Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding Helmet

Levi900RR

I wanted to get a feel for what people think about this topic.

I was out on a demo day for a wakeboard company that will remain un-named back in 04. The short story is I caught a toe edge during a landing and face planted. The board came off one of my feet and the edge hit me in the side of the head. Compressing my skull into my brain. No long term injurys except some numbness in my left arm, but it was not a good day!

SO.... I wear a helmet, do you?

I don't wear helmet when I just do simple wake jumps that I am comfortable.. I would wear helmet if I do more tricks that I haven't tried.

Edited by Woodsprinter

Mrs. Tyger started wearing a helmet for snow skiing years ago. She finally convinced me to get one and the next year I got hit by a runaway skier who impacted hard with my helmet. I was up and walking away in minutes, while the other guy laid on the ground for a long time, moaning.

Now she is wearing a helmet (even when surfing). I haven't started yet and I do way more surfing than boarding these days, but when I start really working on my board again I will be buying one.

Im glad to see a lot of people wearing one. Around here people look at me like I have 2 heads when I pull mine out.

40 staples and 3 titanium plates will change your mind fast!

Im glad to see a lot of people wearing one. Around here people look at me like I have 2 heads when I pull mine out.

40 staples and 3 titanium plates will change your mind fast!

Is that pic of the guy on the bike in your avatar you? No helmet!?!?!?

I make my kids wear one but I dont have an adult one, all I really do is jump and method a little bit. But I will say a mountain bike helmet saved me bigtime once on an endo crash, limb stuck through the shell and into the foam and crushed that side of the helmet. I didnt even have a scratch up there, hate to see what it would have been like without it.

I go kook-style and sport an old school bike/skate helmet (like the urban bmx or skate park guys would wear). Figure it's hella better than nothing. If I trash it from getting wet, so be it... it was just gathering dust in the garage to begin with.

Like 63Taylor, I've had my mellon preserved several times in bicycle crashes. Once I went over the bars on my road bike going 35mph and literally landed on my head first. Without the helmet, I'm afraid it would have been brains on the pavement. As it was, I cracked the helmet in half and got a lot of road rash, but lived to ride another day.

What is the difference between wake helmet and skateboard helmet? I thought Pro-Tec made them all. I was going to pick one up this weekend.

What is the difference between wake helmet and skateboard helmet? I thought Pro-Tec made them all. I was going to pick one up this weekend.

I've heard/read they use different foam. That could be folk wisdom.

One for sure difference -- ear pads. Don't usually see those on skate/bike helmets, but they are there on the wake helmets.

One for sure difference -- ear pads. Don't usually see those on skate/bike helmets, but they are there on the wake helmets.

I can dig it. Check the link. ProTec does make wake specific helmets.

Shawn, you dont rock the Mike McGill Flyway helmet, do you? Taking it waaayyy back. Flyway with a Schmitt Stix rolling on Gullwings and Bullet 88s. :thumbup:

I have a Pro Tec, Im pretty sure it has some neoprene in the lining... It doesnt fit like an Arai but I got used to it. I feel naked without it at this point.

I can dig it. Check the link. ProTec does make wake specific helmets.

Shawn, you dont rock the Mike McGill Flyway helmet, do you? Taking it waaayyy back. Flyway with a Schmitt Stix rolling on Gullwings and Bullet 88s. :thumbup:

LOL, with all of the nose and tail protectors and copers too?

No, my helmet is a bell generic hardshell bike/skate helmet. The kind you get at walmart for $25. So I can be a good example for the kids when I take them to the skate park.

I don't have a "regular" skate anymore but do have a sector 9 longboard. Actually, here I am riding said board and wearing said helmet...

Funny topic considering I tried my third Raley last night and ended up in the hospital with a concussion. :cry: I’m 0-3 and I don’t think there will be a 4th. :( The brain floats in fluid so the helmet won’t help with sudden stops but the helmet will prevent your board and other things from doing as much damage to your head if the board or something else contacts your head.

That being said, I don’t wear a helmet. :whistle: Just flex or straighten your legs when you crash and you should be fine.

I have been wearing a helmet for like 6 or 7 yrs now.

I've worn one since the day I started wake boarding about 11 years ago. My first one I mounted a mouth guard to like a slalom snow skier would have. It looked dumb but, I had just had a tooth replaced and didn't want to lose any more.

I wear this one. aside from head injuries, you need to protect your eardrums. I put duct tape over the small slots.

You can fill the slots with silicone and let it dry. Then your set to go. Looks better than duct tape imo.

Will a helmet prevent you from getting a concussion or head injury from hitting the water? I realize it will protect you from getting hit by handle or board, but how about a hard fall on the water?

Will a helmet prevent you from getting a concussion or head injury from hitting the water? I realize it will protect you from getting hit by handle or board, but how about a hard fall on the water?

I've had two concussions learning a wake backroll..... nothing but water hitting my head. Both times my buddies pulled me from the water, face down, blowin bubbles.

I've been wearing the Protec Ace Wake with no ear pieces for 5 or 6 yrs now. I've had many mega crashes with it on & never even seen stars or had problems with my ears. :unsure:

If it would if you crashed on pavement, why wouldn't it on water?

If it would if you crashed on pavement, why wouldn't it on water?

:plus1:

An bhay09, yes a helmet will help when you crash attempting raileys. The shell and foam absorb and disperse impact force, just like if you were on pavement, except it's not as hard. Same principle. Just ask Bill! I have worn a helmet for a while now. Once or twice a summer I ride without it, but ususally dial it back a bit to make sure I stay upright.