Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what different hull's would make a multi-use malibu?

quantico

Hello to all, My name is scott. I live in Wisconsin and have been a boating person my entire life. I have mostly owned large sailboats, but have picked up a couple boats that I use on a river that I live next to. My problem is that my river is controlled by a dam and it is not useable again until it is repaired. I have not had water to boat on for a couple years. I have always wanted a ski boat, not so much to ski behind, but maybe pull some tubes around. My next door neighbor bought a malibu F3 euro open bow ski boat a few years ago. He uses it to wakeboard and barefoot ski behind. I am an electrical engineer and good mechanic so I helped him install perfect pass and mount a monster tower. I also replaced his head gaskets and replaced an exhaust manifold two years ago when we got water coming out the spark plug holes. I have worked on many malibu issues and general fixing of boat things, so now I am just chomping at the bit to get a ski boat of my own. Getting up close and personal with many parts and pieces and places inside the boat that many folks never see ... I can tell you that malibu builds a great strong boat. In fact just the sound of a v8 with water gurgling out gets me fired up.

So I am looking for a boat between 15,000 and 20,000 maybe a bit less if I can find something clean. What I want is a hull that can handle a bit of wave action, More V hull and a bit less flat on the bottom. I know malibu builds several different hull designs. I want to know what hull options were available in say 1997 to 2000 or so. I don't think I can afford much newer and hate to get something too much older as it will start needing cushions and stuff that get to be expensive. Also I like the higher horsepower engines. Don't know what the hotter engine choices were in 97 - 2000. Monsoon 340 ??? I know my neighbors 20 ft F3 has 270 hp I believe and that is nice, but I would like some additional HP if possible. Does anyone know what percent of boats are built with higher power engines ??? and is that a huge price boost when used ?? or just something else to evaluate...

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. I am in no hurry , but would like to learn about malibu pricing and models so that I can be ready to make a smart purchase when one comes along. Thanks Scott

MalibuNation

Welcome. I have a 2003 Sunscape 2003 with a diamond hull (vs a wake hull), great cross over boat, skiing and boarding. I'll try to find the chart on the different hulls on the boats if time permits ... sure others will chime in. I don't think the Monsoon 340 was out in the years you're talking about.

Edit

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

Edited by MalibuNation

I have the '03 WS23LSV on a diamond hull.

Thats the best "all event" hull I've seen yet.

With 1/4 tank of gas and all ballast empty we slalom with a wake comparable to Sunsetter DD - that same bump at 28 off but just a tad enhanced.

Then fill the gas tank and load the ballast and drop the wedge for a world class wakeboard wake.

Then load it even more on one side and a world famous surf wake.

I still believe that was the best hull ever made by any boat builder for multiple uses.

Oh and by the way when its all empty, me and The Lovely can zip across a flat lake at a GPS'd 51 mph.

Not to mention its awesome good looks just sittin still.

To be honest I think the difference in the hulls are going to be more of a difference in chine design and stuff like that. I don't believe one would be more v shaped while another is flatter. A v-drive would be more capable of handleing the rough waters because it is easier to get the bow up and they tend to not take as many waves over the bow due to the fact that they sit higher up. So if you are looking for a hull design that is going to make rough waters easier, then one might be better than the other but it isn't going to show you a noticable difference. You really would want a either a big v-drive or just forget malibu and get an I/O because those will handle rough waters much better.

I have the '03 WS23LSV on a diamond hull.

Thats the best "all event" hull I've seen yet.

With 1/4 tank of gas and all ballast empty we slalom with a wake comparable to Sunsetter DD - that same bump at 28 off but just a tad enhanced.

Then fill the gas tank and load the ballast and drop the wedge for a world class wakeboard wake.

Then load it even more on one side and a world famous surf wake.

I still believe that was the best hull ever made by any boat builder for multiple uses.

Oh and by the way when its all empty, me and The Lovely can zip across a flat lake at a GPS'd 51 mph.

Not to mention its awesome good looks just sittin still.

Wow I never once thought about the gas when considering weighing down my boat for boarding or surfing. I can't believe that has never crossed my mind.

Welcome. I have a 2003 Sunscape 2003 with a diamond hull (vs a wake hull), great cross over boat, skiing and boarding. I'll try to find the chart on the different hulls on the boats if time permits ... sure others will chime in. I don't think the Monsoon 340 was out in the years you're talking about.

Edit

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/specs.html

He's right. In 2000, the Monsoon was 325 HP. It still was a great engine.

My boat sucks in rough water...

:plus1:

But there is a thread on here about someone taking theirs (LSV I think) out on Lake Michigan or Erie with decent results.

Alas, my search skills suck.

To be honest I think the difference in the hulls are going to be more of a difference in chine design and stuff like that. I don't believe one would be more v shaped while another is flatter. A v-drive would be more capable of handleing the rough waters because it is easier to get the bow up and they tend to not take as many waves over the bow due to the fact that they sit higher up. So if you are looking for a hull design that is going to make rough waters easier, then one might be better than the other but it isn't going to show you a noticable difference. You really would want a either a big v-drive or just forget malibu and get an I/O because those will handle rough waters much better.

Actually they are, though not by a whole lot.

What makes the v-drive ride higher up ??? I don't want an I/O because they can be really expensive to service.... the v8 inboard is the only design I am interested in.

My boat sucks in rough water...

Mine is fine in rough water. I don't know what y'all are talking about.

Of course - backseat riders have to have their kidneys replaced every other season. And I've found they prefer softer foods. Something about losing their back teeth something something...I don't know what they were talking about.

I don't think it's related though. Kidneys and teeth - so long as you have plenty of them, you're all good with an F3.

What makes the v-drive ride higher up ??? I don't want an I/O because they can be really expensive to service.... the v8 inboard is the only design I am interested in.

If you look at some of the direct drives, they tend to have lower side walls while the sides of the v-drives tend to be more comparable to an I/O.

Also the rear-weight bias of vdrives cause a bow-high pitch which helps soften, somewhat the pounding of the relativeky flat attitude of dd's

martinarcher

Wow I never once thought about the gas when considering weighing down my boat for boarding or surfing. I can't believe that has never crossed my mind.

Right on. We always launch with a full tank. Wakeboard and surf first, ski and barefoot before dark with 1/4-1/2 a tank. At 8lbs a gallon it makes a difference in wake size!

martinarcher

Mine is fine in rough water. I don't know what y'all are talking about.

Of course - backseat riders have to have their kidneys replaced every other season. And I've found they prefer softer foods. Something about losing their back teeth something something...I don't know what they were talking about.

I don't think it's related though. Kidneys and teeth - so long as you have plenty of them, you're all good with an F3.

ROFL.gifROFL.gif I can relate. All the Skier owners should be able to ride the bull for a full 8 seconds if they boat in chop often. Crazy.gif

Basically if you are going to buy a boat for rough waters and it has to be an inboard V8 then a v-drive malibu is what you want. Now I guess someone said there is a difference between the v shape of the two hulls. I had never heard that before and from my understanding the chine was the main difference. Either way, you will be getting a boat that is designed to create a big wake or a small wake. I really doubt you would notice much difference, if any, between the two hulls in rough waters. Again a v-drive will have more weight in the back helping to get the bow up compared to the flat middle engine design of a direct drive. They tend to have the side walls higher up than a direct drive, helping keep water out of the boat. Some also have rear ballast, which you could fill to help bring the bow even further up in the air, not sure if anyone does that but if the waves got big it could be a potential solution.

martinarcher

Hello to all, My name is scott. I live in Wisconsin and have been a boating person my entire life. I have mostly owned large sailboats, but have picked up a couple boats that I use on a river that I live next to. My problem is that my river is controlled by a dam and it is not useable again until it is repaired. I have not had water to boat on for a couple years. I have always wanted a ski boat, not so much to ski behind, but maybe pull some tubes around. My next door neighbor bought a malibu F3 euro open bow ski boat a few years ago. He uses it to wakeboard and barefoot ski behind. I am an electrical engineer and good mechanic so I helped him install perfect pass and mount a monster tower. I also replaced his head gaskets and replaced an exhaust manifold two years ago when we got water coming out the spark plug holes. I have worked on many malibu issues and general fixing of boat things, so now I am just chomping at the bit to get a ski boat of my own. Getting up close and personal with many parts and pieces and places inside the boat that many folks never see ... I can tell you that malibu builds a great strong boat. In fact just the sound of a v8 with water gurgling out gets me fired up.

So I am looking for a boat between 15,000 and 20,000 maybe a bit less if I can find something clean. What I want is a hull that can handle a bit of wave action, More V hull and a bit less flat on the bottom. I know malibu builds several different hull designs. I want to know what hull options were available in say 1997 to 2000 or so. I don't think I can afford much newer and hate to get something too much older as it will start needing cushions and stuff that get to be expensive. Also I like the higher horsepower engines. Don't know what the hotter engine choices were in 97 - 2000. Monsoon 340 ??? I know my neighbors 20 ft F3 has 270 hp I believe and that is nice, but I would like some additional HP if possible. Does anyone know what percent of boats are built with higher power engines ??? and is that a huge price boost when used ?? or just something else to evaluate...

Any information or suggestions would be appreciated. I am in no hurry , but would like to learn about malibu pricing and models so that I can be ready to make a smart purchase when one comes along. Thanks Scott

You and I both! As far as the Malibu hull you want the best thing to ask on the board to get a good answer is what kind of water sports do you want to do with the boat. If your into wakeboarding only, I would steer you toward a V-Drive Bu with the wake hull, if Sking a Response/Skier/or Euro. If both a Sunsetter LXI or V-Drive with the Diamond Hull.

Let us know what you'll mostly be up to behind the boat and we can steer you toward the right hull and models. Oh and yes, most late 90's early 2000 bu's will have 300 or more ponies under the dog box. Our carby 5.7's are pumping our 270 ponies, but also weight quite a bit less which is why they scamper out of the water so fast when loaded lightly.

Sounds like your like me and not afraid to dive into the boat for a repair or maintenance project so a nice used Bu shouldn't scare you a bit. Many people look for warranties, I look for a good price and a solid boat!

I 100% support and respect anyone that wants a Malibu. I think the only thing that scares me is that it seems like your boat will be in rough water a lot. I am not the type to promote a Malibu just because I have one and I think everyone should have one. I will tell someone that if they are going to be in rough waters all the time and if they are really rough, then an I/O is probably the boat for them. So I guess if you just want to make sure you have a boat that can handle rough waters when the time comes, then of course I think a v-drive Malibu is a great option. I just don't want to tell you to go by a Malibu, you will be fine in all conditions, then you have a boat that can't handle the conditions that you are always in with a reasonable level of comfort. I think everyone on this site will tell you if you are getting the wrong boat even if it means pointing you to a different brand.

I do respect that you can and will work on your own boat and I think it is smart to get a boat that you can do exactly that with.

So my only two questions are. How rough are the waters? And how often will you be in these rough waters?

Basically if you are going to buy a boat for rough waters and it has to be an inboard V8 then a v-drive malibu is what you want. Now I guess someone said there is a difference between the v shape of the two hulls. I had never heard that before and from my understanding the chine was the main difference. Either way, you will be getting a boat that is designed to create a big wake or a small wake. I really doubt you would notice much difference, if any, between the two hulls in rough waters. Again a v-drive will have more weight in the back helping to get the bow up compared to the flat middle engine design of a direct drive. They tend to have the side walls higher up than a direct drive, helping keep water out of the boat. Some also have rear ballast, which you could fill to help bring the bow even further up in the air, not sure if anyone does that but if the waves got big it could be a potential solution.

There's a lot more than 2 hulls. The sv23 and sv23 diamond are the most common and you are correct the difference is not the degree of "V", but shape of the hull's features. However, there are 3 different "size" V's in malibu's modern lineup..

There's a lot more than 2 hulls. The sv23 and sv23 diamond are the most common and you are correct the difference is not the degree of "V", but shape of the hull's features. However, there are 3 different "size" V's in malibu's modern lineup..

So how many different hulls are there in any given year?

My understanding was that the is two different types of Hulls, the Wake and Diamond and though there needs to be some altercations made between different size and weighted boats, in general all the Diamonds are pretty similar and all the Wakes are pretty similar. I could defintely be wrong. I actually seem to remember a forum asking about the difference between the Diamond and Wake hull and reading that the biggest difference was the lip on the chine. So the real question is does the diamond hulls with the lift they create make for a better or worse ride in rough water, or is the difference between them too small to really matter when considering the ability to handle rough water.

Edited by wakeboy

So how many different hulls are there in any given year?

My understanding was that the is two different types of Hulls, the Wake and Diamond and though there needs to be some altercations made between different size and weighted boats, in general all the Diamonds are pretty similar and all the Wakes are pretty similar. I could defintely be wrong. I actually seem to remember a forum asking about the difference between the Diamond and Wake hull and reading that the biggest difference was the lip on the chine. So the real question is does the diamond hulls with the lift they create make for a better or worse ride in rough water, or is the difference between them too small to really matter when considering the ability to handle rough water.

It should be noted that the sunscpae 25 is no longer produced which had a 27 degree hull.

I 100% support and respect anyone that wants a Malibu. I think the only thing that scares me is that it seems like your boat will be in rough water a lot. I am not the type to promote a Malibu just because I have one and I think everyone should have one. I will tell someone that if they are going to be in rough waters all the time and if they are really rough, then an I/O is probably the boat for them. So I guess if you just want to make sure you have a boat that can handle rough waters when the time comes, then of course I think a v-drive Malibu is a great option. I just don't want to tell you to go by a Malibu, you will be fine in all conditions, then you have a boat that can't handle the conditions that you are always in with a reasonable level of comfort. I think everyone on this site will tell you if you are getting the wrong boat even if it means pointing you to a different brand.

I do respect that you can and will work on your own boat and I think it is smart to get a boat that you can do exactly that with.

So my only two questions are. How rough are the waters? And how often will you be in these rough waters?

I don't plan on super rough water offshore, I do plan on going to some large lakes where winds will make 2 foot chop + at times. I am used to driving several boats inc my neighbors F3 Euro on my river that is flat as a piece of glass. When our river gets stirred up those wet 2 and 3 foot wakes feel like hitting concrete.... the boat has not had problems, but since I don't plan on using the boat for boarding or skiing I would like the hull to ride as softly as possible. This will be a mixed use boat and trailered to whatever lake I can find that looks interesting. I don't need a ski boat , but I love how they sound and turn and perform. Nothing like holding a right hand turn so my elbow just gets wet until I exit the turn. You just don't get that feeling in a fishing boat or whaler or pontoon or whatever multi use boat people get. I have a lot of driving time in a malibu and just really like it. There are always tradeoffs... backing up a ski boat is not exactly inspiring control wise, but just five seconds of in gear and I can control exactly where I am going forward. Hope that helps.. scott

For the chop I would suggest a v-drive, but it sounds like you like ther handleing performance of a direct drive. if you have no problem with the Euro in the chop, then get a direct drive. I think the big majority is going to be Diamond Hulls. i would just ask to test drive whatever you are looking at and hopefully there will be some chop that day for you to test it on. There are a lot of people on here with more Direct Drive experience, so I am sure they will chime in to help you out on this.