Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding Helmet

Levi900RR

I use a protec ace wake when i do a faceplant or fly back and hit my head i dont feel a thing its a great helmet and a great investment for anyone considering one

If it would if you crashed on pavement, why wouldn't it on water?

Pavement and Concrete, and Snow for that matter, has a little less give than water. Plus, I didn't know if the sudden impact would be dampened by a helmet enough. I know with snowboarding helmet's, I have still ended up knocking myself out because the jarring impact. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

One school of thought says the helmet collects energy over a broad area and pinpoints that energy to a small spot where the helmet makes contact with your head. Without the helmet, the energy is dispersed over a broad area and has little impact. Sort of like applying 400 lbs of pressure to your head with my index finger as opposed to applying the same amount of pressure with the palm of my hand. Most of my wakeboarder friends believe in the "pinpoint" theory and ride without a helmet. Since this same crowd has been known to debate whether board shorts should be worn over or under the wetsuit, I believe vanity plays a large role in their decision making process. :Tease3: If the pinpoint theory is true, at least there is some padding where the energy is focused.

I was knocked out once from a brutal faceplant while wearing a helmet. I think the bucket effect from taking the impact to the open side of the helmet stopped my head faster than it would have without the helmet. I would have been better off without the helmet on that one. Another KO came from a side slapper. The helmet probably saved my eardrum on that one. Then there is the matter of bonking your head on a wakeboard or hydrofoil. All things considered, I think the helmet will help more than it hurts.

I just met with a doctor in the emergency room who said the brain floats in fluid and sudden very quick stops can cause concussions because the brain bangs against the skull. I don't think a helmet would help in the particular case of sudden stops because you are still stopping so fast that the brain would do the same thing. Helmets would help in most other situations though.

Just like in the case of seat belts, helmets help more than they hinder.

Vanity definitely plays a big role.

I probably need to start considering a helmet to get my wife off my back because she is none to happy about this. I had a concussion in high school from football 12 years ago, so that is a little scary too that this is my second one. I feel like Merrill Hodge, former PIT FB.

If a helmet works right, that impact will be ever so slightly slower because the foam in the helmet will deform (as it is designed to do) at impact, allowing your skull to keep moving where it wouldn't have been allowed to before. Of course that sort of impact would also be a "helmet replacer."

I've read all the arguments for & against wearing helmets & I think I understand (2 concussions, right?) why people think they don't work. There is also something called a "bucket effect"..... where the helmet can dig into the water & transfer the energy down the spine, possibly causing a neck or back injury instead of a concussion.

Thats all great, but it's all speculation. MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is that I learned how to do a wake backroll on both a AirChair & a wakeboard like 10 yrs ago. In the first couple years I only threw them way outside the wake (AirChair) & not very high. At some point I started trying them over the wake (AirChair & wakeboard), which is harder & has more energy in it. More than a few times I over or under rotated the trick & landed on my side. Obviously there can be a solid hit on the head, or even a whiplash effect when crashing like that. I had both. The neck/back issues were short lived & I worked thru them without too much trouble. But the loosing consciousness issue was hard to overcome, especially the part about not being able to breathe underwater while the lights were out. :unsure:

Initially I used a Gath kayaking helmet. Vanity took it's toll with that helmet (I looked like an egghead, think Mork from Ork). Eventually I found the Protec, which was not as dorky looking, actually cost less, had thicker padding & was more comfortable. I've had the same faux carbon fiber ever since, and have upgraded the chinstrap & padding inside to keep it in shape. I may still look like a dork, but I'm an OLDER DORK, and I OWN that back roll now. :rockon:

2010-06-18115354Large.jpg

Do your wife & kids a favor, save your day job, get a lid. :crazy:

I've read all the arguments for & against wearing helmets & I think I understand (2 concussions, right?) why people think they don't work. There is also something called a "bucket effect"..... where the helmet can dig into the water & transfer the energy down the spine, possibly causing a neck or back injury instead of a concussion.

Thats all great, but it's all speculation. MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE is that I learned how to do a wake backroll on both a AirChair & a wakeboard like 10 yrs ago. In the first couple years I only threw them way outside the wake (AirChair) & not very high. At some point I started trying them over the wake (AirChair & wakeboard), which is harder & has more energy in it. More than a few times I over or under rotated the trick & landed on my side. Obviously there can be a solid hit on the head, or even a whiplash effect when crashing like that. I had both. The neck/back issues were short lived & I worked thru them without too much trouble. But the loosing consciousness issue was hard to overcome, especially the part about not being able to breathe underwater while the lights were out. :unsure:

Initially I used a Gath kayaking helmet. Vanity took it's toll with that helmet (I looked like an egghead, think Mork from Ork). Eventually I found the Protec, which was not as dorky looking, actually cost less, had thicker padding & was more comfortable. I've had the same faux carbon fiber ever since, and have upgraded the chinstrap & padding inside to keep it in shape. I may still look like a dork, but I'm an OLDER DORK, and I OWN that back roll now. :rockon:

2010-06-18115354Large.jpg

Do your wife & kids a favor, save your day job, get a lid. :crazy:

:plus1: :plus1: :plus1:

Vanity definitely plays a big role.

Silly for grownups, unless you are dead set on having a great looking corpse. I'd rather be the dork who rides another day.

Hey Bill, your head may be ok but I think you dislocated your shoulder :crazy::biggrin:

HEhe, thats a whole other story, man. Let it be known that you should let go of the handle BEFORE the shoulder pulls out.

Head, neck, spine, this seems like a no win. :whistle:

Losing consciousness, that's what I would call a short term concern. Glad you got through it.

I think my countdown to surfing sped up.

I am not too extreme with the tricks, but I have crashed on a wakeboard more than once where my head was the first thing to hit the water. I wear a helmet all the time now. Sure I may look goofy for doing it and not busting huge tricks, but I never get back on the boat with a headache! At first I was worried about the 'bucket effect' and having my head ripped off my neck, but after several hard wrecks, it has never occured so badly that I wouldn't wear a helmet again.

I subscribe to the idea that a helmet disperses the force over a great area. Not saying that your brain can't get knocked around, but it won't be as harsh. I also believe that a helemt helps in the event of a head first crash because the helmet is what is actually breaking the surface tension of the water as opposed to your dome.

Kind of like diving.....http://www.ehow.com/video_2353814_minimizing-splash-head-first-diving.html

I wear a helmet after starting to try some inverts. I hit hard once and saw nothing but stars and then black....My kids wear them and now so do I.

First time wake-boarding about 5 years ago, I caught the toe-side edge and went down fast and hard. Ruptured my eardrum and scrambled my eggs. Everything was sideways. Wife came around to pick me up, I grabbed the rope to keep going, got back up, made it about 50 feet and realized I was not in any shape to be standing on top of a slippery piece of fiberglass going 20 mph. I dropped the rope, and when my wife came around to get me, there was a nice trickle of blood (okay, it was mixed in with a little trout-bait ear-wax) coming from my ear. She freaked out, and told me we all had to get helmets. So yes, I wear one. And boy, do I look like the biggest dork you've ever seen. Window-licker on the short bus. My head is a 7 3/4, so the Pro-Tecs were out. I found a Smith snowboarding helmet with the ear flaps. You can imagine the sight -- 44 year old father of 4, 200 pounds, colorful boardshorts, perpetually white skin, XL USCG approved lifejacket, gray helmet that looks like it could be flipped over and used as a punchbowl at a redneck wedding...I am just not a handsome sight, and to make it worse, I'm a horrible wake-boarder. People slow down thinking the Make-A-Wish camera crew is getting footage. My kids wear the Pro-Tecs.

That spill on the board was worse than just about anything I've had in a life-time of skiing. Although I did a hellacious yard sale wipeout coming across the wake the last week, and I don't know how, but my ribs are still sore. Hurts to breathe, to sleep, to eat, to drink...okay, not to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

hahah!!! thanks for making my friday!

First time wake-boarding about 5 years ago, I caught the toe-side edge and went down fast and hard. Ruptured my eardrum and scrambled my eggs. Everything was sideways. Wife came around to pick me up, I grabbed the rope to keep going, got back up, made it about 50 feet and realized I was not in any shape to be standing on top of a slippery piece of fiberglass going 20 mph. I dropped the rope, and when my wife came around to get me, there was a nice trickle of blood (okay, it was mixed in with a little trout-bait ear-wax) coming from my ear. She freaked out, and told me we all had to get helmets. So yes, I wear one. And boy, do I look like the biggest dork you've ever seen. Window-licker on the short bus. My head is a 7 3/4, so the Pro-Tecs were out. I found a Smith snowboarding helmet with the ear flaps. You can imagine the sight -- 44 year old father of 4, 200 pounds, colorful boardshorts, perpetually white skin, XL USCG approved lifejacket, gray helmet that looks like it could be flipped over and used as a punchbowl at a redneck wedding...I am just not a handsome sight, and to make it worse, I'm a horrible wake-boarder. People slow down thinking the Make-A-Wish camera crew is getting footage. My kids wear the Pro-Tecs.

That spill on the board was worse than just about anything I've had in a life-time of skiing. Although I did a hellacious yard sale wipeout coming across the wake the last week, and I don't know how, but my ribs are still sore. Hurts to breathe, to sleep, to eat, to drink...okay, not to drink.

martinarcher

ROFL.gifROFL.gif Good story!

Always wear one, its mandatory behind my boat when wakeboarding; the helmets are made by Protec.

Edited by Kingfish

.......... biggest dork you've ever seen. Window-licker on the short bus. ........... Hurts to breathe, to sleep, to eat, to drink...okay, not to drink.

Hehe, I got the visual. Laughed way out loud too. I tip my beer to you now. And would have several more with you now if you can pull your suction cup off the window. :rockon::crazy::yahoo::lol::rofl:

Look at the bright side, whatever you do to afford your Malibu, your house, your wife & whatever else you do..... you still have it & it's still paying dividends! :rockon:

martinarcher

Hehe, I got the visual. Laughed way out loud too. I tip my beer to you now. And would have several more with you now if you can pull your suction cup off the window. :rockon::crazy::yahoo::lol::rofl:

Look at the bright side, whatever you do to afford your Malibu, your house, your wife & whatever else you do..... you still have it & it's still paying dividends! :rockon:

That awesome. ROFL.gifROFL.gif

No, but i used to. I was freaked out for the whole year last year after my first run i had a HUGE fly swatter. I just couldn't do anything without my helmet. But i'm over it now.