Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swim Platform - Can it support 1990s Stand Up Jet Ski

EchelonMike

Wondering if the swim platform can support the weight of an "old school" jet ski (stand up)? Looks like they don't even weigh 300 lbs. This would just be to get the ski to and from the lake.

Thanks!

Dude,

I weigh almost 300lbs. and my "old skool" swim platform supports me and 2 more adults.

As long as you're not towing the boat down the road with the ski on the platform, you're probably ok.

I am big and yes it will hold that weight... you will want to protect the teak from scratches... why not have someone ride it out where you are going ???

why not have someone ride it out where you are going ???

Guys. he says he wants to use it to take it to and from the lake with his boat. So this would be while being towed on a trailer.

The forces increase dramatically when you hit a bump and everything jumps up and back down and that jet ski will easily be close to 1000 pounds of downforce on the platform. I would not put anything on the platform while towing. You would be better off putting the jet ski in the boat and laying it down on some blankets and strapping it down some how.

I had a couple guys start wrestling on my MC a few years ago.... typical drunk stuff. They fell from the transom to the swimstep & broke one of the brackets. Probably about 375 lbs of beef from 4' high?

I'd say it's not a great idea to haul a jetski from the swimstep. Probably changes the tongue weight quite a bit too, which might make it sway while towing.

I have seen a few trailers actually designed to do this.... haul a boat & a jetski or two. Some were engineered that way from the beginning. Others were backyard mods done to existing trailers. If your starting with a tandem axle trailer, move the boat back a couple feet & build a rack with a couple of bunks in the front for the jetski.

I've seen a jetski placed inside of a DD ski boat before for towing and it seemed like a good idea. I dunno about on the swim deck though.

• 13 years later...

Most old school skis have waterlogged foam too which makes them weigh significantly more than the 300 lbs they should weigh. A front mount hitch with a ski hauler in it is the go to way to move a ski and a boat. Check out ez ski hitch haulers. Really solid product. 

11 hours ago, mxmark4 said:

Most old school skis have waterlogged foam too which makes them weigh significantly more than the 300 lbs they should weigh. A front mount hitch with a ski hauler in it is the go to way to move a ski and a boat. Check out ez ski hitch haulers. Really solid product. 

Used to have a waterlogged SN superjet that I feel like would break the swim platform immediately. Maybe I would consider it while actually in the water so the buoyancy force helps the platform out, but on the road, anything more expensive than some old crappy 550 would be a no from me.

Edited by Jhucke