Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hitch ball mount with 1" drop

Tyger

(the new boat posting streak continues)

I have a master lock 2" drop ball mount (self-locking, I love it). However, with the new boat it seems like it's too low. I can see that the rear tires on the trailer have less pressure on them and the truck (2005 Lincoln Aviator) is riding lower. I want to get level, but it seems like what I need is a 1" drop and I can't find one anywhere. Master Lock's "infinite" adjustable hitch can't really go between like 2" drop and 2" raise.

I can flip my current ball mount for a 3/4" raise instead of 2" drop, but running the trailer up and down on the wheel next to the hitch it looks like that will be too high.

Any thoughts?

First, is the air ride on the back of the Aviator working properly?

Second, the truck will sag if you flip the ball mount over and hitch it up, you can measure sag with the current setup, just measure the difference from when trailer off to trailer on.

Option one, leave as is and rotate trailer tires often (after checking air leveling system).

Option two, flip the ball mount and use it that way, if better. Remember to check prop guard clearance.

Option three, use one of these, but they are pricey:

http://www.andersenhitches.com/category.cfm/.htm?c=650e7a29-b33e-4b70-b896-02759c97e746

The Fulton F2 Jack is adjustable. I had the same problem with our new ride. I had to slide the jack further down so the jack was lifting the trailer higher. It now even goes high enough when the air ride is extended.

Did i read Lincoln Aviator?Thats gotta be pushing tow capacity with the big 23.you need a Navigator with that boat :biggrin: Id just flip the hitch and hook the boat up you are probably good that way.

(the new boat posting streak continues)

I have a master lock 2" drop ball mount (self-locking, I love it). However, with the new boat it seems like it's too low. I can see that the rear tires on the trailer have less pressure on them and the truck (2005 Lincoln Aviator) is riding lower. I want to get level, but it seems like what I need is a 1" drop and I can't find one anywhere. Master Lock's "infinite" adjustable hitch can't really go between like 2" drop and 2" raise.

I can flip my current ball mount for a 3/4" raise instead of 2" drop, but running the trailer up and down on the wheel next to the hitch it looks like that will be too high.

Any thoughts?

Yes, you can. Thats what I had to do with mine to get the trailer to ride level.

Did i read Lincoln Aviator?Thats gotta be pushing tow capacity with the big 23.you need a Navigator with that boat

7100 pounds (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-to-2005-lincoln-aviator-6.htm)

More than enough to pull the 23 and trailer, with your mom in it! (oh, sick burn :lol:)

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try flipping it first.

I flipped mine to get the right adjustments.

A good place to look is at a trailer store (utility trailers), a farm store, or u-haul. They seem to carry a lot of stock of multiple steps and drops.

Also, I meant to ask: has anyone used one of these greaseless hitch balls and are the good?

http://bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1347

I have switched all of my hitches out with these and I love them, no more greasy balls to bump up against! The only thing is that you need to be pretty lined up when you drop the trailer on the ball. If you aren't it will take a chunk of the material out.

Terry

I have switched all of my hitches out with these and I love them, no more greasy balls to bump up against! The only thing is that you need to be pretty lined up when you drop the trailer on the ball. If you aren't it will take a chunk of the material out.

Terry

Plus1.gif these are great! i have put them on both tow vehicles and have started giving them as gifts to family members for bday's/holidays. i use mine to tow our boat accross the state multiple times a year and have not had a single issue yet (knock on wood, as i am driving accross the state today)

7100 pounds (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2003-to-2005-lincoln-aviator-6.htm)

More than enough to pull the 23 and trailer, with your mom in it! (oh, sick burn :lol:)

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try flipping it first.

:crazy: more than enough or barely enough? Isnt an Aviator an overpriced Explorer?(BUUURN :lol: )Your mom, I havent heard that forever.nice touch :lol: