Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailor Tires

I'm reviving this old thread instead of starting yet another one about tires.

So I'm waiting for our first thaw (hopefully soon) when I'll dig out the boat and pull it to the lake to start the pre-season projects. My tires are at least 8 years old, Carlisle ST225/75/D15. I held my breath the whole way (2 hrs) to storage, but now that I've got some time I want to buy tires and have it ready to roll. Of course, nobody stocks trailer tires at this time of year. I was going to go with another Carlisle ST225/75/R15 (Radial, 10 ply C rated) for the Echelon on a single axle Extreme trailer. But they run about $110 apiece, out the door, need 3. I rarely trailer the boat. Should I go cheap? Or is there another tire/source? I am 50/50 on just buying them and getting it done, but I also see good logic in going cheap since I rarely trailer. What's the Crew think?

So I'm waiting for our first thaw (hopefully soon) when I'll dig out the boat and pull it to the lake to start the pre-season projects. My tires are at least 8 years old, Carlisle ST225/75/D15. I held my breath the whole way (2 hrs) to storage, but now that I've got some time I want to buy tires and have it ready to roll. Of course, nobody stocks trailer tires at this time of year. I was going to go with another Carlisle ST225/75/R15 (Radial, 10 ply C rated) for the Echelon on a single axle Extreme trailer. But they run about $110 apiece, out the door, need 3. I rarely trailer the boat. Should I go cheap? Or is there another tire/source? I am 50/50 on just buying them and getting it done, but I also see good logic in going cheap since I rarely trailer. What's the Crew think?

That is a high price, where are you getting that from? is that mounted and old tire disposal price?

What's the crew think? You don't even want to know what I think. What a tighta$$.

That is a high price, where are you getting that from? is that mounted and old tire disposal price?

Yes, it is high, I guess nobody stocks them this time of year and the price typically goes down in the summer? My "out the door" quotes (tax, disp, mount, etc.) are:

$344.30

$330.00

$374.75

I am going to replace my tires and spare before a trip from FL to NH in June. I have spent hours searching/reading/researching the MalibuCrew threads on trailer tires. I've also done the same on TMC and Planet Nautique.Obviously the opinions are split and all over the place. People have had tread separation and blowouts with Goodyear Marathons and Carlisles (and others of course). Apparently there is no easy answer. I have had tread separation a couple times before. Not fun - both on the highway, but both with tandem-axle trailers that are better equipped for a blowout.

I am now running a single-axle Boatmate, and want to be as proactive as possible. I'm planning on probably buyiing GY Marathons (225/75/15 Load Range D) even though I have had tread separation with them before. I will crank-up the pressure to 65 PSI and try to keep the speed 70 mph or below.

Any other ideas or recent revelations in the world of trailer tires? Seems crazy we could put a man on the moon 40+ years ago, but we can't get a trailer tire that won't fail if it is more than a year old, or driven over 50 MPH above 65 degrees Fahrenheit.........

What's the crew think? You don't even want to know what I think. What a tighta$$.

Can't come in over budget, whether it's fixing up the boat or re-doing the kitchen, and my boat budget is low on the list. It just seems high. If I trailered it a lot, no question at all, get the best available. But I might put 10 road hours on this trailer annually, which is why I ask.

Edited by Michigan boarder

More into from another supplier:

Because it's a trailer that will sit most of the time, a radial tire is not as good a solution, as the steel belts will rust and eventually fail without notice. This trailer will sit inside a storage area in the winter with the boat on it, and in the summer it will also be inside while the boat is on the lift. They say a bias (nylon corded) tire would be better for a trailer that sits a lot (boat, camper, etc.) A Carlisle Sport Trail bias tire, 8 ply, is $82.50 out the door. So I still have 2540lb per tire capacity for a trailer and boat that will weight less than 4000lb gassed and geared. $82.50 x 3 = $247.50, so that's about $100 cheaper than the radial options. And they are in stock. Any reason not to go bias?

Boarder, In the past a towed a lot more and would tell you not to skimp. But now I have the same situation as you. 4 hours a year to and from storage is about it. When I need new ones I would go with the Bias Carlisle.