Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo Done!

eubanks

The CFO and I picked up the boat yesterday after having the stereo installed by Auto Sound here in the DF dub.

We couldn't wait to get it cranked up for the first time...and it sounds awesome!!! We didn't go absolutely crazy and decided to hold off on the tower speakers for now. I wouldn't mind some of those NVS Addictions like Shane has but those will have to wait for now.

Here is the set-up:

Kenwood 5025

6 Alpine's

10" JL W6v2

PPI 1000.4

2 remotes

I will try to get some pictures this weekend as we'll be riding behind it for the first time!!! On a side note, I need to vent for my own good! I didn't expect the boat to be completely clean, but I almost cried when we picked it up. We had just cleaned her from head to toe...especially the vinyl using 3M cleaner and 303 protectant so of course she was spotless. Well, I walk up to the boat and there are black foot prints all over the vinyl, bird crap everywhere, leaves and dirt all over the cushions, and the exterior looked gray from all the sand and dust on our BRAND NEW white boat! Mad.gifCry.gifGuns.gif

We spent most of last night just trying to get the boat looking halfway new which was a failed task. It looks tons better but the vinyl seems to have absorbed some of the dirt and such...it doesn't look nearly as new as it did! We were not happy especially considering we've owned the boat for less than one week!

Ok, I feel better. Is this customary from stereo shops? I don't expect a full detail, but I also didn't expect for them to walk all over the seats with their dirty shoes on and leave bird crap all over the vinyl. One more time: Guns.gifGuns.gifGuns.gifGuns.gif

Let's see some pics and let us know how it sounds out on the water.

That just isn't right to have your boat all dirty by the installers. Do they work on boats often, or usually cars? I suspect that those that work with boats and understand how anal most tourny boat owners are that they take better care to respect the interior.

Was Andy (Chathamsolutions) in the area? I hear that he walks around in boats in shops with his shoes on. Biggrin.gif

Let's see some pics and let us know how it sounds out on the water.

That just isn't right to have your boat all dirty by the installers.  Do they work on boats often, or usually cars?  I suspect that those that work with boats and understand how anal most tourny boat owners are that they take better care to respect the interior. 

Was Andy (Chathamsolutions) in the area?  I hear that he walks around in boats in shops with his shoes on. Biggrin.gif

Actually, I think they mainly work on boats and that is part of what surprised me. I figured they would have left it in decent shape, but I guess not.

What was your experience with them Shane?

I decided to call the guy I've been working with at Auto Sound. He was gone when we picked up the boat so he wasn't aware of the "damage" that had been done to the boat. He told me that their policy was that boats leave cleaner than they arrive at which I laughed since our boat arrived literally in showroom condition and left looking like a 10 year old boat that has been sitting outside coverless.

He said he would "chat" with his boys and address the situation. He has also offered to pick up the cleaning bill for the boat. I don't expect him to do that, but it was a very nice gesture. I just wanted for him to know what's going on and for him to explain the situation.

All in all, I feel better...although our boat is still very dirty even having a 2 hour cleaning session last night!!! Mad.gif

That's a shame about the interior. You wouldn't think you would have to ask them to be careful but apparently you do. I made it very clear when I had my stereo work done what my expectations were as far as them protecting the vinyl and carpet. I let them know that I would be looking very hard at the condition when I got it back. It's too bad it has to come to that but it's what I expect from a professional installation. I hope the system sounds great.

Bummer about the dirty feet. What kind of remotes did you install and where did you mount them? My new Bu' is on the way and am considering some hard wired remotes and am looking for suggestions.

Good for you for following up, and good for them for taking your complaint seriously. Hopefully you have done someone else some good down the road.

Sounds like a nice stereo...

As for the cleaning, that doesn't sound right. My dealer has installers in house and they remove all the seats that come out, then have covers for the cooler lid and other hinged seats and drivers seat. They even had a cover on the steering wheel. Along with that they had a film, that looked like thin shrink wrap with a sticky back on the motor box, all the gunnels where wire would hit and other vinyl that they could hit. It was very nice and made me relieved that they took such procautions with their work.

Here is the set-up:

Kenwood 5025

6 Alpine's

10" JL W6v2

PPI 1000.4

2 remotes

Did you talk to Tim White? He is about to install a similar system in mine. Boat is at WSA. Difference is I will have only 4 of the Alpines, a PPI 600.4, and a JL W3v2. I wonder if I should up the amp to a 1000.4 if I don't ever want tower speakers. With only the 4 Alpines and the sub, Will the 600.4 be enough?

Maybe I should send over some foot protectors.

I would tell them that I like my boats clean and ask them to try to keep it clean. It is not that hard to take your shoes off while doing an install.

eu - > That is totally unacceptable. I don't care who you worked with at the shop, no one there should have ley you leave without making it right. Personally I would file a statement with the BBB in your area. Chances are that if they treated your boat like that, they have done it to others as well.

Thanks guys for the comments. Yeah, I guess I was just stunned when I picked it up that I didn't know what to do. As I said, the guy I had been dealing with wasn't there so I diddn't really know who to talk to. Also, it was a far drive to pick the boat up and I wasn't about to wait on them while I'm there to do a half-arse job of cleaning it.

I don't know. I tend to want to let this kind of thing go because it usually only brings further frustration. On the other hand, our boat required much time and money that shouldn't have so maybe I'll get him to cover the bill for the cleaning...we'll see.

Brazosvet - I think the 600.4 with that system and the JL W3 would be fine. Is that what Tim recommended? And yes, he is the one we worked with. I would let him know that you have heard of boats coming out of his shop extremely dirty and have him take measures to keep your boat clean!

Auto - We were at Lavon all day yesterday. The morning was wonder and smooth, but then all the idiots starting showing up after lunch. We actually had to wait for several minutes at the East Fork ramp because all four lanes were being taken. The wally was a major player. At the same time on the ramp, some guy was trying to trailer his small jet boat. He pulled out of the water, and his boat was hanging half way off the trailer!!! I don't know how his boat didn't fall off...it was really funny. Then the guy next to him was trying to back his i/o in, and there was water spraying 10' feet high behind him! I guess he didn't know you need to drive down your out drive behind backing it off the trailer! ROFL.gif

Ok, back to work. Working on Sunday should be crime...

Sounds like you could have brought luch and a cooler of Beer.gif and watched the "Wally Follies."  ROFL.gif

It's always pretty entertaining just after Memorial Day when everyone with a new boat is fumbling around on the ramps. I think one of the funnier ones I remember seeing was an I/O coming out not only with outdrive still down, but with the prop turning in gear. You could hear this very loud metallic noise and it looked like the 4th of July with all of the sparks flying. After he finally made it out there was just a nub of propeller shaft left and no blades at all.

The launch is always fun to watch... We have had some good times floating in the cove by the launch and watching people launch...

often, at one of the launch ramps at the river, there is a group of people with cards rating people 1-10 launching/trailering. really puts on the pressure. it's actually one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

Edited by madchild
often, at one of the launch ramps at the river, there is a group of people with cards rating people 1-10 launching/trailering.  really puts on the pressure.  it's actually one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

Now that is cruel.

Sounds like a good idea. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 12 years later...
On 4/18/2005 at 9:53 AM, obski said:

Now that is cruel.

Sounds like a good idea. :lol:

Only problem with this is, my wife who is a pro on the ramp wouldn't like the pressure and would freak out if she realized that was going on. 

Edit: not sure what happened to make this 2005 post go to the top.  Oops 

Edited by Gavin17
  • Like 1