Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Riding Switch for Beginners

Umatilla Matt

Any tips for a beginner learning to ride switch footed? I normally ride goofy footed, but I'm thinking I probably need to catch up with my switch riding before I progress any further. Any thoughts on this? I always neglect my switch riding because I can't do any of the fun stuff that way. Should I be learning to do everything regular footed that I can do goofy footed? :unsure:

Thanks!

You've just got to do it. It will feel awkward at first, but if you keep at it, it will feel more natural. I always ride some switch every time I'm out. I'm not very good with it, but I do it enough that it doesn't feel too awkward now.

martinarcher

You've just got to do it. It will feel awkward at first, but if you keep at it, it will feel more natural. I always ride some switch every time I'm out. I'm not very good with it, but I do it enough that it doesn't feel too awkward now.

Right on. When you start to get tired, switch to goofy and you'll be able to go quite a while longer. One tip for switching from regular to goofy is to cut away from the boat and then let up. As you slow down, you can spin around really easily on the surface. If you struggle at getting spun around on the water, it's easy to get up goofy until you get used to it a bit more. Just keep your weight balance in mind. You want your front/rear weight distribution the same as when you ride regular, and it's hard not to favor you dominant foot.

Good luck. Just do it! I know it feels weird as first, but it's fun to be able to spin the board right around and ride the other way for a while. Thumbup.gif

It's always easier the first couple times riding goofy to only hold on to the handle with your front arm/hand and let the other arm just hang by your waist Doing so will automatically put you in proper riding direction/form and help to avoid the inevitable switch stance catching the front edge face plant. Once you get comfortable with the feel of being goofy you can start holding the handle with both hands to add more leverage for cutting and hitting the wake.

Thanks for all the tips! I've been taking off switch footed and crossing the wake heelside and toeside that way before each run. Then I switch back and catch some air! I think that is slowly helping me with balance even though I can't jump very far when riding switch. It's like trying to write with my left hand! :Frustrated:

I like to start off doing switch right when I get up. Hit the wake as it is developing and you are still getting up to speed and land goofy. It looks cool and it is actually pretty easy. Another time I like to ride switch is when I am cutting out wide to get some speed, I find it easy to cut out riding switch on my heel side and then get a little slack in the rope and switch back to goofy. Just some tips for getting used to it, start riding switch more and more and try little tricks here and there. It is all practice, the more hours under your belt the better you will be at it.

I find it easy to cut out riding switch on my heel side.

I find myself doing that a lot especially when I get tired! :thumbup:

It is all practice, the more hours under your belt the better you will be at it.

You mean there's not a shortcut??? :biggrin:

I like to start off doing switch right when I get up. Hit the wake as it is developing and you are still getting up to speed and land goofy. It looks cool and it is actually pretty easy. Another time I like to ride switch is when I am cutting out wide to get some speed, I find it easy to cut out riding switch on my heel side and then get a little slack in the rope and switch back to goofy. Just some tips for getting used to it, start riding switch more and more and try little tricks here and there. It is all practice, the more hours under your belt the better you will be at it.

:plus1:

I've received the same advice from a wakeboard instructor.

• 2 weeks later...

ride switch when the water is rough.

Is that because its harder to set up for jumps and more complicated stuff with choppy water?

martinarcher

Is that because its harder to set up for jumps and more complicated stuff with choppy water?

Right on. Coming in for as big jump is just frustrating when the lake is super choppy. It's a good time to learn riding switch.

Right on. Coming in for as big jump is just frustrating when the lake is super choppy. It's a good time to learn riding switch.

That would have been a good idea yesterday when the @&*%$# tubers and jetskis wouldn't give it a rest. I'm glad I didn't have anything to throw... :whistle:

martinarcher

That would have been a good idea yesterday when the @&*%$# tubers and jetskis wouldn't give it a rest. I'm glad I didn't have anything to throw... :whistle:

lol. Learning to ride switch is better than an assault charge. LOL.gif That said, I know exactly how you feel!

Edited by martinarcher

I like to cut out on my heel edge, then come in on my tow and spin a little 180 jumping into the wake (Landing Switch), then I use the lip of the wake on the other side to spin back to regular. It looks cool and its super easy. +1 for letting go with your back hand when learning, It totally helps.

Edited by Levi900RR

I like to cut out on my heel edge, then come in on my tow and spin a little 180 jumping into the wake (Landing Switch), then I use the lip of the wake on the other side to spin back to regular. It looks cool and its super easy. +1 for letting go with your back hand when learning, It totally helps.

Are you talking about switching 'back' as you jump OUT of the wake again?

Are you talking about switching 'back' as you jump OUT of the wake again?

Yes, but I don't really "jump" its more of a mini lip slide 180... I use the lip of the wake to loosen up the board. I makes it easy to spin back around.

Yes, but I don't really "jump" its more of a mini lip slide 180... I use the lip of the wake to loosen up the board. I makes it easy to spin back around.

I like that extra bit of style to throw in there. I always come in switch heelside and 180 into the wake but now I'm going to try coming in regular toe side 180 in the wake and than switch 180 out of the wake. Like you described but I'm going to jump them both. Seems relatively simple....in theory....and I think it will look alright for my skill level. I have no trouble riding switch but I'm not going wake to wake and my 180 w2w's usually end with no board attached to my feet so I need to catch up with the basics. It's just hard when you start landing bigger tricks, it gets boring to be trying 180's or toe-side jumps.

martinarcher

I like that extra bit of style to throw in there. I always come in switch heelside and 180 into the wake but now I'm going to try coming in regular toe side 180 in the wake and than switch 180 out of the wake. Like you described but I'm going to jump them both. Seems relatively simple....in theory....and I think it will look alright for my skill level. I have no trouble riding switch but I'm not going wake to wake and my 180 w2w's usually end with no board attached to my feet so I need to catch up with the basics. It's just hard when you start landing bigger tricks, it gets boring to be trying 180's or toe-side jumps.

I found learning W2W 180's it is easier for me to jump goofy and land regular. I have a 200% better chance of riding away form a funny landing on my regular side than my goofy side. I still haven't landed one goofy, but the yard sale crashes will continue until I do. LOL.gif

Just do it and don't worry about form. If Jim Furyk can play professional golf with a swing like his then all it says is repetition is the name of the game.

martinarcher

Just do it and don't worry about form. If Jim Furyk can play professional golf with a swing like his then all it says is repetition is the name of the game.

That's the kind of advise that will get you hurt. Learn the correct form and you'll get hurt less often and land your tricks much faster.

That's the kind of advise that will get you hurt. Learn the correct form and you'll get hurt less often and land your tricks much faster.

:plus1: