Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf setup for 2005 23XTI

Malibuzer

I have some friends who picked up an 05 23xti this fall and we are trying to get a surf wake out of it. So far it has been a bit of a struggle. Anyone out there surf this boat? Can you give me some details on ballast setup and speed? It would be much appreciated. :surfing:

I've got an '06. I run the front bow and rear tanks full. I also put a 750 on the walkway floor, 750 on the rear seat/on top of the other 750, and 2 150's in th rear to keep the 2nd 750 in place. I also run the power wedge at the second or third tick. We usually have 4 adults (2 couples), and 3 kids in the boat. With one of the guys riding it is a good wave, with both guys in the boat, the girls have a huge wave with about a 6" curl on top. Extra people go on the passenger's/observer's seat, or up front.

Hope this helps.

I've got an '06. I run the front bow and rear tanks full. I also put a 750 on the walkway floor, 750 on the rear seat/on top of the other 750, and 2 150's in th rear to keep the 2nd 750 in place. I also run the power wedge at the second or third tick. We usually have 4 adults (2 couples), and 3 kids in the boat. With one of the guys riding it is a good wave, with both guys in the boat, the girls have a huge wave with about a 6" curl on top. Extra people go on the passenger's/observer's seat, or up front.

Hope this helps.

That's a start! Thanks

Anyone else? We tried two 750's, one is the side compartment and one about 3/4 full on the back corner seat, surf side rear ballast full, and center tank. The boat did not seem to want to tip over at all. Another 23xti owner told me he does not fill the center ballast at all and it surfs ok with stock weight?

My friends are pretty disappointed that they can't get the surf wake yet. Especially since my VTX is really set up nice for surfing this year.

Edited by Malibuzer

Gas tank at least half full on those big boats! I weight like Sabre except with a 21 xti-wave is huge with or with out wedge, way firmer with it and steeper. My buddies 24 7 l s v takes all his factory weight,wedge,fuel,4 xtra sacs and peeps to have a wave as stiff as ours, Its just taller and a little longer than ours but Those bigger hulls need a lot of weight. Fill every sac on the surf side all the way full and get that pig to lean and it will surf:>)

That's a start! Thanks

Anyone else? We tried two 750's, one is the side compartment and one about 3/4 full on the back corner seat, surf side rear ballast full, and center tank. The boat did not seem to want to tip over at all. Another 23xti owner told me he does not fill the center ballast at all and it surfs ok with stock weight?

My friends are pretty disappointed that they can't get the surf wake yet. Especially since my VTX is really set up nice for surfing this year.

One thing that does really make a difference is the location of the passengers. Try and get as many on the surf side as possible. If you've got all the ballast on 1 side and all the passengers on the other, they will start to cancel each other out.

One thing that does really make a difference is the location of the passengers. Try and get as many on the surf side as possible. If you've got all the ballast on 1 side and all the passengers on the other, they will start to cancel each other out.

I get pretty firm with the passengers where they should be sitting. This weekend we are going to try more weight and people. At least we will know what it will take. :cry:

Definitely put everyone on the surf side until you know better. Also, on most boats it helps to steer very slightly into the wake (if you are surfing normal, steer left, goofy steer right). Play around with the steering and see how that effects the wake and the tilt.

If you are still having trouble, try moving the second 750 further up the bench toward the front, or move all of your people forward.

What speed are you going? Try anywhere between 8.5 and 12.5, by .5 mile steps and see what the wake does.

Getting a boat dialed in does take some patience. It will change based on a lot of things, including just heading into the wind. Depth is also a factor (deeper water produces higher waves).

Hope this helps.

Wow, that's a lot of ballast. I've got an '05 XTi 23' and I've had the same difficulty in getting a good 'ropeless' wave. I've got it once or twice but it was only when I had extra people. I've only got two bags right now. Each are the 400lb fat sacks. I've been putting one on the very back seat and the other on either side along the side of the boat depending on whether the rider is regular or goofy foot. From what I'm hearing, I may not have enough ballast.

Sabre, I'm not completely clear on how you're set up. You have a 750 on the walkway floor but I'm not sure where you place the other bags. Is the second 750 placed on the rear seat that faces to the back of the boat? And how about the 150s? Are they up on the seats as well? I was under the assumption that the weight should be as far back in the boat as possible. It sounds like many of you guys are moving the weight further forward. What's the best setup for positioning everything?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

OK, so 1 of the 750's is on the floor beside the engine and as far back as possible, it fills the walkway all the way back to the seat.

1 of the 150's is on the rear floor where the table would go, on the same side as the walkway.

the other 750 is on the rear seat/side seat/on top of the other 750. so it runs fore and aft in the rear.

finally, the other 150 is on the seat next to the 750 to keep it from rocking too much and shifting.

I fill the rear ballast (surf side) and front ballast.

Then put the adults on the surf side. One on the engine compartment seat the others in the front or observer's seat next to the driver.

In the Picture, the squares are the 150's and the rectangles are the 750's. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wErFOMbE5ZeemEsYj9jRXBZWDPuFSLCETHnutEmrWfI?feat=directlink

Hope this helps.

OK, so 1 of the 750's is on the floor beside the engine and as far back as possible, it fills the walkway all the way back to the seat.

1 of the 150's is on the rear floor where the table would go, on the same side as the walkway.

the other 750 is on the rear seat/side seat/on top of the other 750. so it runs fore and aft in the rear.

finally, the other 150 is on the seat next to the 750 to keep it from rocking too much and shifting.

I fill the rear ballast (surf side) and front ballast.

Then put the adults on the surf side. One on the engine compartment seat the others in the front or observer's seat next to the driver.

In the Picture, the squares are the 150's and the rectangles are the 750's. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wErFOMbE5ZeemEsYj9jRXBZWDPuFSLCETHnutEmrWfI?feat=directlink

Hope this helps.

Thanks Sabre,

Clear as day now. Now I see I've just gotta get some more weight in mine. I've got a couple other questions.

1. What do you do when you get a goofy foot rider on board? Do you just let him surf backside or do you have another bag configuration for putting out a wave on the starboard side?

2. Do you have any tips for avoiding spills when filling and emptying your bags? I've got Fat Sacks and it seems the twist locks inevitably pop off when I'm hooking up the pump or capping a bag off. Always end up with water everywhere.

3. How 'bout your wedge? Mine is a mechanical wedge with no adjustment. It's either up or down.

4. What kind of board to you ride? I'm 200 lbs and the only board I've ever ridden is a 5' fun shape with egg rails. I see some of the boards out there are really thin with really sharp down rails.

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great forum. I'm just now learning my way around it.

Thanks,

Joe

Great advice Sabre. We have to try it this weekend. I have the 750's and should be able to find the smaller bags to stop the big ones from rolling around. :rockon:

Thanks Sabre,

Clear as day now. Now I see I've just gotta get some more weight in mine. I've got a couple other questions.

1. What do you do when you get a goofy foot rider on board? Do you just let him surf backside or do you have another bag configuration for putting out a wave on the starboard side?

Luck that we don't have any goofy riders so I can't help there.

2. Do you have any tips for avoiding spills when filling and emptying your bags? I've got Fat Sacks and it seems the twist locks inevitably pop off when I'm hooking up the pump or capping a bag off. Always end up with water everywhere.

No advice there, we end up getting water all over the interior. I think the new bags have some sort of a valve to keep it from spilling but I've not used them.

3. How 'bout your wedge? Mine is a mechanical wedge with no adjustment. It's either up or down.

I'd try it both ways. You'll be able to go ropeless either way so it's about comfort.

4. What kind of board to you ride? I'm 200 lbs and the only board I've ever ridden is a 5' fun shape with egg rails. I see some of the boards out there are really thin with really sharp down rails.

I'm riding a hyperlite but will be replacing in then next year. I rode a humanoid prototype a few months ago and I be you could ride that behind a response with no ballast, It's super fast and easy to ride I fell in love in 2 minutes.

Thanks again for all your help. This is a great forum. I'm just now learning my way around it.

Thanks,

Joe

• 2 years later...

Malibuzer, Any updates? I've got the same boat tried a 1100lbs bag in the walkway with the surf side back and front stock tanks full. works ok with 5-6 people in the boat but not too consistent.

just picked up two 400lbs sacs to try this weekend.

does board selection make a big difference? we have a inland surfer squirt board is this big enough for this type of boat?

seems to work better for my wife then me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok you guys are over doing it with the weight IMO. More about placement. 04 23 XTI wake hull. Unless your compensating for people. I run two 540's one in the walk way and one on the seat. Also stock hard tank full on surf side. Run half full bow tank. Wedge down. 3-4 people. Duck tape them to the surf side. It drives me nuts when the minute you go to surf people start moving around! I'd say an extra 300-400 would be perfect just to compensate for gas usage and people. 10.7- 11.3 mph. Ropeless no prob.

• 5 years later...

I know, I know, I know..... reviving an old topic. BUT, wondering if anything’s changed in what fellow xti people are doing for surfing. We’ve never surfed but have a friend with a TBI so she can’t wakeboard with us anymore. We tried to get setup last season and never really got it good enough to get off rope for the most part, other than our “small” people on the crew. I’ll try to upload a video or pic of what our “surf” Wake looks like.