Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure too High

willh2oski4food

My dad and I went out for a ski this morning on his 2000 sunsetter lxi and our oil pressure was running between 70-80 psi. When we were idling it would jump around between 20-60 psi. We took the boat out yesterday and all the gauges seemed to be running normal. We're headed to the store to buy a oil pressure tester and we're going to change the oil. I think I know where the oil pressure sensor is, but if anyone can help me locate it I would appreciate it. We have the monsoon 325 hp engine. I'm thinking its on the top of the front cylinder towards the front of the engine.

Also if anyone has any other insight on what causes high oil pressure and how to fix it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

my '01 SSLxi does the same thing. It hangs right around 70 when the throttle is on but at idle it yo-yo's between 20 and 40. My oil is new and there is plenty of it so I have chosen to ignore the gauge. As long as the oil PSI is above 20 and the low oil pressure warning beep does not come on I am not going to worry about it. It is not uncommon for these older gauges to act a little goofy.

If someone else has a different opinion on this I'd love to hear it.

oil pressure sending unit(s) are located immediately above the oil filter.

probably two sending units; one an analog for the gage, the other a switch to control fuel pump and alarm.

oil pressure sending unit(s) are located immediately above the oil filter.

probably two sending units; one an analog for the gage, the other a switch to control fuel pump and alarm.

just went through this with the fuel pump switch. on my 99ss lxi its located up by the distributor it has 3 spade terminals on it unless it has been replaced already. then it has two terminals. oil sending unit is down just above the oil filter its the big bell unit. had the bouncing oil pressure gauge also so i installed a manual feed gauge. mounted it on a gauge bracket under the motor box. i check it everytime we go out and it reads steady at 40psi at idle and 65psi at 3000rpm.

don't know about the rest of ya but, i don't believe the gauge on the dash. its just there as a warning for me.

Edited by sgt1970-442

Thanks for the info guys. After searching the forums it seems like this is a somewhat common occurance for this boat and engine.