Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing on a Wakesetter 247

attilio

Yesterday did wake surfing for the first time being my Wakesetter 247. Couldn’t believe how easy it was to get up, two different people got up on the first try. The issue is how to "catch" the wave so to get rid of the rope. Had wedge down, left ballast full and everyone on that side of the boat. Wave was curling but was unable to carry the the board.

My ballast screen on the dash says there are two rears, center and front but only three switches on the dash. How does the front fill?? Just wondering if there is anyone that is surfing with only using the stock ballast in the 247. I need all the space I have and we do tons of wakeboarding now and don’t want to give up space for extra ballast.

I dont know how much weight is added by filling the rear tank. Does anyone know what the totals are for each of the tanks? Also how is the front tank filled?

We just got a 23 LSV. The surf wake without additional ballast is surfable, but it's a challenge to free ride unless you have a good deal of skill, definitely minimalist wake.

To free ride, lean toward the boat. That's it. Once you get the feel for how far you can lean, you will be able to free ride better. You have to anticipate, as soon as the board starts the direction I want, I'm usually already starting my next move. So as soon as you start moving toward the boat, lean away to 'brake'.

We brought two 750's along today and put one in the left rear locker and one on the trampoline in addition to left center and front ballast full. That definitely made a much more respectable wake.

I should have read a lot more here before a) I bought the boat or at least b) before I went out for the first time. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a custom sac that fills the rear locker and under the seats.

you probably dont have the bow tank. look under your cushions to know for sure. the rear tanks are 250# each. you are going to want alot more weight for surfing. I am sure RINO will post up. he has a dialed in 247.

There are no tanks visible under any cushions. All ballast tanks are under the floor. There is a visible tank in front of the access panel on the floor next to the driver’s seat where you can see the tank and pump.

I have a 23 LSV and just recently I can go with no rope without any weight other than passengers (and ballast tank full).

I bought a 750lb sack last week and it did help but wasn't a huge difference to be honest. Its good for when there aren't many passengers I guess.

I think I need a bigger board or more weight to start doing any tricks. Nobody can go ropeless except for me and its a big struggle to keep it in the sweet spot. One instant of lost concentration and back I go. Another guy walking by us at the dock had a 5' 6" board which is 9" longer than mine said his board is really easy to use. It seemed thicker too. Mine is about as thick as a wakeboard.

Anyway, I think the board is a really important factor here and get the correct one before worrying about adding 2000 lbs of weight.

I have a Broadcast 5'6" board. Its the biggest I couls find.

Just found out that the front tank is optional even though the command center shows a front tank. Does anyone know if a front tank can be added?? Seems to me that it would have to be built into the boat at production.

Just found out that the front tank is optional even though the command center shows a front tank. Does anyone know if a front tank can be added?? Seems to me that it would have to be built into the boat at production.

Yes a front tank can be added by the dealer. I know I've read somewhere here about ppl installing there own sac under the bow seats to get more weight than the stock system.

Mike,

I just completed the addition of the front tank on my 247. If you want to come on over and take a look let me know. I have surfed with just the stock tanks, rear and mid. Yesterday I used the front tank for the first time as well as the rear and mid tanks and two 750# sacks. The wave was much better. I know for a fact that the Broadcast you have will surf just fine on the stock setup, make sure you adjust the wedge to get the best wave. Trust me though, you will have a lot more fun if you add a couple of sacks.

Ken

I have a 23 LSV and just recently I can go with no rope without any weight other than passengers (and ballast tank full).

I bought a 750lb sack last week and it did help but wasn't a huge difference to be honest. Its good for when there aren't many passengers I guess.

I think I need a bigger board or more weight to start doing any tricks. Nobody can go ropeless except for me and its a big struggle to keep it in the sweet spot. One instant of lost concentration and back I go. Another guy walking by us at the dock had a 5' 6" board which is 9" longer than mine said his board is really easy to use. It seemed thicker too. Mine is about as thick as a wakeboard.

Anyway, I think the board is a really important factor here and get the correct one before worrying about adding 2000 lbs of weight.

A bigger board probably has more push, or at least is easier to really lean on. However, if you want to do tricks, bigger is going to work against that. If you watch vids of people pulling surf and skim on youtube, you will notice they are all shorter and narrower boards.

The board can make a big difference, but wake is equally important if you want to be a progressive rider. If you are having fun with your wake, by all means ride it. Riding a minimal wake will make you a better rider overall. However, when you are ready to start tricks, you will want a bigger wake because you need time to pull the trick and recover.

Thanks Ken for the advice. I talked to Malibu today and they explained that the bow tank is indeed on top of the floor. I thought that they were only under the front seats. I don’t want to lose that space for people to sit. We always seem to fill everything with stuff leaving no room. Guess I need to figure out how much I really want to sacrifice to get the BIG wave. We will try again maybe this weekend if I can get up to DP.

Thanks Ken for the advice. I talked to Malibu today and they explained that the bow tank is indeed on top of the floor. I thought that they were only under the front seats. I don’t want to lose that space for people to sit. We always seem to fill everything with stuff leaving no room. Guess I need to figure out how much I really want to sacrifice to get the BIG wave. We will try again maybe this weekend if I can get up to DP.

I believe it is above the floor but below the seats. It doesn't just sit on top of the seats, the existing framing to hold the cushions is removed and the tank sits down in there and the cushions sit on top of the tank. Was the bow tank an option on '06 247's..?? I would think it was standard...

Edit-I guess from what you all are saying, bow ballast was optional in that $80k boat :crazy:

Here is a great thread by liljohn illustrating how to add bow ballast, different boat but yours should be similar. adding bow ballast

Edited by Ndawg12

You don't the sitting area, you just lose the storage beneath the seats as well as the walk through. You remove the seat bases, install the tank and then the original seat cushions sit on the tank. If you are like me the center cushion was always in so we never used the walk through. I can send you some pictures if you want.

I believe it is above the floor but below the seats. It doesn't just sit on top of the seats, the existing framing to hold the cushions is removed and the tank sits down in there and the cushions sit on top of the tank. Was the bow tank an option on '06 247's..?? I would think it was standard...

Edit-I guess from what you all are saying, bow ballast was optional in that $80k boat :crazy:

Here is a great thread by liljohn illustrating how to add bow ballast, different boat but yours should be similar. adding bow ballast

a lot of things were optional, but I do wonder why the bow ballast was. I followed liljohn's plan and even used his parts list. The project was a breeze.

Ken-

The bow ballast was an option only on the ’06 247 come to find out from Malibu. Got the boat without it and never knew the difference until we started surfing and asking around. I guess it’s because of the loss of leg room lost up front is why it’s an option. We never use the center cushion so it may be a bit of a change if we add the tank. At least now I know what I am looking at.

Thanks for your help!

Mike.