Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Quote

Hey!!

I'm looking to see what my boat may be worth and would love feedback from the knowlegable crew. Here are some details of the boat:

1986 Malibu Skier, PCM Ford 351 (240hp), Floor, carpet, starter, alternator, edelbrock carb, plugs have been replaced recently. Changed points to Pertronix breakerless ignition system. Newer wood on the seats. Needs new interior. For the most part seats are ok, except for vinyl on the front passenger seat. Has probably 750 hours on the boat(gauge quit working with previous owner). It runs great! Could use some paint work above trailor tires on hull (the previous owner said the fell off and rubbed it)

Trailor bunks have been replaced with new carpet. Trailor doesn't need much work, mainly paint. It has new lights and plug.

Also has mooring/storage cover.

Please let me know what you all think it is worth. (I may be willing to sell)

Thanks!

In "Needs Work" condition - my guess is you would have a challenging time finding a buyer over $2,500. Do the work and and do it right - and you'll be in the driver's seat to find a buyer around $7,500 provided it's not pink and teal.

In my experience, folks that defer fixing stuff end up getting hammered in value in this kind of economy. Paint...you don't paint this type of hull - that's gel coat work and it's not something most people do as a diy project. And boat paint, such as Awlgrip for yachts isn't typically put on a runabout or ski boat.

Trailer - if it doesn't need much...just paint...and there's rust where it needs paint - then it needs quite a bit. The trailer needs to be sandblasted and painted. Just managing expectations a little.

New interior, some gauges, fix the gel coat, sandblast and paint the trailer, and replace the other stuff that's just worn out that you didn't mention is probably going to run more than $5k. Sounds like you tuned the engine and did the floor already? Did you get the boat for a song?

Edited by JeffS

Paint...you don't paint this type of hull - that's gel coat work and it's not something most people do as a diy project. And boat paint, such as Awlgrip for yachts isn't typically put on a runabout or ski boat.

Could be right on an 86, but I learned my 85 nautique was painted after I had thought it was gelcoat too. The hull is gelled and the graphics painted, so it could be possible that there is some paint on the exterior of an 86 malibu, though I am not personally familiar with their construction methods during that era.

No paint. Actually good gel, and very workable with wetsanding. I took 20 years off my gel a few summers ago. Looks better than many of the newer boats on the lake (the gel coat that is... doesn't look as cool otherwise of course).

Skier87 -- I put more $$ into my old sunsetter than I'll ever get back. I didn't want to, but rotten stringers forced me to fix it or throw it away. But I did most of the work myself and there are quite a few things that will really change your boat sales status. The dash for instance, can be brought up to a modern look pretty easily. Wet sand and polish the gel, update the dash, and redo the interior and you'll be surprised. A lot of Ebay shopping too. Here's a link to some ideas for you. http://picasaweb.google.com/myfourday

I would have put the classic decals on too, but obviously they don't make em. I almost wish I didn't put any -- looks too much like a wanna be new boat. But a few of the things above and you'll be surprised. I've had lots of offers (not even for sale) and most think it's much newer than an 87.

In "Needs Work" condition - my guess is you would have a challenging time finding a buyer over $2,500. Do the work and and do it right - and you'll be in the driver's seat to find a buyer around $7,500 provided it's not pink and teal.

In my experience, folks that defer fixing stuff end up getting hammered in value in this kind of economy. Paint...you don't paint this type of hull - that's gel coat work and it's not something most people do as a diy project. And boat paint, such as Awlgrip for yachts isn't typically put on a runabout or ski boat.

Trailer - if it doesn't need much...just paint...and there's rust where it needs paint - then it needs quite a bit. The trailer needs to be sandblasted and painted. Just managing expectations a little.

New interior, some gauges, fix the gel coat, sandblast and paint the trailer, and replace the other stuff that's just worn out that you didn't mention is probably going to run more than $5k. Sounds like you tuned the engine and did the floor already? Did you get the boat for a song?

Mine is Pink and Teal and I had a dude offer me 7K for it out on the water yesterday... LOL How cool is that! of course its a 93 and doesn't need any work at all...

I Think everyone is right. The thing sounds like it needs some work to get top dollar. Probably worth $3500 TOPS.

If you want a better estimate post up a few pics.

Edited by Levi900RR

Yeah I will try to get up some pictures. Really, the only thing it need is new skins on the seats. It runs great and very mechanically sound. I will be doing the trailor work and other "little" things myself. I was thinking I would sell for $3700. I love this boat but a lot of stuff is coming up and I could use the extra cash, plus I have my sights set on a newer Response because its bigger and more slolam skiing than wakeboarding for a newer boat.

Oh teal and pink isn't that bad..... mine is the blue, red, orange and yellow rainbow color (atleast it is mostly blue :))

Edited by skier_87

Yeah I will try to get up some pictures. Really, the only thing it need is new skins on the seats. It runs great and very mechanically sound. I will be doing the trailor work and other "little" things myself. I was thinking I would sell for $3700. I love this boat but a lot of stuff is coming up and I could use the extra cash, plus I have my sights set on a newer Response because its bigger and more slolam skiing than wakeboarding for a newer boat.

Oh teal and pink isn't that bad..... mine is the blue, red, orange and yellow rainbow color (atleast it is mostly blue :))

Yeah man mine is mostly Blue as well, I also had the interior re-done and axed the Pink from that. Here's a pic of how it came out. You might consider getting new Skins for yours. You will probably get your money back on them and the boat might sell quicker...