Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

So that's why my back hurts

Jimmypooh

Nice picture, but I just have to comment...

<Rant>

NEVER LET A SURFER DO WHAT THE GUY ON THE RIGHT IS DOING WITH THE ROPE... NEVER. IT IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN.

</Rant>

Very bad things happen with a slack rope & a surfer/skier who falls. And that rope is 1/3 of the way wrapped around his body before he even starts to fall. Even at the slow speeds of surfing any body part that gets tangled in the rope can be severely damaged - or worse.

Tie another loop in the rope & tie off to the boat there so there are no loose loops as they pull up into the pocket.

Not sure if I would call it fun with how old they look, it almost seems like they should be out there on their own. That's just me :biggrin:

NEVER LET A SURFER DO WHAT THE GUY ON THE RIGHT IS DOING WITH THE ROPE... NEVER. IT IS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN.

Very bad things happen with a slack rope & a surfer/skier who falls. And that rope is 1/3 of the way wrapped around his body before he even starts to fall. Even at the slow speeds of surfing any body part that gets tangled in the rope can be severely damaged - or worse.

Tie another loop in the rope & tie off to the boat there so there are no loose loops as they pull up into the pocket.

:plus1:

My wife fell and the rope caught her around the neck, luckily it didn't catch and a bad rope burn was all she got.

Seems to be a little bitterness on this forum.

Looks to me like you guys had a lot of fun doing somethings I haven't seen before. Keep on inventing new things to do on the water, maybe you will come up with a new sport.

I may be stealing your idea and possibly trying to improve on it. I hope you don't mind.

Looks to me like you guys had a lot of fun doing somethings I haven't seen before. Keep on inventing new things to do on the water, maybe you will come up with a new sport.

I may be stealing your idea and possibly trying to improve on it. I hope you don't mind.

On my part, I'm just saying the kids look old enough to do the surfing themselves. Now if they were about 4-5 years old I could see that being a little more interesting and fun for everyone.

If my back hurt from that I sure wouldn't do it anymore....

Wow, well I could be wrong but it looks like they are having fun doing something different. He is just posting something unique that I doubt many people have seen or done before.

I am also assuming that the title is a joke and once you see the pic you understand that.

Come on man, its just some people having fun. Lets not be a Debbie Downer over all this.

Not at all. have fun with it. We keep trying to think of new fun things to do.

I keep hearing stories of my grandfather skiing on a round piece of plywood. They handed him a ladder from the dock while he skied past and then sat on it while drinking a beer. I wish there were pictures of that.

Agreed. I just wanted to show people a fun picture and see some other fun pictures if anyone had any.

The kids do surf on their own. We just wanted to do something different. We likely wont be able to next year as they will be a lot bigger. I'm mostly kidding about my back; I just need to work out more.

The guy on the right is me. I understand the safety thing, but the way I'm holding the rope is on purpose. I refuse to coil the rope. That seems more dangerous to me. Someone was killed in front of our place because of a coiled rope. I can easily throw it if needed. Each person has to be aware of risks and equipment and ski/surf/board to their ability.

Exactly, there is a risk in everything we do. The first guy to down hill ski was probably nuts. The first guy to water ski was probably nuts. I love people that think outside the box like you did getting those kids up on your shoulders. I remember back before I knew about wakesurfing and wake skating, when I got up on a surfboard and flew around at wakeboarding speeds (with rope in hand obviously). I was so happy when I found out people were already doing this and that there was an easier way to get up than using the kneeboard technique. However, I was bummed to to find out that not only were people already doing this, but they were damn good at it too.

One day I will come up with something new. You guys can thank me in advance if you would like.

I keep hearing stories of my grandfather skiing on a round piece of plywood. They handed him a ladder from the dock while he skied past and then sat on it while drinking a beer. I wish there were pictures of that.

This is an old show ski trick from 50 or more years ago. Your grand dad may have very well done it. It is still pretty common in shows in the mid west. Lots of videos online doing it too.

BTW, we figured out a way to send a beer down the rope using the velcro rope keeper. :yahoo:

straightline-pylon-rope-keeper.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

BTW, we figured out a way to send a beer down the rope using the velcro rope keeper. :yahoo:

Thats kind of awesome.

Oh boy, the wet blankets are going to hate that comment. Let me just say it so we can move on. Bill that is so dangerous. Did you know that the Surgeon General told me that alcohol can impair your judgement and reaction time. What if you were halfway done with your beer and you dropped it, not only would you waste some beer but you would be forced to turn around and pick it up while still riding, that could take a couple passes before your drunkself could get to the beer. You probably could have had a couple beers during that time, your friends will probably drink all your beer during that process. So irresponsible. Please buy a non-slip coozy.

Edited by wakeboy

Thats kind of awesome.

Oh boy, the wet blankets are going to hate that comment. Let me just say it so we can move on. Bill that is so dangerous. Did you know that the Surgeon General told me that alcohol can impair your judgement and reaction time. What if you were halfway done with your beer and you dropped it, not only would you waste some beer but you would be forced to turn around and pick it up while still riding, that could take a couple passes before your drunkself could get to the beer. You probably could have had a couple beers during that time, your friends will probably drink all your beer during that process. So irresponsible. Please buy a non-slip coozy.

HEhe, yessa massa. :rockon:

I gotta say, we have dropped that can a few times & always go back & pick it up. But it's usually pretty easy to just crush it & stuff it in your vest till your done riding. :unsure:

BTW, I've been accused of having impaired judgment....... and I was still sober at the time. :crazy:

HEhe, yessa massa. :rockon:

I gotta say, we have dropped that can a few times & always go back & pick it up. But it's usually pretty easy to just crush it & stuff it in your vest till your done riding. :unsure:

BTW, I've been accused of having impaired judgment....... and I was still sober at the time. :crazy:

More like that we still think/act like a teenager at times....lol In your case its more often than not....:biggrin:

I surf w/ my son on my shoulders all the time..great times

call me debbie downer, but that rope dragging behind the surfer is dangerous.

If you want to do that, that is your prerogative, but for anyone viewing this topic, don't be thinking that is a good idea. Tie the rope shorter and don't use a rope with a ski/wakeboard handle.

This is an old show ski trick from 50 or more years ago. Your grand dad may have very well done it. It is still pretty common in shows in the mid west. Lots of videos online doing it too.

straightline-pylon-rope-keeper.jpg

Not to be outdone by Bill.

I happen to use a pulley to get a mixed drink in a plastic sports bottle out to a rider. I'm talking 75' out. If the delivery stalls mid stream, you just let the rope drop down into the water for a little bit.

471211Lrg.jpg

I happen to use a pulley to get a mixed drink in a plastic sports bottle out to a rider. I'm talking 75' out. If the delivery stalls mid stream, you just let the rope drop down into the water for a little bit.

471211Lrg.jpg

HHehehe, nice! So how do you apply the brakes to that drink & keep it from hitting your rider square in the chest??? :Doh:

471211Lrg.jpg

:notworthy:

call me debbie downer, but that rope dragging behind the surfer is dangerous.

If you want to do that, that is your prerogative, but for anyone viewing this topic, don't be thinking that is a good idea. Tie the rope shorter and don't use a rope with a ski/wakeboard handle.

No we understand, thanks mom.

That Pulley is awesome. These are the kinds of topics we need to have more of.

What are some of the other crazy things people do during their watersports activities? Mom, please turn away this is probably going to be some more dangerous things talked about on here.

:plus1: to wakeboy on the more fun topics remark.

This may not be somethign super different at all but when we had our o/b we used to get up on a skim board and ride aroudn to try and get our surf fix in without losing any limbs. As you can tell it's not as good as surfing and therefore we have an inboard now but it was still alot of fun. It's liek standing on a banana peel. You can spin like a top standing perfectly straight with the rope above your head, and the wipeouts are hilarious.

BTW, when I say skim board I mean the super super thin wodden ones used for skimmin on the beach.

What are some of the other crazy things people do during their watersports activities? Mom, please turn away this is probably going to be some more dangerous things talked about on here.

When I lived on Sammamish, I used to carry a kite on the boat. Whenever it got windy, I'd pull it out & fly it over the raft up of boats we always had. One time a buddy brought a "Little oral Annie" blow up sex doll out. Had her tied up, straddling his tower. No idea what made us think of it, but we decided Annie needed to learn to fly. So we ran her up the kite string. She flew pretty well!! :crazy:

Hehe, found a pic of her too...... :rofl:

anniekite.jpg

Beat that Pete!! :yahoo:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

When I lived on Sammamish, I used to carry a kite on the boat. Whenever it got windy, I'd pull it out & fly it over the raft up of boats we always had. One time a buddy brought a "Little oral Annie" blow up sex doll out. Had her tied up, straddling his tower. No idea what made us think of it, but we decided Annie needed to learn to fly. So we ran her up the kite string. She flew pretty well!! :crazy:

It's official, I'm going to WOW next year for some of that kind of fun :thumbup:

I always wondered if it would be fun (or funny to watch) if someone tried to ride a concave snow disk (not sure of the actual name of them) either sitting facing the boat or trying to stand up. Anyone ever tried that? This reminds me of a topic I started a while back, a good humorous read for some of the newer guys.

My link

HHehehe, nice! So how do you apply the brakes to that drink & keep it from hitting your rider square in the chest??? :Doh:

It will stop once it gets to the handle.

anniekite.jpg

You're the king Bill. :notworthy: I'll see if Jens has any pics. of the pulley system in use.

It's official, I'm going to WOW next year for some of that kind of fun :thumbup:

I always wondered if it would be fun (or funny to watch) if someone tried to ride a concave snow disk (not sure of the actual name of them) either sitting facing the boat or trying to stand up. Anyone ever tried that? This reminds me of a topic I started a while back, a good humorous read for some of the newer guys.

My link

That's your mission at next year's wow.

471211Lrg.jpg

I would love to see a picture/video of this brilliant device in action... :thumbup:

Just tried this over the July 4th holiday. Got right up and could probably go ropeless if I tried hard enough. He only weighs 55lbs so it didn't feel much different.

He's just now getting into the water sports thing but we really have to push him to do any of it. Once he does it he loves it. Notice the smile on his face...5 minutes prior to this he wasn't so happy.

wake.jpg