Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead oli pressure alarm

Boat: 2004 Malibu Sportster

Engine: 380 Hammerhead

Problem: Oil pressure alarm goes off at idle. Gauge indicates 5 - 10 at Idle. The Gauge indicates "OIL P" for the alarm. When we bring it up to speed the pressure comes up and the alarm stops.

Often, the oil pressure alarm does not activate until you put it into gear. Alarm goes off, then pressure comes up and alarm goes away.

This problem has been going on since last year. Boat runs perfectly.

Fixes:

The sender has been replaced. Problem persists.

Oil level is fine.

Oil has been changed.

40W Oil has been used (Manufacturers Spec)

Turn Stereo up to Party Level - Temporary fix

We have just received an Oil Cooler. We will install this and see if it corrects the problem.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Has anyone installed the oil cooler on their engine?

Boat: 2004 Malibu Sportster

Engine: 380 Hammerhead

Problem: Oil pressure alarm goes off at idle. Gauge indicates 5 - 10 at Idle. The Gauge indicates "OIL P" for the alarm. When we bring it up to speed the pressure comes up and the alarm stops.

Often, the oil pressure alarm does not activate until you put it into gear. Alarm goes off, then pressure comes up and alarm goes away.

This problem has been going on since last year. Boat runs perfectly.

Fixes:

The sender has been replaced. Problem persists.

Oil level is fine.

Oil has been changed.

40W Oil has been used (Manufacturers Spec)

Turn Stereo up to Party Level - Temporary fix

We have just received an Oil Cooler. We will install this and see if it corrects the problem.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Has anyone installed the oil cooler on their engine?

According to the spec, she needs to have a minimum of 7 PSI @ idle.

If it's @ 5, that's not good. What filter are you running? When you say 40W oil, are you taking 15W-40?

According to the spec, she needs to have a minimum of 7 PSI @ idle.

If it's @ 5, that's not good. What filter are you running? When you say 40W oil, are you taking 15W-40?

dealer put in straight 40W. That suggestion came from Indimar.

At times the on dash pressure gauge shows almost 0, but alarm does not always go off. (yes, wierd)

According to the computer in the boat, it says that the boat has never been low on oil.

Filter is a PH30, made by Fram. Regulation filter for the boat.

just put in the oil cooler. Indimar said this would fix the problem as they thought the oil was getting

worked too hard when we are barefooting.

It didn't fix the problem. Oil pressure alarm still beeping.

I am now ready to pay $50 to the person that can tell me how to stop the beeping in my boat!

I'd even pay to just know what wire to cut in order to stop the alarm from beeping.

first off change the filter to a wix filter. fram filters have been known to have the by-pass valve problems.

try installing a mechanical gauge with an oil line so you can make sure of the oil pressure. i don't trust the gauge on the dash.

how many hours are on the motor? agree 5 psi is too low and possibly you have too much clearance in the main and rod bearings.

if the mechanical gauge reads 5 psi at idle then it might be time for bearings and checking the crankshaft for size.

Short of hooking up a mechanical gauge to see what the pressure is -

Change the filter to a Wix, Napa Gold, Pennzoil, etc....

You changed the pressure sender - that should be the digital unit, might be bad, but I'd check oil pressure mechanically first....

Peter

The beeper is under the dash, black beeper thingy about the size of a quarter with white and red wires (IIRC) coming from it.

There are two oil pressure sensors, the big one is the one that goes to the gauge, ground out the wire at the sensor and make sure you peg the oil pressure reading to eliminate electrical issues. If your dealer has been looking into it this has probably already been done.

I would look into a mechanical sensor as those have said and/or replace that sensor again - weirder things have happened then a new pressure sensor being bad.

-Chris

Appreciate all the help. I will be getting a mechanical oil pressure gauge, and put it in tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

In the mean time, I'll disconnect the buzzer! :thumbup: