Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Filter Location

Please help, I am trying to locate both my inline and spin on canister water separator fuel filters on my 2001 Response. I've read a bunch of stuff searching this forum and you'd think they would be easy to find but I'll be damned. I have located the fuel shut off valve inside the back trunk. It's dead center in the back and accessed through a cut out in the back panel that has a vinyl covered opening. I looked/felt around and did not see a small inline filter and it seems the lines (2 supply/return) run through the compartment that accesses my drive shaft. From there they go into the engine compartment and straight up into the Delco electric fuel pump. On the otherside of the pump is the fuel rail that supplies the multiport fuel injection and my center mounted throttle body.

Am I missing something? Could the fuel filters be hidden behind the rear or floor panels of my ski trunk? Thanks in advance for any and all insight. Cheers!

Image058.jpg

Sorry,

Can't help you with the location of the low pressure filter because my engine is in backwards.

There's lots of threads on here about it though, search.

Image058.jpg

Sorry,

Can't help you with the location of the low pressure filter because my engine is in backwards.

There's lots of threads on here about it though, search.

Thanks a bunch! I'll look tonight. Now I'm wondering if this filter is changed as often as the canister style water separation filters? I'm guessing not as it requires relieving the pressure in the system first...

Excellent timing.... I just replaced the both the inline and high pressure fuel filters on my '01 Response.

My fuel pump was whining and my neighbors who both have Responses ('01 and '02) told my wife theirs did the same thing, they replaced the fuel filter and the issue was resolved. At the time I only knew of the high pressure one. Replaced it and the fuel pump still whined. Figured it was the fuel pump going bad so I replaced it. Nope, still whining.

It was then my wife says the neighbor told her it was the REAR fuel filter. Ended up tearing out the trunk and found an inline fuel filter canister that was clogged and starving the fuel pump. It had never been replaced.

You need to remove the rear panel (the one with the holes/compartments to hold things and the fuel shutoff valve) to get to it. PITA to get to it. At least mine was. Must have been 18 screws holding the damm thing in. They design a hole in the panel to the shutoff valve but not one to the filter, what a half-assed design. I ended up relocating the filter so it's accessible from one of the compartment holes so I don't have to go through this next time.

Replaced the filter and no more fuel pump whining.

So...

New High Pressure Fuel Filter: $30

New Fuel Pump: $300

New Inline Filter (that was really all I needed): $3

Hearing my wife say 'I told you so....' well, you get the picture... :cry:

But at least I have the piece of mind knowing that my fuel pump will be good for another 10 years! :thumbup:

Thanks a bunch! I'll look tonight. Now I'm wondering if this filter is changed as often as the canister style water separation filters? I'm guessing not as it requires relieving the pressure in the system first...

You're welcome.

You can relieve fuel pressure at this schrader valve.

Image005-1.jpg

Edited by Pistol Pete

Excellent timing.... I just replaced the both the inline and high pressure fuel filters on my '01 Response.

My fuel pump was whining and my neighbors who both have Responses ('01 and '02) told my wife theirs did the same thing, they replaced the fuel filter and the issue was resolved. At the time I only knew of the high pressure one. Replaced it and the fuel pump still whined. Figured it was the fuel pump going bad so I replaced it. Nope, still whining.

It was then my wife says the neighbor told her it was the REAR fuel filter. Ended up tearing out the trunk and found an inline fuel filter canister that was clogged and starving the fuel pump. It had never been replaced.

You need to remove the rear panel (the one with the holes/compartments to hold things and the fuel shutoff valve) to get to it. PITA to get to it. At least mine was. Must have been 18 screws holding the damm thing in. They design a hole in the panel to the shutoff valve but not one to the filter, what a half-assed design. I ended up relocating the filter so it's accessible from one of the compartment holes so I don't have to go through this next time.

Replaced the filter and no more fuel pump whining.

So...

New High Pressure Fuel Filter: $30

New Fuel Pump: $300

New Inline Filter (that was really all I needed): $3

Hearing my wife say 'I told you so....' well, you get the picture... :cry:

But at least I have the piece of mind knowing that my fuel pump will be good for another 10 years! :thumbup:

NOT! One bad tank of fuel can clog your fuel filter.

NOT! One bad tank of fuel can clog your fuel filter.

Fuel filter yes, but the pump should last at least 10 years.

Thanks to all 3 of you and the rest of the crew that offer to help us new guys! If you only knew how many hours I spent cruising this site late last summer when I finally decided it was time to buy a real boat (previous was a little Doral Splash Jet boat) and start my kids off skiing and also see if I could get my wife to atleast drive for me. Well, it was much in part to this website that I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Response. I'm an ok mechanic and do it yourselfer at heart but you guys take that to a whole new level. Even though this is my first inboard, I have been able to do so many maintenance projects from: buffing, waxing, detailing the upholstory, replacing the bunk carpet on the trailer, winterizing, oil changes, repacking my stuffing box, lubing the steering cable and soon replacing the fuel filters all thanks to you guys and this site.

I look forward to getting rid of the "whine" as that is my impotus for the filter change as well. I figured it might be behind the rear panel but also thought that wasn't very user friendly. At least, now when I'm pulling all those screws I'll know it will be worth it in the end.

I am still confused by Pistol Pete's photo. I have the same fuel line coming off the top of my pump but rather than bending back down and going through a high pressure filter it just goes straight up to the fuel injectors atop the throttle body. I guess I'll start with the $3 filter and keep looking for the high pressure one tomorrow.

By any chance do you guys know if this little Delco electric fuel pump has a screen at the bottom where the fuel supply line enters? If so, I'll probably remove that line, check for debris and clean with carb cleaner as well. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your knowledge and hopefully I can "pay it forward" -Chuck

I am still confused by Pistol Pete's photo. I have the same fuel line coming off the top of my pump but rather than bending back down and going through a high pressure filter it just goes straight up to the fuel injectors atop the throttle body. I guess I'll start with the $3 filter and keep looking for the high pressure one tomorrow.

If you have an "oil filter looking" fuel water separator fuel filter, you may not have the pictured filter.

By any chance do you guys know if this little Delco electric fuel pump has a screen at the bottom where the fuel supply line enters? If so, I'll probably remove that line, check for debris and clean with carb cleaner as well. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your knowledge and hopefully I can "pay it forward" -Chuck

There is a screen at the inlet to the fuel pump. Definitely clean it while you're at all this.

Welcome to the site and 'Bu ownership. I am more than happy to give out free advice and I especially appreciate it when someone thanks me for my information. :werule:

Edited by Pistol Pete

Will do on the pump's pre-screen. As for Oil filter style water separation filter I'm still thinking no way unless I am blind. I'll check again tomorrow while changing the low pressure filter.

Your photo is so close to my actual setup minus the hp filter and steel line going to the multiport fuel injection housing. Mine just has the rubber fuel line leaving the pump and attaching at same point as yours. Strange....

I'll post when I finally figure it out. Thanks!

You must have a late 01 model run boat, they got rid of the high pressure filter starting in 02 - so it is entirely possible you do not have the high pressure filter.

You will have only a low pressure inline filter on your boat, located behind the carpeted panel in the trunk, screws are buried in the carpet along the top and bottom every 6 inches or so. Filter is inline and silver in color, hard to miss once you get the panel off. Should be to the port side of the tank (but still close to the middle). I would plan on relocating the filter near the mufflers under the rear floor access or putting in finish washers when you reinstall the panel to get access later.

You do not have a spin on water separating fuel filter and one is not recommended for your boat.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, makes perfect sense! It's low 90's here in Vermont so tonight we'll be on the water but rest assured next rainy day I'll be relocating and replacing that filter. Hopefully that and cleaning the screen leading into the fuel pump will lessen the "whine" but regardless the boat is running great. Enjoy your summer! -C

You must have a late 01 model run boat, they got rid of the high pressure filter starting in 02 - so it is entirely possible you do not have the high pressure filter.

You will have only a low pressure inline filter on your boat, located behind the carpeted panel in the trunk, screws are buried in the carpet along the top and bottom every 6 inches or so. Filter is inline and silver in color, hard to miss once you get the panel off. Should be to the port side of the tank (but still close to the middle). I would plan on relocating the filter near the mufflers under the rear floor access or putting in finish washers when you reinstall the panel to get access later.

You do not have a spin on water separating fuel filter and one is not recommended for your boat.

-Chris

OK, last post from me on this I promise. I went home at lunch, pulled the trunk panel and low and behold there was my Wix 33033 inline filter and right next to it was the Water separation screw on filter. So I guess mystery solved, Malibu must have decided to put both in the rear trunk on the 2001 and do away with the High Pressure up front.

Anyway, both are now replaced along with cleaning out the fuel pump screen (very dirty/clogged by the way) Now I can't wait to get out on the water and see if it made any difference. Thanks again for all the advice.

That is a poor place (as you found out) for a water separating filter. It must have been added by a previous owner, as they are not recommended for our engines, and I don't think Malibu ever installed them as standard.

I would consider removing the water separating filter, or at the very least, relocating it to a more accessible place, so you can keep an eye on it without having to disassemble your trunk.

That is a poor place (as you found out) for a water separating filter. It must have been added by a previous owner, as they are not recommended for our engines, and I don't think Malibu ever installed them as standard.

I would consider removing the water separating filter, or at the very least, relocating it to a more accessible place, so you can keep an eye on it without having to disassemble your trunk.

Ditto, I would loose the water separating filter, they can create air pockets which can lead to a whiny fuel pump.

-Chris

Ditto, I would loose the water separating filter, they can create air pockets which can lead to a whiny fuel pump.

-Chris

OK, guess I'll go out tomorrow and try her out the way she sits to see if the whine went away. After that, I'll bypass the water separating filter and see what that does. Kinda like the idea of having double the protection and the boat seems to run great but if there's potential it could cause other issues it's easy enough to bypass.

How often do folks monitor their separation filter and what do you look for? Mine is not clear so you'd have to screw it off and dump the fuel into a jar to inspect the fuel. Thanks! -C

• 11 years later...

Would someone please post the part numbers for both the high pressure and low pressure filters so I can make sure I am buying the right ones?

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Kcoop007 said:

Would someone please post the part numbers for both the high pressure and low pressure filters so I can make sure I am buying the right ones?

Thank you!

WIX 33481....$9.53 ( high pressure) 

WIX 33033.....$3.66 (low pressure)

I got mine on Rockauto for the prices posted back in March