Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Euro F3 or Mystere?

Badger

Hi All,

After a couple of unexpected expenses, my wife and I are gun-shy about pulling the trigger on a loan for a new boat. There is a 93 Euro F3 closed box with under 400 hours for sale on my lake that I'm test driving later tonight. I also saw a '90 Mystere with the open bow about 20 miles away with about 450 hours. I could have either for under $8000. The plan would be to use for this summer and possibly next, under the we get settled into the finances here.

Any opinions on either of these? I'm a slalom skier and I've already warned my wife she may not be surfing behind either of these.

My biggest fear is that I wouldn't be able to sell when the time came. What do you think?

Badger

90 Mystere has wood floor and wood in stringers.

93 Euro F3 does not. It's all glass.

If you are a serious slalom guy, the Euro F3 hull has an unfortunately hard wake table at 15off. At 22 off there's a hump dip hump - where the table is slightly below both wakes. "Airborn" is common at those rope lengths.

At 28 off, it's nice...though a response wake is very noticeably softer.

And at 32, 35 and 38, crossing the wake is just pull hard...tick tick...stand and ride - as you cross the wake.

A 93 Euro sells, fairly consistently, for $10k in very good condition.

This assumes everything is working, interior has been replaced or babied and is not in need of any work, gelcoat is shiny and the trailer is in very good shape as well.

Mystere is much less known and less searched for, but open bow.

I don't know about the Mystere wake.

In my opinion, the Euro F3 is an awesome boat for those who are not rolling in cash and won't borrow for a boat. That's just my $.02 and I will forever proclaim that I only know 7 things.

So read my advice for entertainment purposes only.

Smile.gif

martinarcher

Hi All,

After a couple of unexpected expenses, my wife and I are gun-shy about pulling the trigger on a loan for a new boat. There is a 93 Euro F3 closed box with under 400 hours for sale on my lake that I'm test driving later tonight. I also saw a '90 Mystere with the open bow about 20 miles away with about 450 hours. I could have either for under $8000. The plan would be to use for this summer and possibly next, under the we get settled into the finances here.

Any opinions on either of these? I'm a slalom skier and I've already warned my wife she may not be surfing behind either of these.

My biggest fear is that I wouldn't be able to sell when the time came. What do you think?

Badger

I'd say go for it. It makes great financial sense as you don't have the huge loan now and still get to have fun on the lake. Both are good boats. My skier is a good slalom course boat and those two should be very similar. Don't sell it short for surfing or boarding either. It has been done. Thumbup.gif

Check out this thread. Rockon.gif

Edited by martinarcher

Thanks for the info guys. And thanks for making it through my mis-spellings in the first post.

1. The Euro has a closed BOW, not box.

2. And it's UNTIL we get settled with the finances, I hope we don't go UNDER them.

My test drive fell through, as the guy got home from work too late. We're going to reschedule for tonight. I think just knowing that the '93 is all glass is a big advantage. And it's on my lake and was recommended at different times by two of my neighbors, that the owner was pretty meticulous with his stuff.

Will the Euro have this mysterious Computron that I read about but don't really know what it does? Also, will I be able to add Perfect Pass or some type of speed control to the boat?

MA - Thanks for the link. It looks like you have a sweet ballast system there.

I also see my local dealer has a couple of options including a '98 Sportster that would only be about $3,000 more than the Euro with 100 extra hours. Any opinions on that one and would it be worth going up the $3,000? How about resale on this one?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-MALIBU-Sportster-97094867

That's my old Sportster! If you have any questions about it call me (419)957-9941 please. You will not find a better used boat. I also have some left over oil for it that I won't be using in my VRide. I'm serious man call me you won't believe the history of this boat. You ask the question about resale too... I traded it in and got what I paid for it last year.

Edited by 98buphon

I also see my local dealer has a couple of options including a '98 Sportster that would only be about $3,000 more than the Euro with 100 extra hours. Any opinions on that one and would it be worth going up the $3,000? How about resale on this one?

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-MALIBU-Sportster-97094867

Without seeing the boats, I'd go with the Sportster - people love them, and the 310 indmar is a great motor.

They made them from 98-05 IIRC, whereas the Euro has be dead for along time now.

-Chris

I believe the 93 Euro F3 might still have wood stringers, but verify that for sure. The Echelon introduced in 93 was the first Malibu that was woodless. I have owned a 93 Euro F3 and it was a very good boat, it does have the 15 bump and 22 rooster tail. None of the boats listed will have the Computron, that was limited to the Echelon series boat. There is a size difference between the Mystere/Euro F3 and the Sportster, the Sporty being a smaller boat. The Sporty does get very good reviews and most owners are quite passionate about those models as they are very good skiing and footing boats. The Sporty was introduced as a lower price point boat to the Response, it did not include a lot of the luxury features to keep the price in check but included the performance features. One thing to check, it was optional to get the three tracking fins on the Sporty as it came with two standard. A '98 ski boat for that price is certainly a good deal and should offer many years of excellent service.

One other key between those boats, the '98 will have the newer generation GM cylinder heads (Vortec) and will offer a significant performance improvement over the non Vortec version. That IMO is a significant difference, particularly if you have a short set up or pull heavier skiers.

I feel really bad now because I traded this in and they gave me 10K. Now they are asking more than that without all the crap that I gave them with it. I had the Wedge, Fly high, and barefoot boom. It was a killer deal for anyone. This thing is imaculate too.

I'm even starting to look at that sporty and think...it would go nice parked on the other side of the dock with the VTX. I've also heard GREAT things about the sporty as far as the performance aspect. And I'm sure you could get that wedge put back on if you wanted.

That's my old Sportster! If you have any questions about it call me (419)957-9941 please. You will not find a better used boat. I also have some left over oil for it that I won't be using in my VRide. I'm serious man call me you won't believe the history of this boat. You ask the question about resale too... I traded it in and got what I paid for it last year.

I left you a message at that number. Give me a call when you get a chance.

Would the '98 be fuel injected?

My wife saw pictures of the Sportster with a standard color scheme, and made the decision for us. She also liked that the rear seat was raised off the ground slightly as compared to the Euro. We're picking up the Sporty this afternoon!

Wow, congrats!! You didn't waste any time on that decision :thumbup: Based on the info 98buphon provided I hope you are making them put the wedge back on..??

Edited by Ndawg12

Yes, no time wasted. We did pick it up this afternoon! The wedge, fly hi pole and boom were all sold separately over the 4th weekend. Thanks to all for the information, especially Buphon and MSU for the phone calls today. We're excited to get onto the water, but unfortunately the lift isn't coming from storage until Friday and we're trying to get the new house ready for a 40th Birthday party on Saturday (mine!). I'll get some photos and post in a new thread.

It's funny because I skied this morning behind a neighbor's Sportster for the first time. Then I went and bought one!

So now you can skip looking for the VTX, buy an older VLX for boarding and keep the sportster, best of both worlds.

-Chris

:plus1: Probably what I'd do if I could go back. The VTX is awesome but if the boats not being trailered than an older VLX (2005) and an older ski boat (your new Sporty) would end up costing the same anyways! And it would be the BEST of both worlds instead of the BEST compromise of the two worlds.

I had friends who looked into moving from an 03 VLX to a VTX for barefooting and better slalom performance. They live on the lake.

They bought an outboard Flightcraft instead, and now have world class wakes for all they sports.

-Chris

martinarcher

My wife saw pictures of the Sportster with a standard color scheme, and made the decision for us. She also liked that the rear seat was raised off the ground slightly as compared to the Euro. We're picking up the Sporty this afternoon!

Awesome! Congrats! I've never been on a Sporty, but they seem to have a loyal following. They sounds like sweet little high performance boats! Rockon.gif You'll have to post some pics!

So now you can skip looking for the VTX, buy an older VLX for boarding and keep the sportster, best of both worlds.

-Chris

That's a great idea that has already crossed my mind as well. I'm going to wait a bit before bringing it up with the wife though!