Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

oil change

Hey guys, gonna change my oil in my 04 sporty. I've seen a pump setup mentioned for getting the oil out. Is that necessary or can you just drain it out the bottom of the pan like a regular car oil change? If i need the pump or if it really makes life alot easier where can I order one. Nothing like the right tool for the job no doubt. Thanks, Ken

I have an 04 Response LXi with the Hammerhead 380 engine and can easily change the oil myself. I simply run the drain hose through the bilge drain hole into a container to catch the oil, remove the cap from the hose and let it sit overnight. It helps the oil drain faster if the engine is warm. After that is done, replace the filter, put in five quarts of oil (I use Valvoline VR1 SAE 50) and you're good to go!

The hardest part is getting the oil filter off and not making a mess all over :biggrin: It's a pc of cake if you have the hose as mentioned from 007.

Yeah, the first time I did mine the previous owner had over-tightened the oil filter and I had to destroy it to get it off. Made quite a mess in the bilge. It doesn't hurt to put a small pan underneath the filter to catch the it and any oil that drips out while you're changing it.

Not that your sporty has ballast, but my '04 VLX has a ballast pump using the drain plug under the motor...

I had to use the extractor. They are about $40 at West Marine or an auto parts store.

Warm up the engine and attach the extractor to the drain hose (on the motor-black hose with brass fittings on the end should be clipped to the hoisting ring.) Works like a reverse bike pump.. Oil should be warm to work well.

Good luck.

wrap the oil filter in a gallon zip lock bag, then as you remove it any spills will stay in the bag.

be cautious of melting the bag if everything is too hot.

Hey guys, gonna change my oil in my 04 sporty. I've seen a pump setup mentioned for getting the oil out. Is that necessary or can you just drain it out the bottom of the pan like a regular car oil change? If i need the pump or if it really makes life alot easier where can I order one. Nothing like the right tool for the job no doubt. Thanks, Ken

THere is a hose that is under the engine that you can lower down through the bilge drain, and put an oil pan outside the boat to catch the oil. I run the engine on a fake-a-lake for a few minutes to get the oil hot so it flows easily and gets all the crud out.

For the oil filter, I put a kitchen trash bag under the filter in the bilge, which catches all the oil that drips from aroudn the oil filter. I drop the oil filter into the garbage bag and lift the whole thing out of the boat and drain it into the oil catch pan.