Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electrical drain on Sunsetter

mikebrennan

My 1999 Sunsetter with the Monsoon engine is draining he battery when the key is off. It draws .4 amps from the "Horn/Ignition/Computer" circuit. It continues to draw .4 amps when I disconnected the horn switch and the ignition switch. do you have any ideas?

unplug both connectors to the MDC control unit. One has a small machine screw in the middle of the connector.

It's the black rectangular box directly behind the instrument cluster. It also happens to have two rubber lines going to it. That's what it was on my parasitic draw problem.

unplug both connectors to the MDC control unit. One has a small machine screw in the middle of the connector.

It's the black rectangular box directly behind the instrument cluster. It also happens to have two rubber lines going to it. That's what it was on my parasitic draw problem.

When I pull the small connector (without the screw), I hear the gauges shuts down and the current goes to zero. Do I have to replace the MDC control unit?

You're unplugging the MDC control unit with the key completely out and everything off as far as you know, correct?

The reason I ask is because I don't understand why you're saying that you hear the guages shut down and then the current drops out. I hope you're not unplugging the connector with the key on.

You're unplugging the MDC control unit with the key completely out and everything off as far as you know, correct?

The reason I ask is because I don't understand why you're saying that you hear the guages shut down and then the current drops out. I hope you're not unplugging the connector with the key on.

The key is out, but the gauges appear to have power. The hour meter shows the hours. When the pull the small plug on the MDC control unit. The hour display shuts off with the other gauges. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why the gaues are still on when the key is off and removed - pulling the wires off the ignition switch does not shut off the gauges.

I was wondering the same thing. Are you saying that your gauges are "working" even with the key off?

If the key is off, and you pull the plug and hear your gauges shut off with the corresponding current drop, your problem may lie somewhere other than the MDC. Like the keyswitch may be shorting out or something. I wouldn't think the gauges should be getting power at all when the key is in the off position.

EDIT: OOPS, you beat me to the punch (or submit post button) with your post...sorry!

Edited by rts
I was wondering the same thing.  Are you saying that your gauges are "working" even with the key off?

If the key is off, and you pull the plug and hear your gauges shut off with the corresponding current drop, your problem may lie somewhere other than the MDC.  Like the keyswitch may be shorting out or something.  I wouldn't think the gauges should be getting power at all when the key is in the off position.

EDIT:  OOPS, you beat me to the punch (or submit post button) with your post...sorry!

Is it possible to get electrical diagram from Malibu?

Here's the answer

pulling the wires off the ignition switch does not shut off the gauges.

That means that the MDC contol unit is powering itself when it shouldn't. If there's no signal coming from the ign. sw. to the control unit to turn on, the MDC control unit is bad.

This is not an uncommon failure. A new one is approx. $300.

When you replace it, take note of the label that says something like 'this side up' and make sure it's mounted with the correct orientation.