Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Continuous beeping

I'm trying to help out my father with his pride and joy, a newly detailed, well-maintained year 2000 Malibu with an Indmar engine.

When launched yesterday, the boat began to take on water due to a loose hose, the 2-inch water cooling system hose. The engine hesitated and then a beeping began. That's when we discovered the leak and the water coming into the engine compartment.

We docked and got the boat up on blocks and eventually figured out that the hose was loose. That solved the leak. All else seemed to be working just fine. All instruments were working, oil pressure was fine, and the oil sensor does not seem to be the issue.

HOWEVER... the beeping has continued. It is the beep, about a one-second interval, that comes on when you turn on the boat's accessory power. When you turn the engine on, it stops. Currently, however, the beeping persists.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Why would this beeping continue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS MALIBU ENTHUSIASTS!

this is completely normal for this boat.

it's doing what it's supposed to do.

why? heck if i know.

relax and enjoy your rig.

This is not normal. The beeping should stop a few seconds after the engine fires. He is saying his does not stop. Right? Unfortunately I do not know why it would be doing that. Good luck.

I don't know much about boats and I've never had the beeping continue after the engine fires but, from what I gather, I think the only time the beeping would continue after engine start is if there is an over heat or low oil pressure problem. You might have a faulty sensor. In fact, I haven't been on the site too long but, I do seem to see a lot of people complaining of oil pressure sensor failures causing the alarm. Maybe pull it out and match it up at a Napa auto parts store. It'd be a cheap guess.

I'm trying to help out my father with his pride and joy, a newly detailed, well-maintained year 2000 Malibu with an Indmar engine.

When launched yesterday, the boat began to take on water due to a loose hose, the 2-inch water cooling system hose. The engine hesitated and then a beeping began. That's when we discovered the leak and the water coming into the engine compartment.

We docked and got the boat up on blocks and eventually figured out that the hose was loose. That solved the leak. All else seemed to be working just fine. All instruments were working, oil pressure was fine, and the oil sensor does not seem to be the issue.

HOWEVER... the beeping has continued. It is the beep, about a one-second interval, that comes on when you turn on the boat's accessory power. When you turn the engine on, it stops. Currently, however, the beeping persists.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Why would this beeping continue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS MALIBU ENTHUSIASTS!

maybe i misunderstood. the bold, above, sounds to me, like it's w/o engine run.

maybe i misunderstood. the bold, above, sounds to me, like it's w/o engine run.

Thank you for all the attention and help.

I should have been more clear. The beeping usually happens until you fire the boat, and then it goes away. We are used to that. HOWEVER, now, even after the boat is fired and the engine appears to be running fine, the beeping still continues. We even did some water skiing on it today and it was fine... except for the annoying beeping.

We consulted with some local marinas and they had also told us to check the oil pressure sensor. We have disconnected that and it continues to beep.

Pistol Pete... do you happen to know where the over-heat sensor is located? We have not disconnected that. If we disconnected that and the beeping stopped, that would be great and we could just replace the sensor.

Appreciate the help! Please bring on any other ideas.

I think that if you disconnect the oil pressure sensor, that sends the same "signal" as there is no oil pressure. I think you might have to ground that wire to the block to make it send a "there's lots of oil pressure" signal. Do a search, people have talked about this a lot.

This may be the temp. sensor, I'm not sure.

Image033.jpg

I think that if you disconnect the oil pressure sensor, that sends the same "signal" as there is no oil pressure. I think you might have to ground that wire to the block to make it send a "there's lots of oil pressure" signal. Do a search, people have talked about this a lot.

This may be the temp. sensor, I'm not sure.

Image033.jpg

On my boat if you pull the wire beeping stops. It is actually a closed switch(grounded)that causes the beeping. They fail closed. So grounding would cause beeping to start again. When the switch is good it is open and therefore no ground. I believe the overheat sensor is up on front of the engine on my boat.

• 1 month later...

On my boat if you pull the wire beeping stops. It is actually a closed switch(grounded)that causes the beeping. They fail closed. So grounding would cause beeping to start again. When the switch is good it is open and therefore no ground. I believe the overheat sensor is up on front of the engine on my boat.

Pistol Pete...

Thank you so much for all of your help. You were dead on with the beeping signaling the broken connection. We replaced it and the beeping stopped.

Tragedy averted. Thank you so much! The Malibu has been beautiful on the water all summer.