Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Losing full throttle

I have had a problem losing full throttle over the past few weeks. (2003 VLX Monsoon) It happens with perfect pass on or off. I removed the Perfect pass stepping motor and opened it. everything looked Ok. Perfect pass tightens up when turning key on, but I will randomly get slack in the cable and can only get about 1/2 throttle. It happens with perfect pass on randomly pulling someone I can't get over 15MPH, other times it is fine, and it happens with it off cruising, I'll have full throttle one time and then later I can only get to around 35MPH

Any ideas?

I've had the allen head set screw back out ever so slightly on the stepper motor knob with similar results, may be worthy of a check / replace if it's the least bit gnarled.

I have checked linkage, I removed PP cable from the boat when I took the stepping motor apart and put it back on, spring is good, PP is original from 2003. I'll check the set screw on the knob.

Fuel filter?

It's in the linkage - the perfectpass is slipping on the other side. I can manually turn the knob, or shutting it off/on may help. the engine is running fine, just the throttle mechanically will slip and only open partially. it's been raining here but I will probably be going out today.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up my own post for anyone else having this problem. I got the linkage worked out, verified it was working properly by watching the throttle open on take off. I was still losing power at the top end engine would rev up to 4500 and then drop to 3000 RPM. I changed the fuel filter - same problem - check the fuel pressure and it was dropping to 15 psi. It turned out to be a small screen up inside the input nipple of the fuel pump that was clogged with black particles - I pulled the screen out and cleaned it with brake cleaner and now have full throttle again.