Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will somebody just drop their Illusion XS and take a couple of pics already! Release pin bushing pics neeeded

I'm retro fitting a used and slightly broken (hoop bolt) Illusion XS right now and am in need of some pics;

Specifically I need pics of the quick release mounting bushings at the bottom of the tower where it enters the base so my CNC machinist can fab up some. If anyone kows what material they are made from that would be great too,

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Lfootmatt
  • 2 weeks later...

Bump:

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just need pics of the release pin guts. Might serve the BU community well since my CNC guy will be making bushings that don't seem to be available anywhere else.

thanks,

Matt

If they're the same as a IX tower, I'll take some this weekend.

I have an illusion x (not xs). Even if I had the XS I have no idea what you are asking us to take pictures of. That may be why you're not getting a response.

Maybe he wants to see what the pin goes through? I was just going to take some pics of the bottom of the tower while collapsed.

Maybe he wants to see what the pin goes through? I was just going to take some pics of the bottom of the tower while collapsed.

I've got an IX tower but if this is what he needs to see, I can take some pics tonight and will post up.

Yep, I'm looking pics of the bushing that the quick release pin slides through. I suspect the IX and I XS are the same since they use the same pin.

I've tried to locate them without success so I'm down to having my CNC guy make them when he does the adapter plates so it will fit my boat.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Yep, I'm looking pics of the bushing that the quick release pin slides through. I suspect the IX and I XS are the same since they use the same pin.

I've tried to locate them without success so I'm down to having my CNC guy make them when he does the adapter plates so it will fit my boat.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

You may want to look HERE when you get the correct bushing diameter/size. I purchased from them for my Illusion X last year. I also used bronze instead of the nylon as replacements.

-Dave

I have an illusion x (not xs). Even if I had the XS I have no idea what you are asking us to take pictures of. That may be why you're not getting a response.

plus 1 that.

maybe take and post a picture of what it is you want a picture of, if that makes sense.

Matt,

I'm not sure if these are the pics you're looking for. It's a start...so if you need closeups or different angles just let me know.

1.jpg?t=1279773266

21.jpg?t=1279773825

3.jpg?t=1279773266

4.jpg?t=1279773266

Edited by mcbean7

Mcbean7 hit it on the head. That is exactly what I'm looking for (the bushing in the pic with the red arrow that is)! Now if someone can do the same for a XS tower from both sides we will compare notes and come up with a solution that will work!

Mcbean7, what type of material does it look like? Plastic, bronze???

Thanks again!!!

Matt

You may want to look HERE when you get the correct bushing diameter/size. I purchased from them for my Illusion X last year. I also used bronze instead of the nylon as replacements.

-Dave

I'm going to hit them with some calipers ASAP and I'll post what ends up working!

Thanks!

Matt

PS Still looking for those XS pics so I can tell if it is flanged or not.

Give me a couple hours and I'll get you some pics of the XS.

Sweet! I'll post what I come up with so everone can easily procure spares. I've tried with BU dealerships but they have nothing due to the demise of Metcraft.

Thanks,

Matt

Here are the pics. Illusion XS tower.

Inside of tower leg (inside of boat)

IMG_2309.jpg

Outside of tower leg (outside of boat)

IMG_2307.jpg

Looking inside tower base

IMG_2310.jpg

Tower locking pin hole

IMG_2311.jpg

Edited by 06vlx

Perfect! that was exactly waht I needed. It looks like it is a flanged sleeve bearing as detailed in the earilier McMaster Carr link. Once I measure mine up and fit one to it I'll post my findings with ordering info so we can all get spares easily. The one in the pics looks like a plastic material (delrin) if I had to guess. I'm going to go with a bronze grooved & Graphite filled flanged sleeve bearing My link. Should work nicely.

Thanks again!

Matt

PS this is going to look sweet on my boat!

Here are the pics. Illusion XS tower.

Inside of tower leg (inside of boat)

IMG_2309.jpg

Outside of tower leg (outside of boat)

IMG_2307.jpg

Looking inside tower base

IMG_2310.jpg

Tower locking pin hole

IMG_2311.jpg

Mcbean7 hit it on the head. That is exactly what I'm looking for (the bushing in the pic with the red arrow that is)! Now if someone can do the same for a XS tower from both sides we will compare notes and come up with a solution that will work!

Mcbean7, what type of material does it look like? Plastic, bronze???

Thanks again!!!

Matt

Matt,

The material looks and feels like plastic...definitely not bronze.

I have been told the bushings are adjustable . The techs that set the original XS towers up were not properly trained and that is what caused the loose fit on some of the original towers. The only way I can think of to make a bushing adjustable would be to drill the center hole off center. Have fun with that.

DISCLAIMER....this info came from someone who would know, but I can't swear it's true.

Yes, but I'm very determined, and still out of pocket less than the value of scrap for the tower :):):)

Once my CNC guy gets to work on his initial adapter designs it will get a bit more expensive. He's going to use wood blocks for the proto types until the design is finalized. The it goes to extruded alumnium for final production. Will be a sweet update to the look for an older boat.

Thanks,

Matt

I have been told the bushings are adjustable . The techs that set the original XS towers up were not properly trained and that is what caused the loose fit on some of the original towers. The only way I can think of to make a bushing adjustable would be to drill the center hole off center. Have fun with that.

DISCLAIMER....this info came from someone who would know, but I can't swear it's true.

-Dave

Dave - do you know which ones you purchased? i have an IX and need to replace mine as well.

the only reason against using bronze I could think of is that the nylon of delrin bushing my be as an intentional wear piece. So it can fail versus a more critical and more difficult to replace component.

Given that, I'm still going with bronze.

Later,

Matt

Dave - do you know which ones you purchased? i have an IX and need to replace mine as well.

Plus1.gif I could use that part as well, as I'm sure many others could use it.