Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bilge - Perko switch

old skool malibu

Just wondering if my perko switch has to be on (battery 1, 2 or both) for my bilge to work? I know some manufactures wire directly to the battery which makes sence to me- Iget battery drain leaving the perko switch on. Thanks

You should be able to trace the bilge pump wiring and if it's wired directly to the battery. I didn't wire ours that way, so when it's left in the water overnight I leave Perko set to battery 1.

Mine was wired to the Perko switch and I was always having a problem with one the batteries draining down and dying an early death. This last year I had the pump rewired to the battery and now turn the switch to off when the boat is not being used. I can now leave the boat moored, save the batteries, and know that the bilge pump will be working while the boat is unattended. So far the batteries have been much better and the boat hasn't sunk.

Mine was wired to the Perko switch and I was always having a problem with one the batteries draining down and dying an early death. This last year I had the pump rewired to the battery and now turn the switch to off when the boat is not being used. I can now leave the boat moored, save the batteries, and know that the bilge pump will be working while the boat is unattended. So far the batteries have been much better and the boat hasn't sunk.

When it stops raining I will go down to the water and check if it will operate in the off position. It sounds like when the Perko is in the off position the bilge will not work. I do get battery drain so I was hoping that I could turn off the switch and not have to worry about the boat sinking. I dont see why Malibu doesnt directly wire to the battery?

When it stops raining I will go down to the water and check if it will operate in the off position. It sounds like when the Perko is in the off position the bilge will not work. I do get battery drain so I was hoping that I could turn off the switch and not have to worry about the boat sinking. I dont see why Malibu doesnt directly wire to the battery?

I think Malibu wires the boat without the Perko switch so if the battery is hooked up, the pump will run...

IIRC Perko switches and 2nd batteries are DEALER installed and not part of production line.

I could be wrong...

I think Malibu wires the boat without the Perko switch so if the battery is hooked up, the pump will run...

IIRC Perko switches and 2nd batteries are DEALER installed and not part of production line.

I could be wrong...

I don't remember if mine was wired at the factory or by the dealer. You would think that the factory would get things right, but then you need to remember that they are the same ones that kept on putting the Y for the heater in the wrong place/orientation.

I don't remember if mine was wired at the factory or by the dealer. You would think that the factory would get things right, but then you need to remember that they are the same ones that kept on putting the Y for the heater in the wrong place/orientation.

I just talked to my dealer and it is not wired directly to the battery so if the Perko switch is off so is the bilge. Doesnt make much sence to me...