Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater not so hot

Took the boat out last night and the heater just seemed like it was blowing out slightly warm air. Just a few days ago it was blowing out hot air. Any ideas what it could be?

Usually the heaters blow hot air when the engine RPMs are up... like over 1500 or 2000 RPM. Then it blows cooler air when the engine is at idle speeds. There is a Y adapter available that forces the system to suck warm water from the engine faster, which helps.Lots of info from other boat owners if you Google it. The adapter is available from Skidim, direct from Heatercraft, or most any boat dealer who deals in Heatercraft heaters.

Usually the heaters blow hot air when the engine RPMs are up... like over 1500 or 2000 RPM. Then it blows cooler air when the engine is at idle speeds. There is a Y adapter available that forces the system to suck warm water from the engine faster, which helps.Lots of info from other boat owners if you Google it. The adapter is available from Skidim, direct from Heatercraft, or most any boat dealer who deals in Heatercraft heaters.

thanks Bill.

The strange thing is that I was actually driving the boat after a run in the water. I was pulling a buddy and had the heater on. It was blowing warm air but not hot like the day before. The rpms were up around 3000 to 3500 and it still wasn't hot.

I am going to look at getting one of those y adapters but could this be something else?

Edited by pablo

thanks Bill.

The strange thing is that I was actually driving the boat after a run in the water. I was pulling a buddy and had the heater on. It was blowing warm air but not hot like the day before. The rpms were up around 3000 to 3500 and it still wasn't hot.

I am going to look at getting one of those y adapters but could this be something else?

You should definitely have hot air at 3000-3500 RPM. I'd check the water lines to/from the heater, they should be pretty warm to the touch. There might be some blockage either before the heater core, or in the core itself.

HEhe, yea, what he said.....^^^^^^^

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

You should definitely have hot air at 3000-3500 RPM. I'd check the water lines to/from the heater, they should be pretty warm to the touch. There might be some blockage either before the heater core, or in the core itself.

HEhe, yea, what he said.....^^^^^^^

thanks you guys.

Is it very hard to follow the lines up to the heater core? I've got a 247 lsv.

I'm not sure where your core is located. It's up under the driver's side dash on my Vride. I can follow the heater hoses for a foot or so as they go into the floor & down the stringer. I had my wife pull on them as I went back by the engine & looked for the moving hoses. :rockon:

They came up in the very back, one goes into the water pump & the other into the intake manifold.

At the time I was installing radiator flush Ts in the lines. Now I can drain the core by removing the caps & the core drains into the bilge. In this pic, you can see that I'm looking down between the engine water pump & the muffler.

flushts.jpg

I'm not sure where your core is located. It's up under the driver's side dash on my Vride. I can follow the heater hoses for a foot or so as they go into the floor & down the stringer. I had my wife pull on them as I went back by the engine & looked for the moving hoses. :rockon:

They came up in the very back, one goes into the water pump & the other into the intake manifold.

At the time I was installing radiator flush Ts in the lines. Now I can drain the core by removing the caps & the core drains into the bilge. In this pic, you can see that I'm looking down between the engine water pump & the muffler.

flushts.jpg

thanks alot I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure where the core is. I'll check it out when I get to the lake where the boat is being stored

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where to continue questions/comments about the heater so I picked this discussion. It's the middle of July and I've been out in my boat since the end of May. Fixed the leak in the back and a few days ago I feel warm water by my feet so I knew it was coming from the heater.

I have a couple of questions--It's been running for 6-7 weeks just fine so do heater cores just randomly go bad? Is it possible that a hose connected to the heater core is loose? How can I know for sure or should I just assume that a 2005 Malibu Response Lxi with 385 hours is going to have the heater core go bad?

Thanks