Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Starter Solenoid Problem???

I am thinking I have a solenoid problem, but wanted to see what you guys think. So here goes.

More often than not, when I go to start the engine for the first time during an outing, the engine will not crank. Fuel pump cycles on, gauges cycle, blower will run at full strength, radio works, etc, motor just won't crank. If I do the 'ol screw driver across the the terminals on the starter trick, it will fire right up. If I immediately shut the engine off, and then try to start it again normally, using the key in the ignition, she will fire up like normal, and will continue to do so all day long. It is just when the engine is cold. I took the starter apart to clean it and make sure there was not any sort of corrosion inside (there wasn't) and put it all back together, and still experienced the problem. SO does this sound like the solenoid to you?

The solenoid is a cheap part so I would just go ahead and replace it if you do it yourself. There is also the ignition to consider but I doubt it.

Does anyone have a part number? I just spent 45 minutes at NAPA and the guy couldn't cross reference anything.

If you left the plug out or there was too much water in your bilge even a few times you could have a starter or solenoid problem. This happened to Dennis Prostar a few years a go when it was only a couple of years old. We would drop his boat into Lake Billy Chinook and no go. I do all of the towing so I just carried my Heavy Duty jumper cables after the first incedent.

The symptom you describe just as likely could be that you have a poor or corroded terminal connection between your battery and the starter/solenoid connection. Not enough juice when it's cold but enough when it's warm.

Actually if you disassemble the starter and solenoid from your engine you may uncover the issue. Hook it back up and see if it starts. Otherwise take the starter and solenoid to your parts guy and see what fits.

I know the marine parts are supposed to be different/better. After the incedent with Dennis boat I don't think the marine part is any better. If it gets submerged a couple of times, you are cooked whether it is marine rated or not. Dennis ended up with a Marccruiser starter on an Indmar engine..

Edited by DONTW8

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose it is possible that the bilge could have been submerged. I just bought the boat a few weeks ago, and the previous owner may have done this. I know for a fact that it wasn't me.

I have had the starter/solenoid off a couple of times. I check for any corrosion, and there wasn't anything. That isn't saying much though because if electronics get wet, like you said, they may be toast without showing any visible signs. I am still hunting for the part number for the solenoid, will try that fix first since it is a realatively cheap fix. If that isn't it, I will have to do the whole started I suppose. I am with you on the specail marine parts.....I don't feel that they offer that much more protection than a normal part.

On a different note, I remember Lake Billy Chinook! I used to live in Oregon City, and we would make the trip to that lake a few times a summer. Awesome lake...I miss it!

If you left the plug out or there was too much water in your bilge even a few times you could have a starter or solenoid problem. This happened to Dennis Prostar a few years a go when it was only a couple of years old. We would drop his boat into Lake Billy Chinook and no go. I do all of the towing so I just carried my Heavy Duty jumper cables after the first incedent.

The symptom you describe just as likely could be that you have a poor or corroded terminal connection between your battery and the starter/solenoid connection. Not enough juice when it's cold but enough when it's warm.

Actually if you disassemble the starter and solenoid from your engine you may uncover the issue. Hook it back up and see if it starts. Otherwise take the starter and solenoid to your parts guy and see what fits.

I know the marine parts are supposed to be different/better. After the incedent with Dennis boat I don't think the marine part is any better. If it gets submerged a couple of times, you are cooked whether it is marine rated or not. Dennis ended up with a Marccruiser starter on an Indmar engine..

the closed bilge on a boat traps fuel vapor.

the marine part does not produce as many arcing sparks as the non-marine unit.

sparks and fuel vapor can produce a nasty.