Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OUCH....Vinyl Repair/Replacement?

So, this last weekend was a bad one for the Bu. Actually, it was a great one until we went to put the boat in the garage for the weekend. We always leave the rear hatches open in the garage so that the carpeted area on either side of the engine can dry out. Well, I left them open before putting the boat in the garage, and it almost fit... managed to put about a 6inch tear on the edge of the hatch. This isn't a slit, but an actual jagged, chunky tear. I didn't take a picture of it because I was too pissed off and just closed the hatch and left the boat... But the red line in the pic below shows where the tear is. So, my question is, what are my options? It's a 2007 VLX. Can the dealer or an aftermarket shop replace just the white vinyl section? Or do I need to get the whole rear deck re-upholstered? I've dealt with some small repairs before, but this is nothing that can be patched like a small tear from a fin or something.

Thanks for the help folks!

P5080070.jpg

The factory can make a whole new skin for that hatch to factory specs and colors.

Have the local shop put it on and you're good to go.

It may be possible to replace just the white section at a local shop but I doubt they could find the proper vinyl to match.

-Chris

The factory can make a whole new skin for that hatch to factory specs and colors.

Have the local shop put it on and you're good to go.

It may be possible to replace just the white section at a local shop but I doubt they could find the proper vinyl to match.

-Chris

Cool. Sounds expensive, but I'm not going to have a spotless boat with a giant tear in the vinyl. I wonder if the factory could/would replace just the white section if I sent the skin to them this winter.

I don't think the jagged-ness or length matters but seens how it's along the curve or edge then my guess is that it needs a whole new skin. I don't know if many people will bother with just pulling out and replacing the white section.

Edited by Ndawg12

Depends on good of a sweet talker you are and what kind of day they're having. :biggrin: I would call Merced directly. I had the rear seatback quoted to me, based on that I would say you're looking at $100-150 before shipping.

Where can I get the contact number for Merced? I googled it and a California one popped up. Is that the correct number?

I would say $200 to $300 for an individual skin plus installation.

That's what I would have thought too but I bought my rear back rest (largest skin on the boat) for $180, but maybe there's a difference in vinyl quality between a vRide and VLX, so you might be closer.

Malibu Boats West - (209) 383-0499

Edited by Ndawg12

That's what I would have thought too but I bought my rear back rest (largest skin on the boat) for $180, but maybe there's a difference in vinyl quality between a vRide and VLX, so you might be closer.

Malibu Boats West - (209) 383-0499

THANKS!