Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Props and their performance

Lovetoski

How do props affect the performance on a boat?

For instance I have a 20 foot vls with a 13.5 x 16 4 blade...1 1/8 dia

can I use this

14x18.5 1 1/8

how do you know which props will work and what the difference is?

Also, anyone know a good, cheap source for prop pullers?

Thanks!

How do props affect the performance on a boat?

For instance I have a 20 foot vls with a 13.5 x 16 4 blade...1 1/8 dia

can I use this

14x18.5 1 1/8

how do you know which props will work and what the difference is?

Also, anyone know a good, cheap source for prop pullers?

Thanks!

What you pick in 0-60 you lose in top end. Or, what you pick up in top end, you lose in 0-60. I'm being figurative but that's the best way I can describe it. \

You mean a VLX? or VTX (which is 20 foot)?

Could you use that prop, I suppose, but what you "can" run and what you "should" run are 2 different things. I don't know whether the 14x18.5 would be good for you or not but you would certainly give up some power out of the hole, and it would be a lot harder on your engine. The first number is the diameter, the second is the pitch.

I've never seen the price of a puller vary by more than $10 or so bucks so, no.

Oooohhh Thanks, I don't want my engine running any harder....it already sucks gas like ...I don't know what....Sorry typo it is A LSV (not a wakeboard boat). So I guess it is the pitch that makes it hard out of the hole right? What does the diameter do? or do they just work in combination with each other?

Do a search under propeller first. There has been lots of discussion on this board about that. The 18.5" pitch is just too high for that boat. It is like being in overdrive with that prop. Way too sluggish.

In general when you lower the pitch the diameter goes up a small amount like an 1/8" or 3/16".

There are lots of threads. Put me in the camp that says lower pitch prop is better on these ski boats all the time.

Hole shot is paramount when towing. Nobody around here asks about raising the pitch.

The higher pitch would be like a higher gear. It will lower your rpms at all speeds. Increasing the diameter will also decrease rpms. As others have said, our boats are designed/propped to pull watersports...not go fast.

If you are interested in gaining better performance out of your boat, check with the guys at Acme or OJ. Tell them your boat set up and what your looking for. They will be able to tell you exactly what to buy.

Also keep in mind, the guys at the factory put the best prop on your bu for watersports. They have built thousands of boats and probably have tried even more props. Very vew times can you improve on that.