Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response FXI

SkiBum26

What's up with the FXI. Is that an older Sunsetter hull updated. How is the wake on skiing and wakeboarding. I hear nothing about this boat.I checked on one online ,the dealer said it sold but came back in a week cause they wanted a better wakeboard boat. Does that mean the wake is not big? Who's got one?

The FXI is a DD version of the Sunscape 20 LSV (or diamond hull VTX) hull. It is a new hull design brought out a few years ago.

I have no direct experience behind the boat, sorry.

-Chris

The slalom wake is great. Mine came with 500 lbs of rear ballast. Im not a boarder so I dont know much but Ive pulled a few intermediate boarders who thought it was pretty good. Its the same hull as the LXI.

Edited by FXIGUY

I test skied one in 2009 when we ended up buying a RLXI. As others have stated it is the 20 foot Cut Diamond hull. It is shared between the FXI, 20LSV and optional for the VTX.

Even though Malibu got it AWSA approved, it's a step down from the RLXI wake for slalom skiing until you get to really short line lengths. It really skis like the old Sunsetter LX or LXI. It's not a nimble as the RLXI but handles well. The one thing is it feels huge when you compare the interior to an RLXI. Until the FXI and RLXI are side by side, you really sware it's a much bigger boat. The extra beam width and higher freeboard gives you the feeling you are in a 23 foot boat but it's much more maneuverable.

The one we tested had the optional ballast and a power wedge. It's a start but you have to remember it's a direct drive with a slalom skiing inspired hull. With more weight it will definately put wakes out similar to the VTX. Now that my wife and I are surfing, I wish we would have gone with the FXI for the higher free board, but it would have cost us a little slalom performance. We were coming from a Sunsetter LX and it didn't feel right to buy a new boat if the wake wasn't much different for what we do most.

If your not a bouy chaser, want a little more space than the RLXI or want more versatility than the RLXI, it's a really nice boat. I think it's the most underrated boat in Malibu's line.

The slalom wake is great. Mine came with 500 lbs of rear ballast. Im not a boarder so I dont know much but Ive pulled a few intermediate boarders who thought it was pretty good. Its the same hull as the LXI.

It might be a diamond hull, the 20 LSV and VTX which it is the same as is different than the LXi.