch cylinder. Has there been oil in the bilge? Is the oil cloudy? Cloudy and it's the oil cooler leaking it out into the cooling water. oil in the bilge and it is likely the seal around the output shaft or the main gasket. Another thing to check is your engine alignment. The shaft and tranny output coupling must mate to a .003 tolerance. That is 3 thousandths of an inch. Off by more than that and it can crack the clutch cylinder and ruin the output seal. That will definitely cause slipping. These are just things to check.